Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Heartbleed internet security bug
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Apr 09, 2014 8:29 am 
You will likely be reading about the heartbleed internet security bug over the next few days. Here is a page put up by the security firm that co-discovered this problem: http://heartbleed.com/ This is different - and more dangerous - than prior worms, viruses, etc. This security hole is in the software that encrypts things like your credit card number and your login name and password. The big players (Google, Facebook, etc) will quickly fix this. The smaller players - maybe not so quick - or maybe not at all. Sorry for the bummer, wish I had better news. [edit] Good article from Krebs: http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/04/heartbleed-bug-exposes-passwords-web-site-encryption-keys/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostWed Apr 09, 2014 8:54 am 
This article goes into even more detail. There is a link in the article and another link in the comments to test a site to see if it is vulnerable. I checked several of my financial institutions and they all passed. Yahoo is passing but it was initially reported that it was vulnerable. There is nothing you can do at this point until all the sites have been fixed other than not log in to the sites. After they have been fixed, you probably should change your password. I hope they at least provide a list of the sites that did have the vulnerability.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Apr 09, 2014 8:57 am 
In addition to the one Marta found, here is another tool you can use to test for this problem: http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Apr 12, 2014 9:10 pm 
Three ‘big picture’ things everyone needs to know 1. The heartbleed bug exists in the software that is on many home routers. 2. Using a mobile app on *any* device might expose your data to this bug. 3. Firewalls, anti-virus software and all their kin provide no protection now or in the future against this bug. If your data is exposed to the this bug, it can be scooped up by the bad guys. One security expert has opined that on a scale of 1 to 10 the heartbleed bug is an “11”. Good and bad versions of OpenSSL The bug results from a bit of sloppy programming in open source software called OpenSSL. This software encrypts data and since it is free it is very widely used. OpenSSL versions 1.0.1 through 1.0.1f (inclusive) have the heartbleed bug. The following OpenSSL versions do *not* have the heartbleed bug: 0.9.8 branch, 1.0.0 branch, 1.0.1g The bug allows the bad guys to obtain copy of data stored in memory. That data could easily be ‘in the clear’ (i.e. not encrypted) and be things like your credit card number and bank password. Get the picture? Tiny sliver of good news This bug only lets the bad guys read data from memory. They cannot upload anything to you via just this bug. Also, this bug does not replicate. And now back to the bad news... Routers If your router has the heartbleed bug then the bad guys can get copies of stuff in the router’s memory. Yes, this can easily include your credit card number, bank password, etc. Here is a table that lists a bunch of routers that all use OpenSSL: http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/benchmark.openssl Click the "device" column heading to sort this table by router name. The "OpenSSL" column gives the version number of OpenSSL. Note how many different routers contain a version of OpenSSL that includes this bug!!! If you want to try to test your router and your router allows access via telnet (not all routers allow telnet access), then you should be able to test your router. This involves using telnet to access your router and then asking your router to tell you (a) whether or not OpenSSL is on your router and, if so, (b) the version number. Instructions for doing this are provided below and are the only way I know about to find out for certain if your router software has the heartbleed bug. You might start by trying to find out if your router includes the telnet feature. Google: telnet (your router model) Since the telnet feature on a router is usually ‘off’ by default, you will need to turn it ‘on’. Try entering the router IP address into your browser’s address bar. (Google: find my router IP address) Hopefully you will then be prompted to enter the router username and password. The default username on many routers is admin or root. If you are able to access your router’s software, then the telnet feature might be under a tab called ‘advanced’ or ‘administrative’. When you find it, turn it on. And when you are done with all this, remember to turn telnet back off since it can present a security hole. Next, you need to enable the telnet client that is part of windows (I know nothing about macs). Windows XP includes a telnet client and it is already enabled. If you have windows 7 or 8 then google: windows 7 (or 8) enable telnet. At this point telnet is ‘on’ in your router and you have enabled the telnet client on your PC. Next you want to use your telnet client to connect to your router. Google: how to telnet to router Hopefully you have now been able to (1) open a command window and (2) get it to give you a telnet prompt. That means the telnet client is running. Now enter this command to open port 23 on your router: o x.x.x.x 23 That is the letter o and not a zero. x.x.x.x is the router ip address. 23 is the typical router port for telnet. You should now be prompted to enter the username and password for your router. After you enter that info, you will see a new type of prompt in the command window. Enter this command: openssl version -v If your router has OpenSSL, it will display the verison number. When I do this, I see: OpenSSL 1.0.0j 10 May 2012 This is one of the ‘good’ versions of SSL. Now enter ctrl-] to get back to a telnet prompt, then enter q to quit telnet. Close the command window. Use your browser to access your router’s software and turn telnet off in your router. If your router software has the heartbleed bug, then you have exactly two choices. You could wait for the router manufacturer or your internet provider to issue new firmware for your router that does not include this bug. Or you can buy a new router. If you decide to buy a router then Linksys is the only manufacturer that has announced that none of their routers use OpenSSL. I suggest you consider the linksys E2500 or higher number in the 'E' series. That model has plenty of features to let you connect your various devices. Linksys also has a "wrt" line that appear to be older models. And they have a fancy "EA" line but if you need one of those then you likely already know that and do not need any advice from me. Possible danger using mobile apps See: http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobegan/2014/04/11/a-billion-smartphones-users-may-be-affected-by-the-heartbleed-security-flaw/ http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9247632/Heartbleed_flaw_affects_mobile_apps_too

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 8:44 am 
So why is there SO little interest in this? I find it quite disturbing. Thanks for the info Joey. I hope we are all safer than we think we are... paranoid.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
sten

sten
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 9:15 am 
Probably because it sends us off to do some research on our routers, commonly used websites etc.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 9:20 am 
I found a website where you can test your router for the heartbleed bug. All the other testers I have seen only let you test by entering a domain name like yahoo.com. 1. You first need to know the IP address that your router uses to communicate with the internet. This is different than the IP address you use to communicate between your PC and your router. Do a google search on: what is my ip Google displays your internet IP address in black above the list of hits. Write it down. 2. Go to this website: http://www.nagios.com/heartbleed-tester Type your ip address in the ‘host’ field. You do not need to change the other settings. Run the test. This server is very busy so the test may take a few minutes to complete. A buddy that has a very basic router from century link was unable to run this test. A neighbor with a different router was able to run the test and was "not vulnerable" to the bug. Please post your results. I think we all need a sense for the scope of this problem in the context of routers.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 9:29 am 
Home router vulnerability issues are a bit complicated. To be vulnerable to Heartbleed the router has to be acting as an SSL server. If it is merely passing SSL traffic it is not vulnerable. So that generally means VPN or, more importantly for typical home routers, remote management. If you log in to your router you can check to see if remote management is turned on. I think most routers are typically shipped with remote management turned off, but I'm not sure about that. For accessing telnet on OS X go to Applications->Utilities and open Terminal. Then go to Shell->New Remote Connection... and choose Remote Login (telnet). There you can enter your router's address and follow Joey's instructions.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 9:34 am 
I tested my Cisco E3000 and it came back not vulnerable.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 11:06 am 
Thanks for the new link. NOT VULNERABLE! twirl.gif Netgear WNR2000 I'll do the workplace computers tomorrow.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 12:34 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
Home router vulnerability issues are a bit complicated. To be vulnerable to Heartbleed the router has to be acting as an SSL server. If it is merely passing SSL traffic it is not vulnerable. So that generally means VPN or, more importantly for typical home routers, remote management.
Thanks Brian. I also posted a comment at http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/04/heartbleed-bug-exposes-passwords-web-site-encryption-keys/comment-page-3/#comment-241119 and was suprised when I got a prompt reply from Krebs. Here is my Q and his A: Q: Assuming a router has a ‘bad’ version of OpenSSL, can the heartbleed bug be exploited on the router if (1) the router is not operating as a VPN server and (2) remote management is ‘off’ on the router? If the answer is ‘no’ the bug cannot be exploited on a router configured as I have described, then 99.9999% of home users do not need to worry about their router (assuming the router was shipped with remote management ‘off’). A: The only way this would be an issue is for people who have remote access turned on; on top of that, I’m not sure how many home routers are going to be using the vulnerable openssl component, which is relatively recent. My guess is most consumer-grade router hardware is going to be fairly old.

ejain

ejain
PostMon Apr 14, 2014 12:19 am 
marta wrote:
After they have been fixed, you probably should change your password.
Changing passwords is pointless if your browser won't fail if it is unable to verify that the certificate of a site it is connecting to hasn't been revoked; none of the popular browsers do this by default (for practical reasons)...

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostMon Apr 14, 2014 6:35 am 
The website says that my Zyxel PK5000Z is not vulnerable. This is an older router/modem. Thank you for the info Joey. Edit: BEC's 7200TN R2 shows up as not vulnerable.

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostMon Apr 14, 2014 9:35 am 
ejain wrote:
marta wrote:
After they have been fixed, you probably should change your password.
Changing passwords is pointless if your browser won't fail if it is unable to verify that the certificate of a site it is connecting to hasn't been revoked; none of the popular browsers do this by default (for practical reasons)...
True. Plus the site has to revoke it - not just reissue it. This will be interesting to see what is mentioned in the upcoming week.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Apr 14, 2014 4:41 pm