Forum Index > Trail Talk > Chopper Rescues NWhiker
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Frosty

Frosty
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 7:21 am 
Looks pretty bad. Two at once, that's even worse. At least I have had the luck to have had both of mine 4 years apart. The first one was worse than this one. Recovery is a long journey for sure, but every surgery, every new cast gets you closer to walking (and skiing) again. wheelchair.gif

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 8:17 am 
Dane wrote:
warning graphic photo
That's going to give me nightmares! eek.gif But you're in good hands. Modern medicine is one of the closest things there is to a miracle. You'll be in the mountains again before you know it.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 10:10 am 
best of luck on recovery! don't be afraid to ask for help!

wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 10:34 am 
The rehab will be a lifelong project. Start calling around to the various yoga schools in Seattle to find someone who knows what they're doing and has experience with injury rehab. You might start with Center for Yoga, Richard Schachtel; he may not be the best fit but he could point you in the right direction. My broken ankle quickly healed -- but only 95%. It was fully 18 months later that I recognized, while doing yoga, how I was favoring it; so I started challenging it more -- it was rather subtle differences in the way was putting my weight on the foot -- I could feel the scar tissue ripping apart slowly (ouch), got the full 100% mobility back, and no trouble since. They don't necessarily heal themselves; you have to make them heal, and do routine maintenance. Take inspiration from a guy I knew once -- he landed 40' from the truck after it hit a mine in Vietnam -- he had a plate in his skull, a metal knee, etc. etc. -- they told him he'd never walk again, not to bother even trying -- I'd never have suspected he'd ever been hurt if he hadn't told me.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Hiker Chick

Hiker Chick
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 10:39 am 
Dane.. I am SO sorry. (((HUGE HUGS))) and prayers for a speedy recovery. I am thankful your injuries weren't worse.

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito. Silence is golden and duct tape is silver. I don't write trip reports.
I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 11:22 am 
Take care, and don't attempt any Glacier Peak circumnavigations in two months like some nuts around here... smile.gif

hotpantz

hotpantz
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 4:16 pm 
Yikes, Dane. I am so sorry to hear about and see your accident, but I'm glad you are safe. Ankle rehab can be tricky, but I've seen many patients do very well, and get back to all they love doing. I can tell you are the type of person that stays positive and will work hard, and both of those things get you most of the way there. If I can help in any way with my knowledge as a PT, please don't hesitate to ask. How long will you be in the hospital?

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 4:59 pm 
hey Dane….i wanted to wish you well here, too! OMG…i looked at the photo despite the warning! eek.gif did you photograph your feet? what! you had nothing else better to do while waiting to be rescued? pretty cool actually…which means you were either on a huge adrenaline high or bored! biggrin.gif sending lots of hugs and love your way! keep on smiling! up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
LewisGoes

LewisGoes
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 6:08 pm 
Wow! Hoping for a speedy recovery for you. Focus forward!

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 6:18 pm 
Dane, best of luck with your recovery.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 6:46 pm 
Thanks again, everybody. I expect to be in the hospital for another week. Third and hopefully final surgery is on Monday; I lost a lot of soft tissue in my right foot due to the severe dislocation of my talus bone (the largest remaining piece of it anyway) that could not be reduced until 10hrs after my fall. They're going to remove a small muscle from my inner thigh and put that in my foot, grafting some skin over it. I haven't gotten any real prognosis yet but I've been getting ballpark figures like 10-12 weeks in a wheelchair, 10wks until I can start weighting my left leg and 8wks until the right, a year for full recovery/as close as I'm going to get, and some warnings about range of motion and arthritis in my ankles.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 7:06 pm 
bobbi, we were on that ledge for about 5hrs so Brett and I had plenty of time to goof off, reminisce and plan some future adventures biggrin.gif those shoes were brand new tho, damnit!

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 7:51 pm 
Dane wrote:
those shoes were brand new tho, damnit!
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif Spoken like a true climber! up.gif up.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 7:53 pm 
Dane: you'll fit back into those shoes in no time! or you can 'hang it' like a trophy because better your feet than your head! weird question but do you know if you will loose some height? just checking because if yes, than for sure i do not ever want to have your injury! i'm short enough embarassedlaugh.gif seriously, Mark and i are totally thinking of you! wish we were closer. he is actually in seattle but his motorcycle friends are keeping him busy! what is your room number at Harborview? off to BarN9ne in an hour+. will toast a drink to you! cheers.gif namaste!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 8:06 pm 
Wow, Dane. I had not realized this thread was about you from the forum until today. We've never met, but I have long enjoyed your trip reports of your inspirational journeys and hikes. I am so sorry to hear of your accident and wish you a speedy recovery. I know that you are a long way from the more active part of the healing process, but when the time comes, I echo wolffie's recommendation.
wolffie wrote:
The rehab will be a lifelong project. Start calling around to the various yoga schools in Seattle to find someone who knows what they're doing and has experience with injury rehab. You might start with the Center for Yoga, Richard Schachtel; he may not be the best fit but he could point you in the right direction.
I have been using yoga these past two years to work on strength, balance, flexibility and injury repair. I have been to a number of other studios over the years and the quality varies in style and teaching. Richard is excellent and there are others I am sure. When that time comes, consider it along with your physical therapy. Hang in there. ~z