Forum Index > Trail Talk > Chopper Rescues NWhiker
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 9:58 pm 
yes heartliy agree with all the well wishers...hope your out into the high country again later this summer up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Apr 14, 2014 7:51 am 
If you haven't already, you might keep your sanity by taking up kayaking. The Pygmy Kayak guy had a hip injury so started kayaking instead of hiking.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Apr 15, 2014 12:41 am 
Geez Dane! I'm pretty sure those joints are not meant to bend that way. Seriously dude, wishing you patience and fortitude on your journey of recovery. Just a different kind of opportunity to learn about and know thyself.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostTue Apr 15, 2014 6:53 am 
Sorry to hear about this Dane! I'll second the kayaking idea. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Don

Don
PostTue Apr 15, 2014 8:12 am 
Wow, Dane. I wish I had not clicked on that link as well. I certainly send my best wishes and hope you have a speedy recovery - one that hopefully exceeds your expectations and gets you back out enjoying the things you love. Take care of yourself.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Apr 15, 2014 10:31 pm 
Wow, Dane. I'm sure you've already considered the other places on your bod where that kind of force would have left you with far fewer prospects for recovery. But still, it sounds like a very challenging road ahead. I wish you the best. And thanks for the picture. It gives us a good idea of the severity, without being especially grotesque. Too bad about the shoes.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Mtn Man
Snow addict

Mtn Man
Snow addict
PostWed Apr 16, 2014 12:32 pm 
Heal up Dane. +++++++vibes+++++++ B)

Mmmmm, backcountry...
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 10:07 am 
Vibes, Dane. You're a tough guy and you'll get back out there. (FWIW, gimpy ankles usually do fine in AT ski boots wink.gif )

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 4:33 pm 
Dane, we've exchanged a few messages, but I'm mostly just an avid reader of your reports, among my favorites ever. But it's obvious from those reports -- you are a person who can find the beauty, joy, and excitement of any place you can get to, whether it's 20 miles in or 2, 5,000 feet up or 50. You will continue to appreciate life and the outdoors whatever the extent of your recovery -- which I hope is as close to 100% as can be. More good vibes, and keep us posted on your recovery -- and the rest of your adventures!

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 7:00 am 
Dane is scheduled for his 6th surgery tomorrow….send good vibes/karma his way! later he'll most likely be sent to a rehab facility! hang in there, Dane! keep smiling! biggrin.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 4:07 pm 
Best of luck with the healing process Dane. Your good attitude will take you far. I second the idea of skiing and ski touring! up.gif

marydave
Musical Hikers

marydave
Musical Hikers
PostFri Apr 25, 2014 8:40 am 
Sending positive vibes Dane's way. Ever since the Olympics mega-report I've been a fan.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon May 05, 2014 7:37 pm 
Dane is now home! up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
RichP

RichP
PostMon May 05, 2014 8:52 pm 
bobbi wrote:
Dane is now home! up.gif
That's good news. up.gif up.gif up.gif

maytree

maytree
PostSat Jul 12, 2014 5:07 pm 
Dane, My son is a mountaineer also. I sent him your TR on the Olympics (where I live) just last week. He much prefers it on the other side and is not a fan of the Peninsula. Then he sent me this news. I did that to my left ankle in July 2010. Actually right near my house, almost home. I only had to wait 20 minutes for the EMT's and dilaudid up the snooter, and I cannot imagine how long it took them to get you rescued. I am not dissin' them, I'm just in awe of your control and strength. I tore/broke everything you can, looks like you did too, piledriver fractures (expletive!) I blew off all the cartilage and the arthritis is not nearly as bad as they tell you. Way overrated! I am 64 years old and you have age on your side, it's true about young bones. The worst is over and you will start feeling better every day. I got into a deep funk and didn't think I'd walk again and I can still do trail hikes, everything but run. There are some good things; you can make your friends do everything up.gif for you that you would never before ask. And learn to ask, you do need to rest and move slowly. I even got my neighbor to come over and read to me! agree.gif For me humor is crucial, especially dumb stuff like 'dogshaming'. Laugh everyday if you can. I am a very wimpy cry baby. If I could do it, it will be a breeze for you. I have a foot of titanium, 18 screws and lots of putty, but I suspect you beat my record. Hope you are smiling soon and planning many a great trip. I am in awe of you. eek.gif