Forum Index > Trail Talk > Chopper Rescues NWhiker
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AR

AR
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 4:59 pm 
Take care Dane! Please be patient with the recovery. Read Iron's story too. I've been working with gout for a while and it seems the whole damn process has to be rewritten. rockband.gif

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 9:57 pm 
these are Dane's last update june 25 I've been weight bearing and crutching around for a couple weeks now. I can walk without support with a mostly natural gait, my balance is coming back fast. I can do quite a lot of things, just not for very long or else I feel it in my ankles. 7/7/2014 It's been 3 months today since I broke both my ankles in a climbing accident. I'm walking unaided, cycling daily and easing back into work in a couple weeks. I've still got a ways to go before I'm spending long days in the mountains but I'm stoked to be regaining my physical and financial independence so quickly!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Spotly

Spotly
PostMon Jul 14, 2014 9:14 am 
bobbi wrote:
I'm stoked to be regaining my physical and financial independence so quickly!
That's great news for sure smile.gif I hope you're seeing that those rough hikes and climbs are going to be a possiblility after all.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostTue Jun 18, 2019 1:21 pm 
Matt wrote:
Heal well, Dane. For anyone who hasn't read it before, here's an epic trip report that shows the scale of Dane's accomplishments: 50 Days in the Olympic Mountains.
I remember reading that trip report in August of 2010 like it was yesterday. Reading that TR honestly is one of the reasons I started climbing, and I owe a lot to Dane for writing that. Meeting him at the NWH gathering the next year was awesome as well. It's easily one of the best TRs I've ever read, and getting those opportunities to climb with him in 2013, the amazing trips we had was bittersweet. Sorry to bring this thread back to life (I missed it in 2014), but know Dane has been on my mind throughout the past 5 years since I haven't heard from him since his injury. I'm glad to finally find out he's doing well (thanks Bobbi!!). If you're out there Dane it'd be awesome to catch up!

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Jun 19, 2019 3:32 pm 
If you ever get an injury like that, I recommend you take up yoga and make it a lifelong practice. My broken ankle (1980?) was not nearly as bad, but they warned me I'd be a candidate for arthritis. Yoga was and is my rehab. Never had any trouble with it. Not sure it would've healed if I hadn't made it heal. It quickly reached a plateau with maybe 2% impaired range, but this was recovered 18 months later after, for some reason, I started paying more attention to it. Dane sold me a nice ice ax before the accident; why I remember him.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.