Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Is this labeling correct or is it another OUTRAGE?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 4:59 pm 
OK, I am lazy. My garden is small due to rocks. I purchased 5 bags of STEER manure. I've wondered, is steer manure better than bull manure or cow manure? How do we know it really came from steers? Might there be stray cow poopage in the mix?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 6:33 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I purchased 5 bags of STEER manure.
Ok, I'm no expert here but I thought the steers (not to mention the cows) gave that stuff out for free.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 7:10 pm 
Wouldn't Bull manure be more "fertile" than Steer manure? clown.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
packratty

packratty
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 8:02 pm 
maybe it depends what the bovine is eating. Lots of steers are in feedlots eating grain to get fat and tasty grainfed for consumers that like/are use to that. Feedlot poo would be easy to scoop up and bag, too. Bulls and Cows are typically in pastures eating grass or hay and whatever is cheap and will keep them healthy for raising their calves or impregnating the heifers, but not necessarily tasty to eat. Dairy cow poo would probably be similar to steer manure. I have no idea, really, though.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 8:16 pm 
Actually, having owned horses for 25+ years, and while not claiming to be an expert, I do at least have a modestly informed opinion on subjects of large critter poopage. This is truly amazing stuff (trust me). Turns out that an oat seed can (1) go through the roller mill and be squished flat before being poured into the 50 lb bag of feed, (2) go through the horse's chompers and be gnawed on a bit, (3) complete the trip though the horse stomach and come out the other end, (4) sit in our 160 degree compost pile for awhile, (5) get tilled into our garden as finished composted manure and (6) happily grow a new oat plant in the garden. Sure hope the cattle that filled up those bags you bought weren't eating any oats!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 11:40 pm 
Cow vs Steer manure http://www.ehow.com/info_8059526_difference-cow-manure-steer-manure.html Bull manure is harder to come by -- since only a few select males are left intact to fertilize the herd.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Apr 14, 2014 7:42 am 
Joey wrote:
Ok, I'm no expert here but I thought the steers (not to mention the cows) gave that stuff out for free.
I am embarrassed by going the easy but spendy route. That was a $10 purchase. paranoid.gif There are some people down the road that have horse poopage. It must be aged before putting on the garden. I don't worry about weeds, they are part of the process.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Apr 14, 2014 8:14 am 
I'd go for the bull maneuer just so I could put up a sign that says "bull sh##"

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Apr 14, 2014 10:17 am 
congrats on doing a garden. I'm trying one out too.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostMon Apr 14, 2014 11:20 am 
You can usually find a lot of free bull manure in the stewardship threads.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Apr 14, 2014 3:47 pm 
I'm thinking I should call Get Jesse to see if that is false labeling. It seems to me that there are also quite a few old cows and bulls in those feedlots. smile.gif

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 9:29 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Joey wrote:
I am embarrassed by going the easy but spendy route. That was a $10 purchase. paranoid.gif
I think the hard part is getting the steers to package up their poo into nice little bags and wheel it into the stores for free...