Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Arrowsmith, Vancouver Island - September 29, 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSat Nov 02, 2019 4:24 am 
Went with Steven, Connor, Mel and Vlad to do Arrowsmith. The last time we were on the island we had planned to get it, but the access roads are often closed for logging, despite what the website says. Mount Arrowsmith - 5968' This peak is very popular on good weather weekends when the road is open. Lot's of gain and very steep. Only a couple moves of class 3 and a well established climbers path on the southwest rib. It's nice to be able see large bodies of water off both sides of the peak.
start with this
start with this
false summit
false summit
Arrowsmith only took us 3.5 hours round-trip which includes a half hour on the summit. We wanted to make sure we caught a ferry back to the main land, but we also wanted another peak, so we decided to risk it and move quickly.
Vladimir
Vladimir
Port Alberni
Port Alberni
Cokely
Cokely
Straight of Georgia
Straight of Georgia
Fishtail Lake
Fishtail Lake
Arrowsmith summit
Arrowsmith summit
crowds
crowds
Mount Benson - 3356' Crossed the bridge over Witchcraft Lake and took the steepest most direct trail to the summit. There is a vast network of trails and old roads here. Two summits of nearly equal height and great views of the Straight of Georgia. 2.5 hours round-trip with 25 minutes on the summit.
Witchcraft Lake
Witchcraft Lake
a pecker
a pecker
Mel
Mel
Arrowsmith
Arrowsmith
Connor and Mel
Connor and Mel
Benson summit
Benson summit
Lasqueti and Taxada Islands
Lasqueti and Taxada Islands

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Nov 03, 2019 6:11 am 
Gimpilator wrote:
Arrowsmith only took us 3.5 hours round-trip which includes a half hour on the summit. We wanted to make sure we caught a ferry back to the main land, but we also wanted another peak, so we decided to risk it and move quickly.
What an interesting report, it looks to me like a fine hike/scramble! Especially up the class 3 rock, that does look like fun. And I DO have to wonder, just what might those structures be??? I first thought maybe weather sensors, but there are no exposed elements, so my next guess is radio repeaters, all enclosed inside the shelters. Must be significant wind/snow/ice up there during the winter would be my guess.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Nov 03, 2019 2:39 pm 
I think you're right about them being repeaters. I have seen a few of this model in Washington over the years and a bunch in Canada. There's one like this on Zi Iob on Lost Ridge. The Canadians call them "dildos".