Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Ever had a had a negative confrontation with another hiker?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Apr 16, 2014 3:10 pm 
packratty wrote:
I have some social anxiety and sometimes I cannot make my voice work to say hi. It comes out as a croak, and when I think thats going to happen sometimes I dont return a greeting.
Maybe I'd be better off using that approach. It's not unusual for me to speak my first words of the day when I see my first hiker on the trail. I croak. I chirp. And everything else in between. I never know what the exhaled air will sound like after passing through a cold larynx.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostWed Apr 16, 2014 4:56 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
They were not intolerant of other trail users, they were intolerant of their toys, big difference.wink.gif
Yep. And as detetk apparently missed, it's the d-bags who break the rules (e.g. poachers) who I have a problem with. And by the way detetk, on multi-use trails, as a friendly reminder the right of way goes equestrian then hikers and then wheels. So don't get the MTB or moto panties / shorts in a twist when hikers or equestrians rightfully expect the wheels to yield to the feet and hooves. Those are the rules. Oh, and when I've been riding my MTB on multi use trails, I've never had a problem when meeting hikers since I yield for head on encounters and I'm courteous and ASK to pass when approaching from behind, instead of just yelling "on your left" or some such BS as I barrel by. Jerk MTBers are their own worst enemies.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 16, 2014 5:28 pm 
ditto.gif in Canada there are lots of multiuser trails and few conflicts. I always used a bell an thanked all who moved aside, they are a polite people. On the downhill you had few conflicts as drops were short and usually with good sight lines. You just waited until the way was clear before descending.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
detekt

detekt
PostWed Apr 16, 2014 6:04 pm 
Quote:
Yep. And as detetk apparently missed, it's the d-bags who break the rules (e.g. poachers) who I have a problem with. And by the way detetk, on multi-use trails, as a friendly reminder the right of way goes equestrian then hikers and then wheels. So don't get the MTB or moto panties / shorts in a twist when hikers or equestrians rightfully expect the wheels to yield to the feet and hooves. Those are the rules. Oh, and when I've been riding my MTB on multi use trails, I've never had a problem when meeting hikers since I yield for head on encounters and I'm courteous and ASK to pass when approaching from behind, instead of just yelling "on your left" or some such BS as I barrel by. Jerk MTBers are their own worst enemies.
Token Civilian, there is no need to remind me of who has the right of way on multi-use trails and I completely agree that poaching is unacceptable. Myself and everyone I ride with always yield to hikers & horses and descend in a controlled manner. Sometimes you can do everything right yet a cranky hiker will still not be happy to see wheels on the trail. Not sure who's "panties / shorts are in a twist" here.

venom

venom
PostWed Apr 16, 2014 6:28 pm 
I have never had what I considered to be a negative confrontation with a hiker. However, the other hikers may have had a different view about their confrontation with me. lol.gif What can I say? ace.gif

venom

venom
PostWed Apr 16, 2014 7:06 pm 
whavens2w2 wrote:
Also had an off-leash dog bite my on-leash dog. The owner heard me yelling (she was out of sight around a corner) and I immediately heard the sound of the dog's shock collar going off. If your dog is not well-behaved enough to go without a remote controlled shock collar, it should probably be on a leash.
Wow. hairy.gif You sound pretty casual about the encounter. What if, instead of it being your dog, it had been your 3-year old, and the child had gotten half it's face ripped off by the other dog?

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostWed Apr 16, 2014 8:27 pm 
detekt wrote:
The only negative encounters I've witness are rude hikers on multiuse trails. That Spring/Manning styled selfishness still lingers with some folks. Moto & mtn bikers are typically very considerate of hikers, it seems that there is a small segment of hikers that just don't like to share the trails.
That's been my and my wife's experience. But most of the people in here are hostile toward the idea of shared use trails. The outdoors belongs to my user group and no one else is the attitude.

DestinationUp
Gearluster

DestinationUp
Gearluster
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 9:02 am 
detekt wrote:
The only negative encounters I've witness are rude hikers on multiuse trails. That Spring/Manning styled selfishness still lingers with some folks. Moto & mtn bikers are typically very considerate of hikers, it seems that there is a small segment of hikers that just don't like to share the trails.
I was one of those hikers a couple of years ago. There were several signs indicating which direction was hikers only, and which direction was multiple use. I read it incorrectly, and chewed out a couple of motorbikers who were riding in a legitimate place. Sorry if that was anyone here! Anyway, the trail was in really wretched shape, and I whacked out my knee pretty badly near the top. I was too embarrassed to ask for help from the motorbikers. So I had six miles/4K downhill to repent of my sins; the injury is still with me, reminding me not to be so prideful and obnoxious #facepalm

Geek, wife, mom, Venturing Crew Advisor, perennially waiting for meltout.
herdingcats
inherited Wanderlüst

herdingcats
inherited Wanderlüst
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 9:27 am 
^^ I hear ya. Life has a way of teaching it's own lessons, doesn't it? We've all been there. For those that haven't, they will.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 12:27 pm 
alpendave wrote:
Yes, once. I got after some kids that were making a very, very conspicuous ring of rocks in a snowfield just before the first saddle you come to on the Ptarmigan Ridge hike from Artist Point. The problem is that the pass beautifully frames Mt. Baker as you approach it from the east. Since people literally come from all over the world to see and photograph the scenery up there, I did not particularly appreciate something so obtrusive (and obviously man-made) being added to it. And yes, if wanting to photograph Baker from this point, the rocks, so unnaturally arranged on the white background of snow, would have immensely degraded the photographic quality of the scene. So as I was chiding the kids (not belligerently, mind you), mamma bear (see Angry Hiker's rendition of the kind of mom I'm talking about) came out of hibernation to tell me I had no business talking to her kids about wilderness etiquette. She didn't appreciate me explaining to her that if she had been doing her job as a parent, I never would have wound up admonishing her kids. Unfortunately for her, she never did see it my way rolleyes.gif
The problem is that Mama didn't like you talking to her kids. I'd hedge if you had had kids with you, or was a woman, this might have gone over better. My infamous encounter with Backwoods Bastard Barry The Ranger is a good example: He was freaking hiding in the trees in a wooded pass, and my 10 year old was ahead of me. When my son hit the pass, Mr. Creepy-Ass came out of the shade and started talking to him - and grabbed onto his pack. YOU NEVER touch a child that isn't yours unless there is a real reason. And he wondered why I ripped him a new one? Yeah, I was Mama Grizzly Bear, starving for a fight when I saw a stranger with hands on my kid. Overall, I have met very few icky people over the years. I did "enjoy" a meadow with a poster here, who threatened me and 2 friends with her dogs. because we were camping in her site. Ummmm....it was a freaking meadow - a horse camp!! we came into camp at the end of dusk, and camped as far away as we could. In the morning she let her dogs out and was encouraging them to harm us. WTF. She was a nutter though. I was carrying that trip and yelled that if her dogs attacked us, I'd shoot them. That stopped it. shakehead.gif She was well known for being a grump, and using her dogs in negative fashion though. It was all our luck though to be on a remote trail and run into her lol.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 1:06 pm 
I've gotten crap (SHI*) from people for carrying a gun. Imagine that, you're stupid enough to brace someone in the middle of know where who's carrying a gun. People can be amazingly stupid!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 4:24 pm 
I don't mind people carrying guns, but I was kinda freaked out when a lady ranger (who I assume thought I was someone else?) came to speak with me and demand my permits and info while having her hand on a shiny 45 on her hip, with the holster unclipped. I'm tall, but I'm pretty sure I look exactly like the pansy that I am. Anyway, I don't really blame here (alone 17 miles from the nearest trailhead) but it kinda worried me at the time. Definitely did not make any sudden moves embarassedlaugh.gif

venom

venom
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 8:32 pm 
PorcupinePhobia wrote:
I don't mind people carrying guns, but I was kinda freaked out when a lady ranger (who I assume thought I was someone else?) came to speak with me and demand my permits and info while having her hand on a shiny 45 on her hip, with the holster unclipped. I'm tall, but I'm pretty sure I look exactly like the pansy that I am. Anyway, I don't really blame here (alone 17 miles from the nearest trailhead) but it kinda worried me at the time. Definitely did not make any sudden moves embarassedlaugh.gif
Where can I find this woman? I think I love her. lol.gif

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 9:22 pm 
My hiking companion and I had a little scare when we were a month and a half out on the Oregon PCT. We set up camp one rainy evening at a lake where one other person was camping. We had a pack donkey which we tied up under a big tree to provide shelter for him. The next morning, our donkey was nowhere to be found. After much searching, we did find him tied up in some bushes by the other person's tent. When we confronted him, he stated that we were being mean to our donkey by not tying him up where he could eat all night, even though we provided food for him. Then he started waving his axe and yelling at us, so we took our donkey and left. However, it was pouring down rain all day, so we stayed at our camp, instead of heading up the trail. So did he, and it was very spooky, because he spent the entire day outside in the rain sharpening his axe and glaring at us. A solo hiker arrived that evening, so we invited him to have dinner with us, and he stayed in our camp when we told him about the crazy axe guy. The next morning, we all left at the crack of dawn! The only other time we had a problem was way up the Bogachiel where we spent the night at a shelter because of course, it was pouring down rain. Late in the evening two twenty something guys arrived and stayed in the shelter also. They started drinking whiskey and became very rude and boisterous. We became very nervous, but fortunately, they got so drunk they just passed out. Again, we got up at the crack of dawn and got the heck out of there! After hiking many hundreds of miles, I feel fortunate that these two episodes were the only ones where we encountered any problems with other people. I do have one pet peeve, though. Not to go off-thread or anything, but just want to know WHY do so many day hikers have to wear so much perfume and men's cologne when out hiking? I just about passed out from the barrage of fake flower and "woodsy" scents last year up at Lake Serene!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 9:29 pm 
it isn't just day hikers... I was at least 3 miles up last summer when a guy carrying an enormous pack blew by me reeking of some sort of aftershave. go figure.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."