Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Should there be places on Earth without internet access?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Apr 27, 2014 11:40 pm 
my shiny hat
my shiny hat

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hiker1

hiker1
PostThu May 08, 2014 9:24 pm 
See similar thread NPS banning drones

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu May 08, 2014 10:04 pm 
If somebody doesn't want internet access somewhere then they should turn off their internet capable devices.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri May 09, 2014 12:54 pm 
Ski wrote:
my shiny hat
my shiny hat
water proof and breathable?

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri May 09, 2014 1:14 pm 
that looks a little bit ...home made. You want hip, stylish, urban debonair for Mr. Ski's headwear. I propose this

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 09, 2014 1:17 pm 
yeah, but the Metallic Super slim Tribeca fit Blazer is sure snazzy..... too bad it's 100% cotton! breakdance.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri May 09, 2014 1:22 pm 
hiker1 wrote:
Yes, MC. But Google is proposing to increase this, together with hi-res photography, to a level so high that it will be like downtown Seattle. The point is that normal internet access is currently unavailable in most federal wilderness. And that's one reason it still is wilderness.
Well, we don't really know what Google is going to do with results from this research-y program, as I understand it from talking with folks who very closely watch wireless connectivity trends and related industry moves. However, there is this from the article linked in the OP:
Quote:
Both Google and Facebook are also competing to deliver Internet access to people who live in places that are too difficult to reach with wires and other traditional means of accessing the Internet. While satellites can deliver Internet access to sparsely populated areas, the cost of using satellite data connections can be very high. Drones, in comparison, will be able to reach those customers at a much lower cost.
This is in line with the guesses I've heard about the program (along with the related balloon-mounted radio devices). They are going to be significantly more interested in connecting people across the globe who live in rural areas that lack infrastructure and/or helping provide internet access to areas hit hard by disasters, etc. I can actually theorize what their business strategy is behind these sorts of eventual applications; but I have to scratch my head too much to come up with any plausible case for their using these to help the few people who may be in the middle of the Bob Marshall Wilderness at any moment post photos of their trout catch to their FB account. People who understand the costs involved are even scratching their heads a bit to understand what sort of business strategy might lie behind investing toward even the sorts of applications described in these articles, let alone "invading the wilderness." So even if you're not of the "just turn your damn device off if you don't like it" bent, I would not worry over this. Perhaps some new rules should be considered over the next decade or so as the costs of such tech drops further and further, but it still seems like a pretty abstract concern to me. Per the other thread that is repeatedly being advert... err... referenced here, drones with cameras are a different issue, and one that is relevant to your backyard as it is to the wilderness.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri May 09, 2014 1:31 pm 
Ski wrote:
too bad it's 100% cotton! breakdance.gif
It could be appropriate for after-hike activities, at the campfire. To wit the product description: - Must-have piece for special evenings this season - 100% ultra light cotton with totally trendy colourful metallic coating - Semi-tailored fit - Matching pant and blazer also available Campfire time always makes for a special evening. Glad to be of help dizzy.gif