Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hiking with Manatees
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 5:56 pm 
Yeah yeah, I know, no hiking here but I think there are a few animal lovers in the house so here we go... Ever since I was a little kid I’ve had an innate appreciation and love of the outdoors, nature and wildlife. It was not until I moved to the West coast in my mid 20’s that I discovered hiking. But long before that I spent my summers barefoot and would essentially move out of the family house into the backyard to camp for the summer. As a nerdy teenager my favourite tv show was Nature with Richard Attenborough and I distinctly remember watching one show about manatees in 8th grade science class and I thought they were just about the coolest thing ever!
Beautiful creature!
Beautiful creature!
Flash ahead almost 30 years and a missed opportunity on a cheap flight out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida on the date I needed would result in a crazy K2 scheme to spend an extra day, drive 6 hours to Tampa, swim with manatees the next morning and race off to the airport to catch a cheaper flight out. When I arrived at Rainbow Springs State Park after a long day of driving (with occasional stops for birding along the way) it was minutes before dark.
Painted Bunting
Painted Bunting
After being in the air conditioned car all day I expected to jump out into humid, sweaty air…but wow! This air was a bit of a shock to my “have been living in Florida for a week” system. It was CHIIIIILLLLLY. I threw my Kmart tent up as fast as I could (my Big Agnes tent zipper failed days before while out on Dry Tortugas NP) and went to check in. The ranger warned “bundle up; it’s going down to 37 tonight”. What the heck?!? I almost froze to death before realizing my lifetime manatee dream. I had only brought a 5dC (41dF) bag with me and I pulled out my light down puffy and put my legs in the arm holes and zipped it up over my lower legs and shivered myself to sleep. I had an early start down to Crystal River for the 6:30 am tour and my fingers painfully thawed on the drive down after having to gather up the frozen tent. I was worried about the tour being cancelled due to how cold it was, but cold is good – that’s what keeps the manatees in the sheltered warm springs. Once it starts getting warm they migrate off to other areas. There are several places that offer tours in Crystal River but good ole Trip Advisor steered me to River Ventures who take the manatees and protecting them very seriously. There are very specific rules about behavior around the manatees and River Ventures also mentioned that fish and wildlife are often present to ticket violators. After a mandatory instructional and informative video they suit you up in a full length wetsuit included in your ticket price. Although I had my own shorty – the goosebumps persisting on my body from the previous night were more than happy to cram into a full length suit! They shuttle you down to the river and the boat ride was a bit of a joke, I could have swam there it was pretty close. There are other spots of course, but we visited Jurassic Springs. The water was a nice reprieve from the cold air, but I knew getting out was going to be a challenge. When I arrived at the first manatee there was a hoard of people surrounding it. I just sat back at a distance and watched, very intrigued.
Hugs
Hugs
I figured I’d have lots of time to have my own turn. I was surprised and excited when the manatee turned, left the crowd and swam towards me. The rule with manatees is you float, you don’t swim and you don’t thrash, you float. Still as can be. Manatees have fine hairs all over their body that are very sensitive to motion.
Adorable hairy manatee face
Adorable hairy manatee face
They also have very poor eyesight so they have to come in very close to see you. And boy do they come in close! I was giggling when it came and gave me a kiss and proceeded to check me out.
Pucker up
Pucker up
They are very curious and playful creatures. I had no idea they would be so affectionate.
Curious
Curious
Kisses
Kisses
They grab a hold of your limbs and bear hug you. It is very difficult to maneuver when a manatee has a hold of one of your limbs and you cannot move or splash around! There were a few times I got stuck ON TOP of a manatee and could not get away.
Yeah that's my leg in the manatees strong grasp
Yeah that's my leg in the manatees strong grasp
The only downside was there were a lot of people, even on the earliest tour that went out. While you try to be respectful of others, when the manatee chooses to interact with you, it is hard to get away from their grasp and not kick or bump into other people. I took the following picture and my first reaction was “This is like a circus, the poor manatees”.
Circus at Jurassic Springs
Circus at Jurassic Springs
But I came to realize that the manatees were really enjoying this and if they didn’t they would swim away. There were many other manatees sleeping on the bottom and the rule is you don’t approach or touch them.
Sleeping
Sleeping
They actually float up to the surface to breathe, but while still sleeping.
Up for air
Up for air
Again the rule is, do not try and interact with them if they exhibit this behavior. After all no one likes being awoken from a good snooze, manatees included!
Zzzzzzzz
Zzzzzzzz
I’m a bit of a fish when it comes to water sports so as always I was one of the last ones back on the boat. There was hot chocolate waiting and I guzzled two cups as my whole body was violently shivering, but I would do it all over again! Everything about this experience was amazing and I would highly recommend it if you ever have the opportunity. My first reaction to missing out on the cheap flight I wanted by a day was a complete bummer, but my motto from here on out will always be “When life gives you lemons, go swim with the manatees!”
Algae collector
Algae collector
Manatee at ramming speed
Manatee at ramming speed
Thumbs up!
Thumbs up!

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 6:05 pm 
Beautiful and graceful creatures. I can't think of a more gentle animal.

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 7:11 pm 
Total Epic Karen! biggrin.gif up.gif

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 8:14 pm 
Fantastic! When I saw your first photo I was appalled to see the diver hugging the manatee. As I read on I realized it was the other way around and felt much better! smile.gif It must have been a real thrill to be the recipient. wub.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 8:50 pm 
I love those gentle giants. My In-Laws live on the Gulf, Near St. Petersburg, and when we visit we always try to go see them at various locations. They are simply up.gif up.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 11:17 pm 
So cool!!!

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 11:22 pm 
Pretty cool. up.gif

mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 7:20 am 
Mauled by a manatee... in a good way. Decades ago I lived in florida and would see them ocassionally, but never got to spend time close up with them.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 11:27 am 
This thread is just begging for this:
Any word about a TR for the first portion of this trip? prod.gif

Knows literally nothing
Kasey³
A Perfect 10

Kasey³
A Perfect 10
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 12:31 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Any word about a TR for the first portion of this trip? prod.gif
Science Fair is due next week and I need all the help I can get. Don't give her any excuses!

Product of David & Karen™
Rainie Too!

Rainie Too!
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 2:23 pm 
Wow, thanks for the swim down memory lane! I remember scuba diving in Crystal Springs with the Manatees 30 years ago. Even back then they regulated the number of people, and how close they were allowed to approach the animals..... I will never forget the experience!

ree

ree
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 6:42 pm 
Yeah, the crowds, but who cares? So worth it to get a snuggle from one of those gentle giants. How lucky you were! Beautiful pictures, Karen. up.gif winksmile.gif