Forum Index > Trail Talk > What is the Best Way into the Baileys Range?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Big Time 420

Big Time 420
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 9:16 am 
I became interested in the Baileys Range during a recent trip over Anderson Glacier. I an just wondering if there is a standard route people are using to get there.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 9:21 am 
Search this site using "Bailey Range." Most parties use the same standard approach. They are sometimes called "The Baileys" but this is not an official name.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 9:22 am 
Get Olympic Mountains: A Climbing Guide. Check the section at the end called High Alpine Traverses. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 9:32 am 
N to S via Sol Duc. Exit Quinault.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 9:34 am 
http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=723917

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
Big Time 420

Big Time 420
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 9:35 am 
Wow. Thanks everybody!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 2:35 pm 
Helicopter!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 4:21 pm 
i'm with BJ tongue.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 6:56 pm 
Several ways in and out depending on how long you want to trek. The Solduck seems the most common way in but on my two trips into the Bailey`s we went via Appleton pass (once directly into AP and another cc via the Boulder Lake trail). The path from AP that leads to Cat Basin is really nice and a nice entry way to the Bailey`s. The Dodger point trail and subsequent CC route after gets you to Ferry Basin quicker and can be a route out as well. Most people exit the N fork Quinault; you can also take the Skyline trail if you haven`t got enough of the alpine zone.

Big Time 420

Big Time 420
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 8:11 pm 
Thanks Rumi Dude. I looked in my OMR book and decided to simply do the loop. For most people, I wouldn't recommend this unless they are very good at route finding and map reading.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 11:18 am 
My preference has always been via Appleton Pass / Oyster Lake to Cat Basin, where I've made sure to include a night camping at "Swimming Bear" lake. Lovely spot! I've always approached Appleton via Elwah / Olympic Hot Springs, but you could come up from the Sol Duc side.

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 11:48 am 
The most awesome approach to the Bailey Range is probably the one done by Steph Abegg in 2007, coming in via South Fork Hoh, up to the Valhallas, over Olympus, then from Camp Pan to Bear Pass glacier via the ridge, and then out the Bailey Range to High Divide, as reported here. The Hoh trail-Blue Glacier-Hoh Glacier-Camp Pan-Humes Glacier-Queets Basin approach to the Bailey Range is spectacular. But then, so are the rest of the approaches to the Bailey Range.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 12:02 pm 
Ancient Ambler wrote:
The Hoh trail-Blue Glacier-Hoh Glacier-Camp Pan-Humes Glacier-Queets Basin approach to the Bailey Range is spectacular.
ditto.gif But I wouldn't call it a "standard approach." wink.gif

Wolfman

Wolfman
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 1:37 pm 
Hi All! I am working on a thru hike this summer on the PNT (Pacific Northwest Trail) and because the Elwha area is still closed and seems like it will be closed until September 2014, I have been looking at the Bailey Range Traverse to get from the east side to the west side of the Olympics. Does anyone know of trip reports or GPS tracks that go from Dodger point over to the High Divide area (Cat Lake I think) I have read some of Barefoot Joe's stuff and some others, but as of yet have not found any reports that will follow the same path I am planning. Any help or directions would be greatly appreciated. I am also looking for detailed maps of the area. Wolfman

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 11:03 am 
You can certainly follow the old CCC trail from Dodger Point onto the east flank of Ludden, and then drop off from that onto the “half mile from hell” way trail (which isn’t that bad) to the Scott / Ludden saddle. From there you follow a fairly evident way-path to the shoulder of Mt. Ferry. Once on Ferry, you’re in the “Bailey’s proper”, and can pick your S-N route of choice (low to Cream Lake or high to “Stephan Lake”), cross the Catwalk, and onto the High Divide. I’ve “exited” the Bailey’s once using that route, and it was fine. The tricky part might be finding where to drop off the CCC trail to find the path to the Scott / Ludden saddle. Doing this in reverse that was not an issue. I’m pretty sure it’s very near the end of the CCC trail. I’m a bit old fashion and don’t have any GPS coordinates, but I’m sure someone here does.