Forum Index > Trail Talk > stealing views at Beaver Pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 9:58 am 
How far of a cross country ramble does it take to get some good alpine views at Beaver Pass on Big Beaver trail? I see on a map there is sort of a broad westerly ridge located northeast of the camp, rising above some cliffs above Little Beaver Creek.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 5:48 pm 
As I remember, it was a bit of a jaunt west off one of the last switchbacks on the north side of the pass.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 5:59 pm 
That is the start of the Whiley Lakes High Route, great views from the top of the ridge but it is a lot harder than it looks on a map.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 6:37 pm 
OK, thanks. I was imagining the wrong place. I only have a 1:100,000 map in front of me right now. I was looking east of the trail at the ridge that leads south towards Mt. Prophet. It doesn't look very steep to gain the ridge there, but it also seems to cliff out past 5,000 feet or so. Maybe I'll end up checking it out anyway.

monorail

monorail
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 7:21 pm 
Quote:
I was looking east of the trail at the ridge that leads south towards Mt. Prophet.
There is a guidebook, "Trekking Washington" by Mike Woodmansee, that mentions that possibility. He suggests heading east just past the shelter, and going up as far as you can until it gets too steep. I was planning to check that out when I was there, but it was raining heavily, so I didn't bother (no point in bashing through wet brush for a better view of the raindrops). But if I was there with any kind of visibility, I would not want to miss it--- views of Luna Cirque should be awesome.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 7:26 am 
There are some pretty good views of Eiley/Wiley ridge and Luna cirque from the trail en route to Beaver Pass. The off trail route toward Eiley Wiley is view less until it breaks out high and then has super nice views. I`ve spied Prophet ridge from there, and the CC route out of Beaver Pass looks doable and probably less brushy than the other direction.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 8:37 am 
You really ought to look at 7.5' minute maps. I've explored the slope towards the Prophets. It gets steep soon. I do not recall any views. The route from BP to E-W ridge is a grunt, no views until you top out, IMO worth doing only if you plan on doing a traverse, i.e., Challenger Glacier/Perfect Pass or Luna Cirque. AFAIK, the least brushy route to the Prophets is the ridge W of Thirtynine Mile Creek that tops out on the NW trending ridge that connects to Mt. Prophet. It's a nice route, fantastic views when you top out on the ridge, possibly no water late season. (We found a trickle below a firm patch.)

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 8:47 am 
I'll second what Big Steve said. If you want views, the ridge he described going up toward Mt. Prophet is best, although any ridge in that area is steep in places. From Beaver Pass itself, you're in heavy forest with steep bushwacking for thousands of feet uphill to get to any views. BTW, the view you'd get from the west flanks of Mt. Prophet wouldn't be Luna Cirque, because that's on the opposite side of Luna Peak, but rather McMillan Cirque, which is also a great view.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
iron

iron
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 9:15 am 
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 9:28 am 
i've headed east from beaver pass to approx. 4700' and got this nice view of the pickets
fury
fury

Eric Eames
mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 11:05 am 
Thanks big steve and everyone else. And thanks for the map link. I'm in the midwest now, and don't have my USGS quads or green trails with me. This is one on my list mid-late june. I figured if I'm hiking all the way up here I should pick a good spot to bushwack for some Pickets views. I wouldn't mind climbing something if I'm already that deep, but I'll do the next best thing since I'll likely be solo.