Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Do you text while hiking?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Do you text while hiking?
Yes, all the time, except for maybe when fording a river during spring melt
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Probably 50% of the time, usually on the descent--less dangerous
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Probably 50% of the time, but usually on the ascent because less dangerous
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
No, it is highly dangerous. I see people doing this and it makes my blood boil.
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
People, I would only do this in an extreme emergency and even then I would pull over to the trailside first.
25%
 25%  [ 15 ]
Ha ha! I resonded to this thread while texting up Tiger Mountain! Ha ha!
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Da...what is texting?
22%
 22%  [ 13 ]
You did not list my option!
33%
 33%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 59

touron

touron
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 8:49 am 
Do you text while hiking??

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 11:25 am 
I might give it some thought... if I ever learn how to use a cellular phone.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
herdingcats
inherited Wanderlüst

herdingcats
inherited Wanderlüst
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 1:39 pm 
Typically I turn the phone off while hiking. There's usually no signal, so what's the point? If we're only talking about an in-town (usually pre-season) training hike like Tiger / Cougar / Taylor / Squak, then I'll leave the phone on just to be available for home and work emergencies. But I pull over trailside if I need to deal with it, and I only respond to the important stuff. Anything else can wait. Last thought, why have your head down in your phone if you've gone out to the wilderness? There's a safety issue there, but most prominent in my mind is that I'm getting out in order to "get away". In my opinion, the best vacation is one where there is no cell signal.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 1:52 pm 
I will take and upload pictures/videos on parts of some of my trips so that my daughter can "watch" my hike, if it's one I'm not taking her on. So, it might look like I'm texting, even if that's not what I'm doing with my phone. Other than that, I don't.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 2:37 pm 
I'm a little old-school. I write novels while hiking, using a portable typewriter.

touron

touron
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 7:31 pm 
Is it a Smith & Corona typewriter, or one of those loud bangy Smith and Wessons? I had someone camped next to me that I think must have been typing War and Peace on one of those Smith and Wessons and I did not sleep the whole night, though some of it might have been due to all the rain leaking through the holes in my tent, not sure how they got there as I bought the tent new but did not inspect it closely. I do not bring a portable typewriter, but I do carry portable water (though only after I add iodine)

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 8:42 pm 
A buddy of mine gets half way through a pitch "gotta text my girl friend". rolleyes.gif This is one of the reasons I kinda don't like texting.
Riverside Laker wrote:
I'm a little old-school. I write novels while hiking, using a portable typewriter.
I'm even more old school and write with a pencil. I admit that I don't use a quill pen with ink. Extra brownie points if you make glyphs of your trips using rock while hiking.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Apr 27, 2014 12:07 pm 
Flow wrote:
Extra brownie points if you make glyphs of your trips using rock while hiking.
It's so unfair, people just think of that as graffiti if you do it now. The difference between vandalism and historical artifacts is nothing more than a few hundred years passing by.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Apr 27, 2014 1:01 pm 
You gotta pick the right location, use a good theme, and make sure it preserves. In 300 years it could be legendary. cool.gif

hiker1

hiker1
PostSun Apr 27, 2014 9:42 pm 
herdingcats wrote:
In my opinion, the best vacation is one where there is no cell signal.
Agreed. See my post here on this: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8010163

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 10:24 am 
Usually I don't have a signal. But if I do, I might just to check in and say everything is ok or perhaps the wife texted me about something. But when I do get a signal it is often a surprise.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 12:00 pm 
touron wrote:
one of those loud bangy Smith and Wessons?
Touron, anyone who knows me knows I only use a Remington typewriter. By the way, as a potable typewriter, you can drink it. I've considered Underwood, but can't get over the name.

Boywonder

Boywonder
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 12:18 pm 
Short answer is no. Up on Rainier where I go 99% of the time - cell service is pretty limited anyhow. I use Verizon so if by some chance I needed to use my cell phone in a emergency situation it has a better chance of going through. It seems most folks that own a smartphone have their nose stuck in them most of the time. I do not own one for that reason. When I go anywhere out to eat or even to my kids swimming lessons 99% of all the parents have their face stuck on their phone. Smartphones seem to have made folks antisocial. I am starting to rant I had better stop.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 1:29 pm 
The other day MM & I went out to brunch, & there was a couple sitting @ a table together, both of them completely engrossed in their smartphones. Not sure if they ever said one word to each other, just to the waitress when it was time to order. lol.gif Pathetic. shakehead.gif I have yet to get a smartphone, & I'm in no hurry. I'm not totally opposed to one (@ certain times, for certain things, it could be handy), but I figure that the current flip phone works just fine & is already enough of an electronic leash. It's kinda nice not being tethered to the internet 24/7. up.gif Totally agree about the societal shift toward being more anti-social...mostly due to Farcebook & smartphones. It'll be interesting to see what sort of consequences will result from all these devices that were originally meant to "bring people closer together & be more connected". hmmm.gif That being said, I have been guilty of texting while hiking, but normally when I am solo hiking & MM might get worried, or some other hike where he's not along & is wondering what's going on & my ETA. But most of the time we're together, there is no cell service, & no one cares where I am or what I'm doing anyway. wink.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 1:57 pm 
SO the choices are 50%, 100% or basically nothing (emergency only)?!? huh.gif Rarely but if I am sitting around at lunch or get an incredible shot or something I might shoot a picture message somewhere.