Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Silver drops the hammer on Sterling.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Apr 29, 2014 12:21 pm 
Wow. Now just got to get the owners to force him to sell. David Stern would have never had the balls to do ban him for life from the NBA. http://www.komonews.com/sports/Clippers-owner-Donald-Sterling-gets-lifetime-ban-from-NBA-257198381.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
trestle

trestle
PostTue Apr 29, 2014 12:44 pm 
David Stern would be an honored guest at Sterling's house party.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostTue Apr 29, 2014 2:24 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic
sten

sten
PostTue Apr 29, 2014 7:30 pm 
Bang bang maxwell's silver hammer goes down upon his head du doo doo doo... Well that's what ran through my head anyway...

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Apr 29, 2014 11:28 pm 
Touchy subject, one that I would never have posted here...I feel that most speaking against Sterling are caught up in emotion and mob mentality, not thinking it through intelligently. What she recorded should never had been made public, he is entitled to speak his mind in a one on one private setting. The real "criminal" imho is his GF who allegedly embezzled from his company and recorded him illegally, she needs to fry. I am not a fan of Sterling and certainly not of racism, but the punishment being doled out does not fit the "crime"...not saying he did anything wrong other than speak his mind in a one on one supposedly private conversation.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 7:46 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I am not a fan of Sterling and certainly not of racism, but the punishment being doled out does not fit the "crime"...not saying he did anything wrong other than speak his mind in a one on one supposedly private conversation.
But this guy has a history of not being a good guy anyway (to put it nicely). I heard some interviews of players that played for the Clippers years ago. While it wasn't open racism it wasn't what you would want in an owner/boss. They finally got something (albeit perhaps the methods wouldn't hold up in a criminal court of law) it's enough for the NBA. He had what was coming to him. The punishment does fit the crime as just about everyone seems to agree (including the other owners).

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 9:27 am 
The "girlfriend" is single again if anyone is interested smile.gif He's a crappy human, I think he got what he deserved, maybe he deserves even more? I'm curious if everyone in the NBA will be held to this same standard now though? offensive tweets? As an employee of a company you can be fired/punished for breaking the code of conduct in your personal life so i don't have a problem with this. The "girlfriend" should be on trial too. I don't think she can claim whistle blower status. Don't you have to be an employee for that? Maybe she was an employee? smile.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 10:02 am 
Good to see the NBA freezing out the jerk, but this was coming for years. Where were David Stern and the other NBA owners when Sterling got nailed on the DOJ's largest systemic racial housing discrimination case? Or when Elgin Baylor sued him for plantation mentality racism? Next: Washington Redskins? The Onion: Clippers Retire Donald Sterling Jersey

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 10:54 am 
I think you guys are wrong, (I know, might be the first time ever) What He is or is not means nothing, how old He is means nothing, none of that is the issue. That He was illegally taped during a private conversation and later that tape was Illegally released to the public is a criminal act. His constitutional right to free speech was violated. I suspect that He will sue and yes, He should win. the NBA's action is a "knee jerk" reaction to all the HOO_HA going on over this. Their decision is based on the illegal release of a private, personal recording and that is the "issue" Was the release of the recording illegal ? That's an issue for a court. Can the NBA sanction based on a personal privately stated opinion/feeling ? Can the NBA use that recording as it has ? I don't think so, but a court would have to decide The Constitution/Bill of Rights addresses many issues, among those are some issues of privacy, freedom of speech, illegal search etc. I don't believe those "rights" end because the US Government is not involved in the issue.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 10:58 am 
I don't think he got this punishment for this incident alone, but for his history. For me, the punishment seems fair, given his history, but I would have been against any punishment on this incident alone, given how it came to light.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 11:11 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
That He was illegally taped during a private conversation and later that tape was Illegally released to the public is a criminal act. His constitutional right to free speech was violated.
This is untrue. The right to free speech guaranteed by the constitution does not, in any way, guarantee that a private party will not release private speech to the public. It guarantees ONLY that the *government* cannot prevent/censor a person's speech. Was what she did a bit low and conniving? Yeah. Maybe. Not the first time that someone has done this sort of thing "for the greater good" however, and it won't be the last. (Heck, they make whistleblower laws for similar actions!) The NBA is a private organization, and NOTHING they are doing is a legal statement. There were no criminal charges, no civil charges, etc. This is essentially a "conduct policy" violation, and the consequence that goes with it.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 11:18 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Can the NBA sanction based on a personal privately stated opinion/feeling ? Can the NBA use that recording as it has ? I don't think so, but a court would have to decideThe Constitution/Bill of Rights addresses many issues, among those are some issues of privacy, freedom of speech, illegal search etc. I don't believe those "rights" end because the US Government is not involved in the issue.
Good issues, I don't know the details of the contracts that govern the conduct of NBA owners and players, but I think it is likely that there are provisions in those contracts that are much more intrusive into the owners and players lives than the government's ability to intrude on your private life. For example aren't NBA players subject to periodic and random drug testing? I believe NBA owners are subject to a broad "conduct clause" the allows for sanctions in the event that an owner does anything that damages the NBA's brand. It is possible that the ownership contract includes provisions granting the league permission to investigate an owner's conduct by methods that law enforcement could not without a warrant.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 11:25 am 
SO MANY "work places" have conduct clauses, and they specifically cover things you say OUTSIDE of the workplace that can reflect upon the business. It's annoying, I think, and I understand people not liking them, but if you sign it, you are a agreeing to it, and if you violate that clause, well... it's your own damn fault for not doing what you said you'd do.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 11:28 am 
nuclear_eggset wrote:
Was what she did a bit low and conniving? Yeah. Maybe. Not the first time that someone has done this sort of thing "for the greater good" however, and it won't be the last. (Heck, they make whistleblower laws for similar actions!)
The fact the you even question that what she did was "a bit low and conniving" tells me all I need to know. No way she did this for the "greater good"...she did this for her own "greater good" and to get back at him since his wife is suing her for embezzlement. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sterlings-wife-describes-girlfriend-as-gold-digger-in-lawsuit-20140426,0,4883913.story#axzz30OagHkqA

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 11:35 am 
As to the legality of his girlfriend taping the conversation, and her (or whoever did it) releasing it: - Pretty questionable (at best) under California law. - But so what? There's no "exclusionary rule" (or equivalent). So far as whatever the NBA does in terms of sanctions and forced sale of the team: that's primarily a matter of contract law. Since we don't even know what the terms of the contracts among the owners and the NBA are, everything is pretty much speculation. So, speculate away...and keep it civil please, lol. wink.gif