Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Relocating to the Puyallup area - hoping for some help!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gray matter

gray matter
PostTue May 06, 2014 7:32 pm 
I work on the South Hill, on 160th and Meridian. Very busy. If you are commuting out of Puyallup, be prepared for traffic. I second the Sumner option. I lived there for a year prior to buying in Tacoma. It's a great little town. Also, as stated above, don't look in Spanaway or Parkland. Or South Tacoma. -Matt

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed May 07, 2014 6:45 am 
I have been amazed on my northward journeys at the polite behavior of drivers on Meridian. The traffic is heavy, but drivers seem to realize how the other folks trying to turn onto it are doomed and they stop or make space for the other car to get on the main drag. At least that's what has happened when I've been there.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed May 07, 2014 7:57 am 
From Sumner/Bonney Lake great access to two lesser used accesses into Mt. Rainier (Carbon and Mowich), and Sunrise ain't too far either. The drawback is 2 out of those three are NOT year round access.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed May 07, 2014 9:02 am 
common phrase for me and my friends who live in the area: South Hill Sucks. (for traffic)

Art is an adventure.
Geography Nerd
Beer Tester

Geography Nerd
Beer Tester
PostThu May 08, 2014 9:18 am 
Man - as a resident of "south Tacoma" I feel like folks are painting with a pretty broad brush... What I've found when buying/renting is you really have to go visit the neighborhood/street to really get an idea of livability. The best neighborhood can be ruined by just one neighbor. In general around Puyallup your primary concern will be annoying neighbors rather than the risk of violence to you or your property. Also be aware that crime maps can be deceiving since they often show the address where the report was taken and not always where it occurred, check out the 284 incidents reported at Good Samaritan Hospital... It hasn't come up but I'd want to make sure I wasn't living in the lahar hazard zone. I know many folks will say that's crazy but statistically the mtn is over due and it just doesn't seem worth it... If you want to live close and prefer a "planned community" there are lots of options south of downtown on Meridian/Canyon. Traffic is difficult getting in/out of those areas. If you want something close but slightly more rural I'd look east of Waller Rd. and NW of HWY 512. There's still some properties with large lots in that area. Looking a little farther away Bonney Lake/Sumner are both nice as well but be aware of "pockets" of less than great areas, especially by some of the apartment complexes.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 08, 2014 10:19 am 
don't take it as some kind of personal affront there. I spent the first twenty years of my life two blocks from Wapato Lake, and the next ten or so schlepping around the south end. you do have a point. the south end isn't as bad as the east side, or Tillicum, and certainly not as riff-raffy as Lakewood (which I view as a six-year resident of Tillicum as even worse.) I guess the closer you are to the McChord main gate, the lower the lowlife factor.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri May 09, 2014 3:13 am 
Geography Nerd wrote:
I'd want to make sure I wasn't living in the lahar hazard zone. I know many folks will say that's crazy but statistically the mtn is over due and it just doesn't seem worth it...
Seasonally I'm next door to Sumner in Pacific and the fantastic view of The Mountain and the White River make it worth it despite the dangers. You will become accustomed to air raid type sirens that test the system and a dedicated AM radio station for the possible disaster and evacuation route signage. The valley is flat so know where the high ground is. It's the price you pay so enjoy the view.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.