Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Going once! Twice! Suncadia auctioning off condos
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
touron

touron
PostTue Apr 29, 2014 8:58 pm 
Quote:
Auction House Kennedy Wilson is scheduled to sell 39 furnished one-bedroom, two-bedroom and penthouse condominiums at a live auction on May 25. Starting bids are set at $75,000 to $160,000 for units previously priced from $495,900 to $999,900. Seattle PI article
If everyone chipped in a few dimes, nwhikers could have a vacation lodge.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Apr 29, 2014 9:22 pm 
I can't tell from the Yelp reviews if Suncadia is an overpriced POS or if it's just whiny rich people staying there. Perhaps a bit of both?

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 5:33 am 
probably both I am not sure what the allure is. I stayed once,it was a nice hotel as far as I could see. I imagine for people who enjoy golf and like to lounge near the pool it is fine, but there is not much else around abouts. Cle is someplace I drive through to get to hiking I enjoy. I ran on the property when it was wild. Amazing wildflowers and butterflies. I guess I remember its wild beauty rather than all the paved and ordered nature. Has the horsepark ever got off the ground?

Toni

Toni
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 6:46 am 
Magellan wrote:
I can't tell from the Yelp reviews if Suncadia is an overpriced POS or if it's just whiny rich people staying there. Perhaps a bit of both?
up.gif

There is no Planet B
ree

ree
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 7:51 am 
After a grueling day hiking up Salmon Nut Sac, be home, in the hot tub, in 15 min. up.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 8:49 am 
Suncadia was the victim of terrible timing and it never took off. The development was originally called MountainStar and inspired by the central OR resort communities (e.g., Black Butte). Some people were hoping -- and betting on -- Cle Elum becoming the next Bend OR. Well, as some you know, Bend OR became a poster boy of busted boom resort towns, and the Suncadia lots come on line just before the peak of the Bend OR boom. Suncadia also had a few other things going against it, e.g., short golf season (frost delays), Snoq Pass ski conditions, but most people in the know think it would have taken off had it been developed 10 years earlier.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 11:28 am 
I know Bend. And Cle Elum is no Bend.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 2:47 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I know Bend. And Cle Elum is no Bend.
Mt Batchelor is much more attractive as a "family ski vacation" destination than the ski areas at Snoqualmie Pass -- but because there is no "on mountain / ski-in/ski-out" Mt Batchelor pales compaired to BC resorts like Big White, Red Mountain, Silver Star, Sun Peaks, etc. So I think both areas are suffering the pain of over opptimistic real estate specualtion. Bend still seems like a somewhat attractive retirement community -- but there might be too many California escapees for my taste.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 3:35 pm 
There just isn't much to Cle Elum. Bend just seems more like somewhere you'd find a resort community. Sunriver is pretty cool, my family used to stay there semi-regularly when I was growing up. I'm not a skiier but I would think Bachelor is more appealing than Snoq. Pass. Cle Elum does have some great hiking nearby, what w/ the Teanaway, Cooper Lake area and Salmon la Sac and beyond. Bend has plenty of good hiking as well. Cle Elum is passing thru territory for me, no reason to hang around for long. If I want to hang out in a small community a little east of the Cascade Crest, I'd take Leavenworth any day over Cle Elum.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 3:58 pm 
The way I see it, if I'm going to live "in the country" I'm going all the way. Montana, Idaho etc. Just over Snoq pass is basically in the crack head suburbs, not much different than the MLH, North Bend etc. If I can get there in less than 3 hours then it is not "in the country" as a whole bunch of other people can also get there in under 3 hours. At least Bend is a little ways out there, not right on the main east-west interstate. Convenience is not one of the things I look for in a country escape, if its convenient for me its also convenient for everybody else. I love to see the copy-cats go down in flames.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
touron

touron
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 6:13 pm 
$75k does not seem like a terrible price. One could forgo the down payment on their Escalade and buy a condo instead. hmmm.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 8:04 pm 
IDK what the thinking of the Suncadia developers was, perhaps the thinking was to attract wealthy tech workers as a weekend place. But Suncadia is almost as far from Alpental as Redmond and most coders only play golf as a joke. The are a new set of $500,000+ houses/townhouses going in at the base of Summit West, those might do better with geeks that have managed to breed.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu May 01, 2014 7:03 am 
The Bend I first saw in 1994 or 95 was perhaps a lot more like the Cle Elum of today than the Bend of today. I never really understood the Mountain Star/Suncadia thing myself, especially the early prices. It felt crazed/bubblish, like Bitcoin was late last year, and housing around Seattle in 2006. An early climbing buddy of mine moved down to Bend in 1997 or so and took to calling it "Poverty with a View". It was then, and I think largely still is a place where jobs, outside the service industry for wealthy retirees and vacationers, are scarce. Still, as a place to live for an outdoorsy person, it's hard to beat: World class rock climbing, volcanoes, mountain biking, paddling, fishing, all three varieties of skiing, etc. And if you're into such things, real seasons.

If not now, when?
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu May 01, 2014 1:39 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
An early climbing buddy of mine moved down to Bend in 1997 or so and took to calling it "Poverty with a View".
That reminds me of my visit to Port Orford, Oregon a couple of years ago. It is very scenic along the coast. There are places on the edge of town where you can see infinitely down south toward California from the high cliffs or distantly north along the Oregon coast. But due to it's remoteness you were hours and hours away from bigger cities and major interstates. The town looked to be struggling in places. A local hotel manager said some locals called it "Hell with a view." ~z

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu May 01, 2014 2:38 pm 
HA... my parents grew up in Coos Bay, and my dad always said of the place: "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there." Living and working in the Ros/CE community for years I'm partial to the area. Suncadia... even if I could afford it, meh. We're far too dirtbag for that scene.

~Mom jeans on wheels