Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Windows 7: Changing the default font?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat May 03, 2014 3:36 pm 
I am trying to adjust to Win 7 on my new computer. Slowly I am getting things back in place from my old machine. Still a ways to go. I really don't like the default font that is on Win 7. Is it possible to go back to the default font that came with XP? Unfortunately I don't have a clue as to what that font was. But this current one is (for me) not as pleasant or easy to read. I have increased the size of it up to 125% which has helped. But I would like to try an alternate. I am currently in the Firefox browser. I hope to be able to access IE as well when the coast is clear. I have done a little online searching and see articles about importing new fonts, etc. I may not be asking the right question. I certainly don't want to do anything that would turn out worse than what I am dealing with or do something that would create more problems. How do I determine which font is currently displayed? If anyone has an online link to share it would be much appreciated. And if you think I could go back to the original XP font, that would great to get info on that as well. And if there is a good reason NOT to do this, I would love to hear it. Thanks, ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostSat May 03, 2014 5:58 pm 
seems like any font you see within your browser will be based on the website you're viewing, not WIN7. otherwise: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-windows-fonts#1TC=windows-7

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat May 03, 2014 6:34 pm 
Thanks, iron, I watched the video and it seems pretty clear. I guess it will involve some experimentation.
iron wrote:
seems like any font you see within your browser will be based on the website you're viewing, not WIN7.
As for this point, this particular website (NWHikers) is using the default font in Win 7. It is definitely not what I am accustomed to seeing. At least the comments. The headings look more familiar---perhaps because they are bolded. I can only describe so much. I have some familiarity with typography, but I am starting to get on thin ice. wink.gif So I guess each website chooses to use the OS default or makes another choice. I haven't viewed this on any other OS with this computer. When I view NWHikers on my Mac via Safari it does look similar to the current default on my new PC via Firefox. But above all, it is not the same as it was with my old PC via XP. It definitely has a lighter "weight". Here is a page from yahoo that describes the fonts used in XP. Apparently you right click on an XP desktop and it will tell you what the font is under Properties. Yahoo article quote: You can check by right clicking the Desktop and choosing Properties. On the Appearance tab, click Advanced and look through the drop-down Item list for 'Icon'. Select it and it should show the font used. If the Font box is blank, it will be MS Sans Serif. Tahoma is more readable. If anyone reading this (soon) who is still running XP can verify this, I would appreciate it. Thanks, ~z

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat May 03, 2014 7:36 pm 
iron wrote:
otherwise: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-windows-fonts#1TC=windows-7
Well, I just tried this out a little by watching the video and looking through the selection of items to change. It appears that they won't let you change the overall font, just portions. For example, the Message Text is not not listed in the drop down only the Message Box, and only the Window font, not the Window text. rolleyes.gif It may be possible, but it's beyond my reach. I don't want a crazy mishmash of font styles. I only wanted to make the entire desktop more readable--overall. Moving on... ~z

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostSat May 03, 2014 8:07 pm 
Did you only use ie before, are you upgrading your os and browser at the same time? If you visit this site in ie on your new machine does it look like you're used to?

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat May 03, 2014 9:21 pm 
cairn builder wrote:
Did you only use ie before, are you upgrading your os and browser at the same time? If you visit this site in ie on your new machine does it look like you're used to?
Hi, cairn builder, I used to use both IE8 on Win XP and the current version of Firefox on my old computer. I recently upgraded to a new computer with Win 7 and IE 11. I also have the latest version of Firefox. (I like using either browser for various sites.) At any rate, I have viewed NWHikers on both Firefox and IE 11--on this new machine, as well as other sites. This new font is universal. It's not the end of the world. I will adjust over time. I just enjoyed the readability more with XP's font choices. Even some of the coloration and shading are different in Win 7. In XP, when I would quote someone(on this site), their quote or the background would be in a slightly different color and stand out more. These are subtle differences that maybe a lot of folks don't notice or could care less. Thanks, ~z