Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mica Creek (Tumwater Canyon) 5/3/14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat May 03, 2014 4:48 pm 
Gated Forest Service Road #7903, just downstream from Swiftwater Picnic Area in Tumwater Canyon, heads up Mica Creek allowing access to a web of fire roads and logging spurs. This area receives very little use smile.gif except for hunters in the fall and a TR from Pikawhisperer a couple years ago. The noise of Hwy. 2 and the raging Wenatchee River is soon replaced with birdsongs and trickling Mica Creek. Tweedy's Lewisia is now coming out among rocks in Tumwater Canyon. I spotted a nice patch on the steep hillside on the other side of the creek.
Tweedy's Lewisia
Tweedy's Lewisia
Tweedy's Lewisia
Tweedy's Lewisia
Lots of other blooms, as well.
Evidence of other life, too! paranoid.gif
I stayed on the "main" road for a couple miles and a 1000' gain until the brushy head of the creek valley in front of me. I took the dogleg right (south) and continued to climb on the old road/trail and attained the ridge for views of the Chumstick Snag, Entiat Ridge, Icicle Ridge and lingering snow on the north side of Tumwater Mountain.
Chumstick Snag
Chumstick Snag
Icicle Ridge
Icicle Ridge
North side of Tumwater Mt.
North side of Tumwater Mt.
My GPS showed just over 8 miles RT. Lot of exploring to be done....perhaps a future car-to-car between the Chumstick side. I'm not sure on the parking situation up Spromberg Canyon. suuure.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
carlb328

carlb328
PostSat May 03, 2014 6:50 pm 
That sounds like a good places for mountain biking. Could a road bike with somewhat wide tires handle it?

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat May 03, 2014 7:22 pm 
Little reported on area, great TR. Can't quite place the take off point. Can you see Drury Falls from up there?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun May 04, 2014 7:01 am 
up.gif Flowers wub.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun May 04, 2014 11:56 am 
carlb238, it would be possible to mountain bike in there. Only a few trees across the trail and it does flatten out on top of the ridge. However, there are so many other trails nearby, in my opinion, that are far better. (Freund/Ski Hill system, Mountain Home, Derby Canyon, to name a few.) smile.gif Hit the Trail, couldn't see Drury Falls since this area is a bit farther north. Tumwater Mt. offers the best view across to the falls. There is actually a big chasm between this ridge line and Tumwater, so the old road systems never connected. I can not find a single map that shows the name Mica Creek. I'm just basing it on what I've heard it called....or FS Road #7903, I guess. nerd.gif (Thanks to a recent report by mhlSilverdale) I can now identify this as a mourning cloak butterfly, that played tag with me on the trail. suuure.gif
Mourning Cloak Butterfly
Mourning Cloak Butterfly
This area was torched in the '94 fire. Ten years ago, it still looked desolate. It's now starting to fill in.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)