Forum Index > Trip Reports > Iron Peak and Teanaway Peak - 5.13.2014
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed May 14, 2014 3:08 pm 
First the important stuff... I was able to drive my RAV4 to the Iron Peak Trailhead... however, shortly after that I would have been stopped by a snow patch about a mile before reaching the end of the road. Good luck if you have a low-clearance vehicle. Also... on the drive home, we turned up the road to the Bean/Beverly Trailhead and found absolutely no snow on it. Parking at 3900 feet, we found the trail covered by snow at ~4200 feet... allowing us to avoid the switchbacks and take a fairly direct route to the north ridge (6300') of Iron Peak... where we turned south and made the half-mile ridge walk to the Iron Peak summit (6510')... where we found excellent views in all directions. Leaving the Iron Peak summit, we hiked back down Iron's north ridge to the Teanaway/Iron col (6200')... where we stashed our snowshoes... then post-holed our way along the SE side of Teanaway Peak as we worked our way over to the east ridge... leaving a few hundred feet of elevation gain to the Teanaway Peak summit (6779')... where the views are even broader than on Iron Peak. 6.2 miles roundtrip, gaining ~3200 feet of elevation. GPS route and photos of our trip to Iron Peak and Teanaway Peak. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed May 14, 2014 3:33 pm 
Timely, thanks. Looks like morning snow was hard enough that you were not penetrating much on shoes or foot. That's a steep traverse over to Teanaway NE ridge! Welcome home. I got back last night...in a bit of shock. John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message