Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cashmere Mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ree

ree
PostMon May 26, 2014 9:03 pm 
Cashmere Mountain 5/24/2014 Our intention was a prominent peak on the west side of the Cascade Crest, but THAT wasn't going to happen with the forecast of rain and clouds. What's the point of the effort if you're socked in? Well, better not ask that question with this crowd. embarassedlaugh.gif Nevermind. The forecast was decent for the east side of the crest, so we decided on our alternative, Cashmere Mountain. At 8,501',Cashmere Mountain makes the list of top 100 highest peaks of Washington. Admittedly, my view of Icicle Creek peaks is rather tame, but I was fooled by ignorance. Cashmere is a nice hulking peak, with lots of gain, and pucker-factor scrambling on top. Wow, Memorial Day weekend crowds were out, tour de force. It was CROWDED. Trailheads, parking lots, trails... I'm really blown away by how many people go out with not enough water, clothing, etc. And of course, there was more than one dog owner contemplating ignoring the ban on bringing dogs on the trail. Both dog owners said they consulted the WTA website looking to see if bringing their dogs were okay, but said there was no mention of it on the Eightmile Trail. So they brought dogs, only to be disappointed. Throngs of people were on the Eightmile Lake Trail, but at Little Eightmile Lake, we turned north and headed towards Lake Caroline, where crowds thinned considerably. The trail switchbacked steeply up to a bench, and as it leveled out, snow became consistent (approx. 6,100'). Continuing to climb, we reached the hilltop above Lake Caroline. We came upon Opus and Lindsey, some mountaineer acquaintances, at the high point above Lake Caroline. It blows my mind you can be in the middle of nowhere and come across people you know... but I guess it is a small world, especially in the hiking community up here. We scrambled down around Lake Caroline's outlet, and meandered to a flat spot in the snow near Little Caroline Lake. We dropped our packs and headed north east to Cashmere Mountain's southern shoulder. It was a loonnnnng trip upwards, over tundra, rocks, and snowfields, leaving trees and brush behind. The southern reaching shoulder of Cashmere Mountain is wide and grand, giving spectacular views of Mt. Stuart, Assguard Pass, Colchuck Lake, etc. It was pretty easy travel, considering the elevation. We crossed a saddle between Cashmere Mountain and Point 8,219' and headed up a bootpath on Cashmere's west ridge. We saw boot prints in a northern-aspected snowfield with a frightening run out, and thinking we could avoid that and scramble to the summit from the west ridge, we headed up. It turned out that getting to the actual summit was impossible from there, given our equipment shortages and day light running out. So we all were content to enjoy the view on the western ridge of the summit, and have snacks. We called it "good enough" and headed back down, arriving at our camp around dusk.
Steve inspects brand new sign
Steve inspects brand new sign
burnt log and Eight Mile Creek
burnt log and Eight Mile Creek
Rest stop at Little Eight Mile Lake
Eight Mile Lake
Eight Mile Lake
glacier lilies galore
glacier lilies galore
Our objective: Â Cashmere Mountain
Our objective: Â Cashmere Mountain
making our way up to Cashmere Mountain with Mt. Stuart peeking in bg
making our way up to Cashmere Mountain with Mt. Stuart peeking in bg
Little Annapurna, with Ass Guard Pass
Little Annapurna, with Ass Guard Pass
Snow-bound Annapurna; ColdChuck Lake
3 labels
Snow-bound Annapurna; ColdChuck Lake
tundra heaven
tundra heaven
Eileen and Stuart
2 labels
Eileen and Stuart
the east side mountains
the east side mountains
boot path up west ridge
boot path up west ridge
Mt. Stuart
Mt. Stuart
Mt. Axis
Mt. Axis
scrambling up the west ridge
scrambling up the west ridge
you can see the "trail" on the left
you can see the "trail" on the left
Icicle Ridge
Icicle Ridge
Mt. Stuart, with Rainier on right
Mt. Stuart, with Rainier on right
mountain couple
mountain couple
glad to be sitting down... for once.
glad to be sitting down... for once.
weather coming in from the west
weather coming in from the west
Mt. Stuart on left, Mt. Rainier on right
Mt. Stuart on left, Mt. Rainier on right
color-speckled climbers come down
color-speckled climbers come down
snowy camp
snowy camp
kitchen kamp
kitchen kamp
Snow was soft and deep, but great for plunge-stepping. The next day, clouds had moved in, and we headed back down to the Eightmile Lake trailhead. We managed to dodge rain, but showers were intermittent on the way back to the car. Still, the thongs of tourons poured in en masse on this holiday weekend.
Holes in the rocks
Holes in the rocks
Axis and Eightmile Lake
Axis and Eightmile Lake
paintbrush bliss
paintbrush bliss
hole in the rock
hole in the rock

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostMon May 26, 2014 10:44 pm 
ree wrote:
That is me in orange shirt in the middle of the picture... smile.gif I thought that some people looked familiar... I am the one that asked men in the picture where are they heading! We were out with the children on the hike! Nice pictures! up.gif

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
ree

ree
PostMon May 26, 2014 11:02 pm 
Hey Sergio - That is hilarious. I mean, why even bring a camera? - If some stranger will take shots of you and prominently feature you in a trip report... Save some weight. wink.gif biggrin.gif You are the Elvis of nwhikers or something... dizzy.gif A tamer trip for sure for you. I know what you are capable of... winksmile.gif

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostMon May 26, 2014 11:11 pm 
I will be checking pictures from our group, I think some of them took pictures of your group also smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif I had to choose between going to the top of Mt. Colchuck, or be on a hike with children group on that day... Three of my sons were in that group, so I went with them. We did spend two nights and three days camping also! (By the way, I am also in Opus trip report picture from the same day... lol.gif )

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue May 27, 2014 12:27 am 
Cashmere is a fun one. When I did it, that snow traverse on the west side was like bullet ice. No axe penetration. And bad, bad runout. Scared the sh## out of me.

loper

loper
PostTue May 27, 2014 7:39 am 
Thanks for bringing the camera Ree! Can't believe I left mine in the car. Such stunning light and scenery!

ree

ree
PostTue May 27, 2014 8:44 am 
Sergio, I remember meeting you at the calendar social? No? Good choice, to choose to go out with family instead of the challenging-mountain-notch-on-belt. I wonder if you will scare up any photos... up.gif Fletcher, Cashmere is a really fun and challenging one. I'd like to do it again late season. Hey Loper, thanks for the great time. Yeah, I forgot my camera more than once. doh.gif

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostTue May 27, 2014 11:27 am 
Quote:
We called it "good enough" and headed back down
That's always a tough call when you're so close to the summit, but without enough gear and/or daylight. Good on you to turn around. We'd rather read your cool trip report in this forum than read about your rescue in the headlines! up.gif up.gif

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostTue May 27, 2014 11:59 am 
I really like the "color-speckled climbers coming down" photo. Neat to see at least three separate groups of NWHikers cross paths at one spot . . . and not know it immediately.