Forum Index > Trip Reports > Leecher, Lookout, and First Butte Lookouts: 5/17-5/18/14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon May 19, 2014 12:52 am 
Headed over to the beautiful Methow valley this weekend. My good friend was running a 50k near Patterson Mountain, so that left me with plenty of time to visit a few lookouts smile.gif Lookout Mountain Lookout Awesome lookout. The last couple of miles of road to the TH are rough. The trail is short, steep, and sweet. Views are outstanding.
First Butte Lookout There are two ways to access First Butte: via the Bromas Creek drainage or via the Leroy Creek drainage. Headed up the Bromas Creek road (FS 37) to see if it had been repaired. It is still washed out. Headed back down the road and over to the Leroy Creek route. About 7 miles up FS-5010-100, I was stopped by a couple of downed trees and had to retreat. The next morning, I bought a saw at the local hardware store and headed back up the Leroy Creek drainage, ready to saw up some timber. To my surprise, someone had beat me to it sometime in the past 12 hours. Thank you to whoever did that! The roads from here up to the lookout were real rough. Just before the lookout, there was a (skinny) downed tree, which allowed me to put the saw to use. Up at the lookout, the views were magnificent.
Leecher Mt. Lookout Then it was on to Leecher Mt. Lookout. On the drive up, I encountered some lazy cows sleeping in the road. They eventually mooooved out of my way. I was able to drive to within 1.2 miles of the lookout, only to be stopped by a locked gate. As I began the short trek upward, I ran into Redwic and PaulM coming down - nice to finally meet you both!
With some extra time to spare before it was time to pick up the crazy runner at the finish line, I headed over to Blackpine Lake, which was really pretty.
Lookout nos. 32, 33, and 34 cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon May 19, 2014 5:21 am 
You go girl!!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon May 19, 2014 6:36 am 
up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostMon May 19, 2014 7:10 am 
What Bob said! So awesome 3 down! hockeygrin.gif

n16ht5

n16ht5
PostMon May 19, 2014 10:20 am 
nice! You got some really great photos. We were up on Lookout Mt Sunday Is there a site or book to find directions to all of the lookouts you go to? I have to really dig sometimes to find the information.

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostMon May 19, 2014 11:22 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
up.gif I was thinking of that on the way up the Colchuck lake last week... need to bring my saw more often, specially in the spring time...

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon May 19, 2014 11:27 am 
Nice tour. up.gif I don't remember Lookout lookout being so sadlooking two years ago.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon May 19, 2014 7:03 pm 
It was good finally meeting you, too, albeit unplanned. I'm glad you went to the old crow's nest LO tree, too. In most cases, I usually do not repeat peaks... but Mount Leecher is a nice one and it was better than sitting at home. During our drive back down Highway 153, the storm system was moving in fast and we watched the outside temperatures change by 17 degrees(!) within two miles. From 73 to 56. Yowsers. Later, it was 76 degrees in Wenatchee but 46 degrees at Stevens Pass. Double yowsers.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon May 19, 2014 7:34 pm 
^ I saw those dark clouds over 153 and wondered about the weather there. We were headed home on Hwy 20 around 9pm. Not a drop of water fell from the sky until Newhalem...then bam, crazy rain! Really intense wind/rain driving down I-5 in Marysville last night, too. Glad we had the great weather while we were out.
n16ht5 wrote:
We were up on Lookout Mt Sunday Is there a site or book to find directions to all of the lookouts you go to? I have to really dig sometimes to find the information.
bummer I missed you! I have a copy of the 1981 Ira Spring/Byron Fish lookout book, but it's only useful for random tidbits - a lot of the lookouts in it are long gone. I typically just pick a lookout on this map and then just google information from there. summitpost.org has some good information, as does Steph Abbeg's site, as well as some of the TRs on this site. Loved that shot of Green Mountain LO that you took last year up.gif