Forum Index > Partners > Volunteer logout Tr#749. Castle Pass aka Three Fools Ck
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon May 19, 2014 11:36 am 
Volunteer position for a certified sawyer. Trying to organize a small crew (2,4,6 max) to log out the blowdown on Tr#749 east of Ross Lake to Castle Pass and the PCT. A number of people are interested. This is not a rogue operation; a USFS guy at Methow is supportive. I'm new to this and want to jump through all the hoops and keep the lawyers happy. The smaller the crew, the less paperwork for USFS. A certified sawyer (with a saw) would help our cred. There IS some "big stuff" requiring a real saw, but mostly it's lodgepoles <8-10"; stuff you can do with a good Corona pruning saw. Hundreds of them, literally. BYOS. This is east of Lightning Ck campsite on Ross Lake; east of Nightmare Camp shelter; starts at the NRA boundary; blowdown is thick all the way to treeline above Elbow Basin, maybe 4+ miles. Google Maps view of trail section roughly, it's everything S of Skagit Pk, and not quite up the the ridge crest. Water taxi is $210 RT (by the trip, not by the head), 6 people max; would be nice to split that (and gas) 4 ways at least. 2 motivated people could do it (4-5 days total?); 4 would be quicker; 6 would be easy. Conceivably, some could backpack out via PCT or Devil's Ridge. A day or two off to prowl the high country would be nice; it's lovely. Date is speculative. Prolly dry, hot, Bug Hell in July-Aug -- somebody will get stung -- but I'm game for that. Save Sept for better things? Dunno. PM me.
Tr#749 9/5/12.  Blowdown near Little Fish Shelter.
Tr#749 9/5/12. Blowdown near Little Fish Shelter.
Joker Mt. summit.
Joker Mt. summit.
Looking  SE from Tr#749.  Woody Pass dead center.  The big peak is 3 Fools.  Lakeview Ridge to left.  Powder Mt. & Shull Mt. to right.
Looking SE from Tr#749. Woody Pass dead center. The big peak is 3 Fools. Lakeview Ridge to left. Powder Mt. & Shull Mt. to right.
Castle Ridge Tr#749, 6400, leaving the burn, about to traverse into Big Face basin.
Castle Ridge Tr#749, 6400, leaving the burn, about to traverse into Big Face basin.
Looking up Big Face Basin.  Joker Mt. at left.
Looking up Big Face Basin. Joker Mt. at left.
Big Al wants revenge.
Big Al wants revenge.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue May 20, 2014 12:18 am 
If you haven't gotten a taker when your trip starts getting closer, message me. I'll (hopefully) have a better idea of what's in my radar by then.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 20, 2014 7:50 am 
Check with me, too, but only if in September.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
kite

kite
PostTue May 20, 2014 7:52 am 
I am kind of interested in a July trip? let me get with Graffiti and see what't on his schedule..

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun May 25, 2014 7:49 pm 
eek.gif I'm in!

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun May 25, 2014 9:26 pm 
Sounds like hella fun. up.gif

RichP

RichP
PostSun May 25, 2014 9:34 pm 
The earlier the better for me.

Arthur

Arthur
PostTue May 27, 2014 10:10 am 
How big are the "big trees"? I'm certified at "B" level by USFS for crosscut, bucking only. Let me know when your trip dates firm up - - like most, I'm trying to juggle dates for playing. Hulksmash, Gwen and I have worked together logging out another trail.

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue May 27, 2014 10:32 am 
Some respondents prefer Sept. It might take that long to get organized and do USFS paperwork. But I could go anytime. In the 2nd photo, that black horizontal log is about as big as it gets in the valley. Where the trail zigzags up the south-facing ridge/slope, I recall 5-6 nests of blowdown that might include bigger logs, but not much bigger. It would be nice to have a single bucksaw. I'll buy a 16.5" Silky Sugowaza, which should be big enough for most. A pal has one. I'll post for info; maybe we can get a detailed report from a hiker this summer.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue May 27, 2014 12:22 pm 
wolffie wrote:
4-5 days total?
If you go all the way to the PCT, it's over 20 miles one-way & another 30 down the PCT to Hart's Pass, which would probably be easier than going back. Pretty ambitious without doing trail work.

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue May 27, 2014 12:37 pm 
Ross Lake water taxi to Lightning Ck ($210 roundtrip; max 6; split 4-6 ways; 6 PM curfew for return trip). Approx. 4 mi? to NRA boundary where work begins. Blowdown area is approx 4 mi? to timberline E of Skagit Pk. I wasn't thinking of going any further. 9/2012, it was easy going past timberline. Some brush in Big Face basin -- maybe we could send a lightly armed recon crew that far, but I hadn't been thinking about it. Work on entry and exit days. If we finish early, time permitting, maybe some hiking. Joker Mt. is nice. I'd thought about doing this solo, or with only 2 people, until I found out the taxi fare. Else a flat but tedious slog up the East Bank trail.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue May 27, 2014 12:58 pm 
I was thinking of doing a weekend recon trip.....but looking at the mileage along the east bank trail just getting to lightning creek looks like a haul round trip. Add the recon of the actual trail work site it's the edge of my ability for a weekend trip. Anyone have a zodiac with a motor?

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostTue May 27, 2014 1:29 pm 
Hulk you could also come in from the N side, cross the border at Sumas and drive down the gravel road to Ross Lake. Hike in from Hozomeen Flats to camp at Hozomeen Lake or at Nightmare. Saves you the dollars, but adds a few miles to your truck. I'd be interested in joining y'all's for the pre-trips in Spring and summer, but will be away in late Sept for the actual logout. I've been on the Hozomeen-Lightning trail ( and to the junction to the other trails ) a few times, it's rarely trod but oh so beautiful. It gets a brushing every so often by the SCA. It did in 2006 and again a few years ago. Anyways, an alternative approach for your consideration.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue May 27, 2014 2:32 pm 
Humm... Wonder what the drive time is. What are the additional hassles of the border crossings?

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue May 27, 2014 4:37 pm 
I posted a request for recon by passersby here and on the most recent TRs on wta.org. I'll email Backcountry Horsemen. Forgive me for suggesting this possibility, but maybe USFS has a detailed report. I'll ask next time I talk to the guy at Methow RS. hassles of crossing Canadian border with your corgi