Forum Index > Trip Reports > Navaho Pass 2014-05-24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSun May 25, 2014 9:30 am 
From previous years, the Navaho Pass trail reports now and then feature great wildflower photos from May, but it looks like it's a bit too early this year to enjoy the show fully. There are lots and lots of glacier lillies, but the wildflowers that pace themselves a bit better are not yet out, except some at lower altitudes. Lupine hasn't made it yet beyond ~3000ft. Spotty snow started at roughly 4200ft. The snow stays spotty for a long time, and does not become continuous until ~5500ft. The snow pack is pretty dense already, so we did not use our snowshoes. We also did not need traction. The trail is generally not very steep, and where it is steep, the snow is mostly gone. We lost the trail a few times in the early partial snow cover. Water is running down the mountains everywhere, and because the forest is pretty open it is difficult to figure out where the trail exactly is. The various maps (USGS, Green Trails, OpenStreetmap) also show the trail in various places, and none of them seems very accurate. In any case, loosing the trail is no big deal here due to the easy terrain. The cross of the east fork of the Stafford Creek at the end of the valley was a bit tricky, and resulted in a wet foot for me. On the road back we put a bit more avalanche debris in the creek. One thing that confused me is that once you get to the pass, Stuart, Adam and Rainier are nowhere to be seen (as opposed to what the guidebook claims). You need to climb towards the Navaho Peak for about 400ft more before you get a good view of those.
Avalanche Power
Avalanche Power
Stafford Creek split at the end of the valley floor
Stafford Creek split at the end of the valley floor
Flowers:
Anemone
Anemone
Trillium
Trillium
Trillium
Trillium
Fairyslipper (?) to Navaho Pass
Fairyslipper (?) to Navaho Pass
Glacier Lilly with a butterfly
Glacier Lilly with a butterfly
Paintbrush
Paintbrush
Views from ~6400ft
View of Mount Adams from Navaho Pass
View of Mount Adams from Navaho Pass
Mt Stuart from Navaho Pass
Mt Stuart from Navaho Pass
View from Navaho Pass from roughly ~6400ft: Mt Stuart, Sherpa Peak, Argonaut Peak
View from Navaho Pass from roughly ~6400ft: Mt Stuart, Sherpa Peak, Argonaut Peak
Little Annapurna
Little Annapurna
Navaho Pass:
View of Navaho Pass
View of Navaho Pass
Navaho Pass tree
Navaho Pass tree
Panorama south west:
Earl Peak from Navaho Pass
Earl Peak from Navaho Pass
Panorama of Enchantment peaks from the pass:
Panorama of the Enchantment Peaks
Panorama of the Enchantment Peaks
Album on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bravenboer/sets/72157644882306053/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun May 25, 2014 9:40 am 
I was up there on Thursday. I also lost the trail several times and abandoned it all together as I neared the pass.

tigermn

tigermn
PostSun May 25, 2014 5:36 pm 
Was anybody going up to the peak? Any tracks? Yea a bit early for the snow to be melted out for sure.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSun May 25, 2014 5:57 pm 
@tigermn Yes, at the pass we ran into a couple that was going to the peak. It looked pretty doable: the snow was nicely consolidated higher up as well (like us, they did carry snowshoes). On the road back we also ran into a group of four (after the Stafford Creek crossing). It looked like they were planning an overnight stay, so I guess they would also go to the peak. There were now and then faint tracks ahead of us in the snow, but difficult to guess how old they were due to the quick ongoing melting (perhaps they were just from olderthanIusedtobe).

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun May 25, 2014 6:26 pm 
I would guess the snow cover is patchy between the pass and the peak. Looked to be quite a bit of bare ground. I climbed Miller Peak the next day after going to Navaho Pass and got a view back in that direction.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon May 26, 2014 7:26 am 
mbravenboer wrote:
The cross of the east fork of the Stafford Creek at the end of the valley was a bit tricky, and resulted in a wet foot for me. On the road back we put a bit more avalanche debris in the creek.
Where is this crossing you refer to? Is it the one right before that junction or later? I do recall Stafford Creek being deeper but that was the Stafford Creek just to the left of the fork (which isn't the way you go to Navaho. Of course I was always later in season so I'm sure it's different earlier. Just not sure which/where you are talking about.

RichardJ

RichardJ
PostMon May 26, 2014 9:06 am 
My daughter and I did our first hike to Navaho the week before on the 17th and hammocked over the snow below the peak. I was amazed at the scattered patches of Yellow Bells on the way up. We will be back in June for at least two nights to really do it right. What a great early season hike.
Yellow Bells on Navaho
Yellow Bells on Navaho

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon May 26, 2014 10:07 am 
@RichardJ indeed, the Yellow Bells were wonderful! @tigermn Here is the crossing that I was referring to. I don't expect people who regularly do early season hikes will have a problem with it though, so don't let it stop you smile.gif. And, there is enough material around to build more of a bridge if needed (an avalanche took down some trees in the area).