Forum Index > Trip Reports > First backpacking trip ever! Gray Wolf River 5/17-18/14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rooinater
JAWS

rooinater
JAWS
PostWed May 21, 2014 2:19 pm 
Well not my first backpacking trip, but one of my best friend's first backpacking trip! and she's hooked! We went out to the Upper Gray Wolf area, accessing the trail from the Slab Camp TH and going out to Camp Ellis. We kind of got delayed with getting her dog to the dog sitter and getting out to get permits. So we decided to stop at Camp Ellis instead of going further since we started hiking around noon, and neither of us lookeed up sunset for the day. The trail was pretty dry, with only a few sprinkles over night. On the way out it didn't start really raining until the climb back up to the parking lot from Slab Camp. Here's a few photos, and if you want the whole story (long read) there's a link to the blog post as well below. Which includes a couple more pictures and a lot more writing. Jared's Adventure Blog

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostWed May 21, 2014 3:03 pm 
Nice pics and description! I've been wanting to hike out the rest of that area this summer so thank you for the update! Did you get any impression of what elevation you encounter snow? (I'd assume around 4-5k' right now) Also, what do you think the temps got down to at night?

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
rooinater
JAWS

rooinater
JAWS
PostWed May 21, 2014 3:33 pm 
The temperature in the morning was about 42 degrees on my little thermometer. I'd assume the snow level was probalby close to 4k'. The original plan was falls camp and see how far we could make it up the way trail to the lake in the morning, but we started about 3-4 hours later than we wanted to, and I haven't been paying attention to what time was sunset. So we made a conservative call so that we could spend time in camp and introduce her to all the little tasks like setting up camp, cooking, food storage and enjoy a small fire before going to sleep.

bkellygr

bkellygr
PostWed May 21, 2014 8:33 pm 
Did you hear from anyone (rangers or hikers) that have taken the trail from Three Forks up to Deer Park? I know that hill side usually melts early, but I'm just not sure if it is too early. I was thinking about this trail but was wanting to take the ridge back to the car. Thanks for sharing!

rooinater
JAWS

rooinater
JAWS
PostWed May 21, 2014 10:10 pm 
The people we ran into at the trailhead when returning to the car said they hiked out that way, but got hailed on. Beyond that I didn't find out any further info on the ridge trail. Sorry, we really didn't even see anyone on the trail the second day at all. The first day there was one person camped at slab camp, then one large group day hiking. Beyond that it was a very vacant trail...

Boots
Gone Kayaking

Boots
Gone Kayaking
PostThu May 22, 2014 10:07 am 
I'm wondering if that was your group my wife and I passed on Sunday. What started out as a nice morning turned to showers in the afternoon by the time we got back to the TH. It was a nice hike for sure. hockeygrin.gif up.gif

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." -Helen Keller
RodF

RodF
PostSun May 25, 2014 2:41 pm 
bkellygr wrote:
Did you hear from anyone (rangers or hikers) that have taken the trail from Three Forks up to Deer Park? I know that hill side usually melts early, but I'm just not sure if it is too early.
It's not too early, this year. I'm sure it's clear of snow. Deer Park Road and Deer Ridge Trail are nearly snow free. Expect the road to open on or ahead of schedule this year (i.e. in about two weeks, I'd guess).

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva