Forum Index > Trip Reports > Meadow Mountain LO Site (Stampede Pass Area) 5.25.14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostTue May 27, 2014 5:45 am 
I90 west of Stampede Pass 2080 elevation gain 9 1/2 miles r/t 6 1/2 hours A pretty easy hike even though I had to start at the turn off just before the creek due to snow on the road. I followed the road to almost the end before ascending through the forest to the summit. The road is still covered in '1-'3 of snow but there are bare stretches. The weather was iffy. Pretty grey yet stayed dry just long enough for me to summit and check out the views. Cool rock work on top. Not much left lookout-wise. Some nails and the guy wire. Checked out the 'Chants and surrounding mountains then it got cold and rainy. A dreary snow-road walk back. Nice views from this road! I imagine it's a popular destination in the summer from all the cans I saw on the shoulder. Seems like every time I'd look I'd see a can.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sewellel

Sewellel
PostTue May 27, 2014 10:06 am 
like2thruhike wrote:
I imagine it's a popular destination in the summer from all the cans I saw on the shoulder. Seems like every time I'd look I'd see a can.
Last summer I found syringes and other drug paraphernalia at the spot in your third photo. I've been seeing that stuff more and more in the Stampede Pass area.

RichP

RichP
PostTue May 27, 2014 11:40 am 
Good on you to finally get that one done.

manakiah

manakiah
PostTue May 27, 2014 8:15 pm 
.357 enough said.

Mikey

Mikey
PostThu May 29, 2014 8:08 am 
Has anyone ever seen the old trail to the Meadow Mtn Lookout? This trail was used before the logging roads were put in. I have tried to find the old USFS trail from the Meadow Mtn Lookout site to the PCT but have been unsuccessful; perhaps because the logging adjacent to the PCT has covered up the trail. Looking at old maps, it appears that Meadow Mtn trail goes from the PCT SE almost to the Seattle Watershed boundary and then more easterly up the ridge toward Meadow Mtn. It would seem that this old trail could be mostly in unlogged old growth timber.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostThu May 29, 2014 9:31 am 
Question for you Like2Thru: Did you hike / drive the road to / toward Meadow Pass before hiking up the Mtn? How was the condition if you did? That's one of our access points to take care of that part of the PCT. Curious for any info on the melt out in that vicinity. I guess I'm unclear where you had to park and the creek you're referring to. Thanks.

like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostThu May 29, 2014 5:25 pm 
I parked on FR 5483. The creek, Meadow Creek. Sorry, I thought folks on here only read photos. suuure.gif