Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Weird price collusion on Petzl headlamps?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri May 30, 2014 10:45 pm 
A week or so ago I got an email from Petzl touting their new headlamp. The email got me interested, and so I clicked "Buy now", which brought up a page that had four links so I could buy it from one of their approved merchants. So, out of curiosity I clicked on REI to see how much these things cost. $54.95 at REI. Kinda steep I thought, so I clicked on Moosejaw's link - and they had it for $43.00. Wow I thought, so I clicked Backcountry and they had it for $41.00. I clicked the last link, Karst Sports, but it didn't work. Huh, I thought, REI sure is steep - $14 over the lowest priced seller. I told the story to a few people and just kind of chocked it up as another reason to avoid REI. Fast forward to tonight when I got the urge to actually purchase the thing, so I went back to the old email and checked the links again, looking for that low price. Backcountry was now, magically, $54.95. Moosejaw was ...wait for it...$54.95. OK, I get it. REI got embarrased by their high prices comparative to the other distributors and leaned on Petzl, who leaned on Backcountry and Moosejaw to raise their prices. But REALLY??? The cat was out of the bag, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who noticed. It's sleazy, and maybe it was Petzle who got pissed that Backcountry and Mossejaw were selling their headlamp so cheap, but I bet it was REI who got pissed about this glaring example of their overpricing. So what did I do? Went on Ebay, and got the same lamp for $39.00 with free shipping. All's well that ends well, but REALLY???

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat May 31, 2014 12:27 am 
Backcountry and Moosejaw probably just raised there prices when they figured they could make an extra 14 dollars just like REI.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostSat May 31, 2014 5:39 am 
Its probably the cookies on your computer. The more you click on the item, the price goes up. Noticed that on more and more things. Always visit incognito.

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSat May 31, 2014 8:03 am 
interesting idea I have hear of that when shopping for travel tickets. never have seen it laid out so plainly as here I never remember to use my incognito tab

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSat May 31, 2014 10:58 am 
Maybe it was just Backcountry and Moosejaw who realized that they were leaving money on the table. Do you really believe REI and Petzl conspired and forced other companies to raise prices on a product you were shopping for?

touron

touron
PostSat May 31, 2014 11:49 am 
uhh.gif As we quickly approach the longest day of the year, it would seem they should be lowering prices, not raising them!

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
n16ht5

n16ht5
PostSun Jun 01, 2014 12:02 am 
you want this headlamp (SR05): XML headlamp I was coming down pilchuck one night and caught up to some people with it, I heard them say, "is that a jet landing behind us?"

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Jun 01, 2014 7:41 am 
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
Do you really believe REI and Petzl conspired and forced other companies to raise prices on a product you were shopping for?
It would not be the first time that something like this has happened. Adam Smith wrote extensively about the "distortion" of trade: The Wealth Of Nations, Book IV Chapter VIII, v. ii, p. 660, para. 49. People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices…. But though the law cannot hinder people of the same trade from sometimes assembling together, it ought to do nothing to facilitate such assemblies, much less to render them necessary.

SusanHikes

SusanHikes
PostSun Jun 01, 2014 11:38 am 
Another possibility is that Petzl requires resellers to sign MAP (minimum advertized pricing) agreements in order to distribute their goods. Perhaps the first two resellers you mentioned slipped up and didn't follow their agreements with Petzl initially and then course corrected. A quick Google search of "Petzl MAP pricing" suggests Petzl does indeed do this as some websites acknowledge they can't post anything lower than Petzl's MAP pricing but tell you to call/email for actual price suggesting they actually sell for less.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Jun 01, 2014 2:46 pm 
SusanHikes wrote:
Another possibility is that Petzl requires resellers to sign MAP (minimum advertized pricing) agreements in order to distribute their goods. Perhaps the first two resellers you mentioned slipped up and didn't follow their agreements with Petzl initially and then course corrected. A quick Google search of "Petzl MAP pricing" suggests Petzl does indeed do this as some websites acknowledge they can't post anything lower than Petzl's MAP pricing but tell you to call/email for actual price suggesting they actually sell for less.
That makes sense. Out of curiosity I price checked a few more items and the prices of the three companies were within pennies of each other.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostWed Nov 19, 2014 5:15 pm 
Chico

Chico
PostWed Nov 19, 2014 5:53 pm 
Dang you are persistent! Between June and today you've been scouring the internet for proof, haven't you? Thanks for bringing this to my attention since I truly was not aware of it before. But from now on I'll be more careful shopping on line. Time to go into stealth mode.