Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Now Congress Wants to Close Down Roads!!?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 12:41 am 
There are many roads in national forests that serve little recreational purpose. Eliminating those roads that don't access trailheads or other points of interest would direct funds toward the maintenance of more important roads.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 9:27 am 
As an aside (or an attempt to hijack this topic), this stuff tends to just piss me off. Why? Because it takes all the fun out of back country recreation for me. Let me explain. At the age of 61, I still have a huge level of 10 yo boy deep down inside. I like to walk on logs, ford rivers, explore cool things, sit quietly taking in the wonder of a meadow, giggle inside at hearing the bugle of an elk bull just 20 feet away, ... I have almost no wonkish bureaucrat inside me. I can barely remember the number of the road I drove yesterday. I know where I have to turn and stuff, I just have no interest in remembering the number names of the roads. But there is more than just remenbering road numbers, it seems like I also need an understanding of the various regulations which govern our network of USFS roads, as well as all the other land managers involved in our network of access roads. I have learned stuff over the years, but the more I learn the more I realize the huge bureaucratic mess of regs I have no hope of ever comprehending. It certainly doesn't help that so much of these regs are couched in specialized technical terms and a mamoth list of acronyms and abbreviations. This brings me to the point of trying to educate myself about these issues. Where do I get information? Where do I start? I learn a lot from well informed people here. But frankly, sometimes the info here can also be wrong or at the very least slanted. Wading through government PDFs is an exhausting task. And now they ask me to make comments. I am overwhelmed at the idea of actually making an informed comment about roads in ONF, let alone comment on roads in Mt Baker NF, etc. And I don't think I am the only one overwhelmed. And then the land managers scold us later when we complain about our favorite road being closed/decomissioned, stating that there was a comment period and they only got XX number of comments. The implication is we have no right to complain unless we submitted a comment. So who makes comments on these types of issues? First of all would be those in advocacy groups like OPA, OFC, Audubon Society, etc. Next would be those in industry groups. And then thre are those who are just plain anoraks about stuff like this. The average backcountry recreationist is ill-equiped to make comments about these types of issues. I hope I have explained my frustration in an understandable manner. Maybe I should have started a separate thread on this subject. Anyway, I just want to register my feelings about this. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 9:53 am 
Rumi The ONF has a really good FAQ page that cites the actual regs, and provides links. There are the public meetings as well. MBS had many public meetings about the process and local not for profits were involved who invited their members to ask questions. So - get with the organizations you belong to, attend Open Houses, check out their websites, and get on the horn to ask questions of either the orgs you belong to who are involved, or the Forest Service point person.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 11:01 am 
Rumi wrote:
So who makes comments on these types of issues? First of all would be those in advocacy groups like OPA, OFC, Audubon Society, etc. Next would be those in industry groups. And then thre are those who are just plain anoraks about stuff like this.
yep, yep, and yep. you are not alone. it takes up way too much time, the documents (for the most part) are undecipherable and bloated with redundant fluff. but.... if you don't make the effort and submit a comment, the planners have nothing to work with other than the usual agenda-driven feedback from "environmental" groups and industrial interests. same anywhere you go. if it was on the GPNF, they'd get maybe half a dozen comments on any given project: one from GPTF, one from Columbia Helicopters, and four from local whackos (like me.) nothing new under the sun. smile.gif as Kim suggested, more often than not the best course of action is to just pick up the phone and get hold of the planner/project supervisor. there are (believe it or not) a few of them who are actually able to communicate over the phone using common English-language terms.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

PostFri Jun 06, 2014 11:17 am 
RumiDude wrote:
...........But there is more than just remenbering road numbers, it seems like I also need an understanding of the various regulations which govern our network of USFS roads, as well as all the other land managers involved in our network of access roads. I have learned stuff over the years, but the more I learn the more I realize the huge bureaucratic mess of regs I have no hope of ever comprehending. It certainly doesn't help that so much of these regs are couched in specialized technical terms and a mamoth list of acronyms and abbreviations. This brings me to the point of trying to educate myself about these issues. Where do I get information? Where do I start? I learn a lot from well informed people here. But frankly, sometimes the info here can also be wrong or at the very least slanted. Wading through government PDFs is an exhausting task................
As somebody that spent a considerable amount of time reading public comments. Don't worry about regs, policies, etc unless you intend to sue the agency. Let the agency sort those out. Focus on YOUR ideas and solutions. When I read the comments on the Wenatchee Forest Plan we ended up with 54 comments on the Devil's Gulch Roadless Area. It was NOT on anybodies roadless list. That got our attention. And even one comment can make a difference. I was doing a study for the NPS on a conflict between water skiing and houseboating. ONE guy made a comment to me that the houseboaters should be required to camp at least five miles outside the launch area. And there was a handy powerline just at about that distance that everybody could recognize. That got into my report. Somebody read it. And 38 years later I was visiting the lake and noticed in the regulations for houseboaters they are still required to camp above the powerline. I would not worry about regulations, etc. Those can always be changed.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 2:37 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
And then the land managers scold us later when we complain about our favorite road being closed/decomissioned, stating that there was a comment period and they only got XX number of comments. The implication is we have no right to complain unless we submitted a comment
Well, they're human too, and put in hundreds of hours into these meetings, research, and documents, only to be ignored by the public. More likely they’re frustrated with public apathy until it’s too late, which happens all the time. Nowadays with all the information out there provided by agencies and organizations, via websites blogs, emails lists, Twitter, Facebook, etc. – there’s really no excuse to at least not know something’s going on. Sure, there are screw ups and sometimes it might seem a waste of time to attend an Open House, like a recent agency Open House was - but I’d rather attend something that’s a waste of time on occasion than do nothing, ever. I’ve heard people whine about some of these things being on a Saturday. So suck it up and go a day without hiking. What’s a day here and there to help plan the management of your park or forest? They give plenty of advance notice to arrange a dog-sitter, babysitter, or call your sister to say you’ll have dinner with her that day instead of lunch. No system or process is perfect; what goes for one person is crap for another. I’ve seen 509’s name on several of these documents, most recently from the Snoqualmie Pass Adaptive Management Plan from years ago (I figured it’d help me fall asleep, but it turns out that it’s interesting, so I have to go back to snarfing down Harvey’s Bristol Crčme at night) But yeah, simply picking up the phone and saying, "whazzup?" is a good start.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jun 07, 2014 6:47 am 
Apathy? No. The lack of a new, not from here FS group not understanding how to notify folks. They put an announcement in the Chehalis newspaper. Not many of us get that. Word got out via the rumor mill. A few days before the meeting, the phone lines and cell tower was buzzing with folks calling about the plan to close most of the forest. It was kind of a nasty rumor. I found out the time and date and made a few small posters and put them up where the people go and see stuff-the Post Office Door, the mini marts, the grocery. That was a part of the meeting, telling the FS where to put notices. I do see meeting announcements now in the White Pass Shopper, which is free and available at every business in the east county area. It also disappears faster during the winter, when it is needed to start fires in wood stoves. smile.gif Anyway, our meeting was packed with people. Industry, Back Country Horsemen, mill workers, etc. They had it during the evening, but still early enough that timber fallers could sit through it and stay awake. I don't think anybody from the Vancouver based Gifford Pinchot Task Force, which are advocates for road closures, was there. That might have been a good thing. We also have a little group of ATV advocates, who show up for every meeting open to the public that they can. They'll even go to timber sale meetings just to make a statement about wanting more trails open to them. Gotta admire their perserverance.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSat Jun 07, 2014 10:42 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
It costs $$$ to maintain forest service roads. In these days of limited federal budgets that means closing roads when there is heavy/expensive to repair damage. Repeal the Bush / Reagan tax cuts, bring back Carter era tax rates and stop buying tank, planes and other military hardware that the pentagon doesn't even want or need.
What limited federal budget are you lying about? Government spending is higher than ever. Chart A1 at http://www.fs.fed.us/aboutus/budget/2014/Overview%20(COMPLETE).pdf and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Forest_Service#Budget shows that the FS budget INCREASED throughout the dreaded Bush tax cut years. peaked in FY 2010 (due to the Stimulus) then had miniscule cuts each year under your Dear Leader. The radical envrironmentalists WANT roads to falll into disrepair to keep people out and return it to its "natural state". Does that have anything to do with the FS budget? or is it all a Kock Brothers conspiracy? or maybe politicians in DC just dont give a damn about dirt roads on the other side of the country? That last one would really be ironic considering how you people believe that federal and not state or local control of these lands is the only proper way to manage them. And like I always ask people like you, if your taxes are too low how much extra did you donate to the US Treasury this year? They will take the money if send them a check.

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostSat Jun 07, 2014 11:32 am 
/\ rabies.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSat Jun 07, 2014 11:49 am 
/\ brain damage.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jun 07, 2014 3:40 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
It costs $$$ to maintain forest service roads. In these days of limited federal budgets that means closing roads when there is heavy/expensive to repair damage. Repeal the Bush / Reagan tax cuts, bring back Carter era tax rates and stop buying tank, planes and other military hardware that the pentagon doesn't even want or need.
What limited federal budget are you lying about? Government spending is higher than ever. Chart A1 at http://www.fs.fed.us/aboutus/budget/2014/Overview%20(COMPLETE).pdf and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Forest_Service#Budget shows that the FS budget INCREASED throughout the dreaded Bush tax cut years. peaked in FY 2010 (due to the Stimulus) then had miniscule cuts each year under your Dear Leader. The radical envrironmentalists WANT roads to falll into disrepair to keep people out and return it to its "natural state". Does that have anything to do with the FS budget? or is it all a Kock Brothers conspiracy? or maybe politicians in DC just dont give a damn about dirt roads on the other side of the country? That last one would really be ironic considering how you people believe that federal and not state or local control of these lands is the only proper way to manage them. And like I always ask people like you, if your taxes are too low how much extra did you donate to the US Treasury this year? They will take the money if send them a check.
Compare the Forest Service budget when the logging roads were built (1950's, 1960's, 1970's) to what it is now (adjusted for inflation) and it's a fraction. Most of those roads were built with revenue from timber sales. Now that timber sales are a fraction of what they were, the money for road and trail maintainence is less. I wouldn't trade better road maintenance for increased timber sales -- I'm glad that timber sales were limited heavily in the 1980's by wilderness protection and endangered species lawsuits. There are certain roads that I used to drive, that are now either a walk or a MTB ride. I'm OK with that. I think the idea that allowing forest service roads to degrade into trails will reduce the public's commitment to wild places is an idea that has been put forth -- but I haven't seen any facts presented to support this idea -- sure it is some people's opinion and talking points -- but that doesn't mean it is true.

RodF

RodF
PostSat Jun 07, 2014 7:22 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
What limited federal budget are you lying about? Government spending is higher than ever. ...the FS budget INCREASED throughout the dreaded Bush tax cut years. peaked in FY 2010 (due to the Stimulus) then had miniscule cuts each year under your Dear Leader.
Reality check: A growing share, now over half, of the USFS budget is dedicated to fire fighting. (And the bulk of this is in the southwest and Rocky Mountain states.) The road maintenance budget is about 1/4 of what it was. In 1985, Olympic NF had 470 full-time equivalent employees. By 1994, this had declined to half, 235. By 2001, it had declined to a quarter, 115. Today it is less than one-fifth, 84. (Olympic NF Socioeconomics p. 27). Every USFS employee I know has at least two full-time job assignments. Since 1990, Olympic NF's appropriated budget has fallen by 2/3 and its timber harvest (from which it can retain some revenues) by 90% (RAC study page 31).

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jun 08, 2014 8:31 am 
CHECKTHISOUT wrote:
90% decline because they cut all the trees or because of spotted owl/endangered species?
I will speak for my area. 90% because of the Northwest Forest Plan and the end of cutting valuable, old growth timber. And no, not all the old growth was cut, and yes, endangered species which is related to the plan is the culprit in trying to sell any timber sale. And no, we don't need to cut more old growth, it is the wrong size and what was left is there for a reason. The pendulum has swung to the other way. It could easily head more towards the middle--the FS could offer more timber up for sale. Thanks to the reforestation efforts of the CCC and later folks, the Yacolt and Cispus burns have beautiful trees that may be too big or getting too big for the majority of mills. There are clearcuts that were reforested fromt he 1950s and 60s that are of good size. Right now there is a good market, and the FS is not in the game. Apparently the majority or loudest of the people don't want timber sales. The annual cut for the entire Gifford Pichot National Forest is......around.....30 million board feet. That's tiny. In the good old days, when a road needed repair or maintenance, a timber sale was put in that area. Roads were repaired and maintained or logs couldn't get out. Can't do that anymore. Fires drain the budget each year. Read the thread on fires. We're screwed unless folks decide that timber management on non-wilderness or non-dickybird habitat is OK. Time to put in my blurb that we need some higher elevation clearcuts for huckleberries. The old patches are fading as the tree canopy closes in. Yup, them reforestation folks did a wonderful job. My huckleberry patches are fading away. But the roads to them are washing out too, so it will be a moot point. My friend suggested I plant some blueberry bushes because huckleberries will soon be extremely hard to find, so I have done that. And, before you all answer about berries being plentiful, in this area the competition is ferocious. We actually have little tent settlements in the woods where commercial huckleberry pickers camp, and tents in "town" where the buyers are set up. Those folks arrive in patches by the van full, pick it and move on. When we traditional/recreational pickers find patches or have patches that have not been discovered, we've got to keep our mouths shut when talking to FS people, or they'll send the hordes up to that area. It is illegal to pack out huckleberries from the wilderness here. So that's not the answer. I pick enough to can and make huckleberry pies and cobbler for special occasions, or give jars for gifts to close friends. I did not identify any roads as being used for berry picking.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Jun 08, 2014 8:52 am 
509 wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
...........But there is more than just remenbering road numbers, it seems like I also need an understanding of the various regulations which govern our network of USFS roads, as well as all the other land managers involved in our network of access roads. I have learned stuff over the years, but the more I learn the more I realize the huge bureaucratic mess of regs I have no hope of ever comprehending. It certainly doesn't help that so much of these regs are couched in specialized technical terms and a mamoth list of acronyms and abbreviations. This brings me to the point of trying to educate myself about these issues. Where do I get information? Where do I start? I learn a lot from well informed people here. But frankly, sometimes the info here can also be wrong or at the very least slanted. Wading through government PDFs is an exhausting task................
As somebody that spent a considerable amount of time reading public comments. Don't worry about regs, policies, etc unless you intend to sue the agency. Let the agency sort those out. Focus on YOUR ideas and solutions. When I read the comments on the Wenatchee Forest Plan we ended up with 54 comments on the Devil's Gulch Roadless Area. It was NOT on anybodies roadless list. That got our attention. And even one comment can make a difference. I was doing a study for the NPS on a conflict between water skiing and houseboating. ONE guy made a comment to me that the houseboaters should be required to camp at least five miles outside the launch area. And there was a handy powerline just at about that distance that everybody could recognize. That got into my report. Somebody read it. And 38 years later I was visiting the lake and noticed in the regulations for houseboaters they are still required to camp above the powerline. I would not worry about regulations, etc. Those can always be changed.
So, you are suggesting I just try to give a more general suggestion if I in fact have no particular idea which roads should be saved? I can do that. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Jun 08, 2014 8:55 am 
CHECKTHISOUT wrote:
90% decline because they cut all the trees or because of spotted owl/endangered species?
Logging is still ongoing on State Lands. Spotted Owl's/endangered species do not know the difference between State Lands or Federal Lands. Many humans don't seem to know either...how many Discover pass do ya see displayed at National Forest trail heads. Anyway, the State has plenty for trees still even though that have not stopped logging. The Forest Service still has plenty of trees. The point being, there is no reason the Forest Service can't increase logging to pay for road maintenance. It can be done without violating the endangered species act and it can be done without cutting any additional old growth.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential