Forum Index > Trail Talk > Doelle Lakes to Frosty pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
denisseattle
Cool Trails

denisseattle
Cool Trails
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 9:05 am 
August 2017 update: The eastern-most mile of this "unmaintained trail" is gone. It probably never was where the old quad maps show it leaving lower Doelle Lake via Doughgod Creek and crossing the meadow. The brush is head high and the way is steep and bouldery. You're on your own traveling cross country between the east side of the meadow and the outlet of the lower Doelle Lake. The next mile eastbound is good tread to the divide. At Doelle Lakes I met two hikers coming from North Bend and going to Leavenworth "for a beer." They took off eastbound into the meadow and I didn't see them again, so I assume they successfully traversed this ridge and reached Frosty Pass.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cartman

cartman
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 1:36 pm 
Here's what I saw 8 yrs ago when I went from above Doelle Lake to near Frosty Pass: Trip

Distel32

Distel32
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 9:29 am 
denisseattle wrote:
August 2017 update: The eastern-most mile of this "unmaintained trail" is gone. It probably never was where the old quad maps show it leaving lower Doelle Lake via Doughgod Creek and crossing the meadow. The brush is head high and the way is steep and bouldery. You're on your own traveling cross country between the east side of the meadow and the outlet of the lower Doelle Lake.
Eh? It was all there in 2015 save for a couple hundred yards through that meadow. No steep or bouldery issues? Report with pics.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 9:42 am 
When I did it in 2014 (see TR above) I was amazed at how good the trail was considering it has been abandoned by the FS about 20 years earlier. Crossing that grassy meadow east of Bull's Tooth was a typical meadow that needs new tracks through high grass every year or so but I found a follow-able path without much effort.

Damian

Damian
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 10:38 am 
Did it last year. Heading towards Frosty, the trail picks up at the trees to the L of the meadow well before you encounter the creek. Pretty easy to find. IF you reach the creek, follow the edge of the trees back and you'll spot it. GranolaGirl and I actually lost the trail about a half mile before Frosty which surprised me. So did another party after us. Found it again but something was going on in that area. Anybody else had this issue? Have done this route a few times. Not bad, but study it thoroughly ahead.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 11:12 am 
Damian wrote:
GranolaGirl and I actually lost the trail about a half mile before Frosty which surprised me. So did another party after us. Found it again but something was going on in that area. Anybody else had this issue?
There is a vertical separation in the trail at the horse camp/basin before you reach frosty. You can see it on the map posted in the first page of this thread. Going from frosty to the lakes you are at a higher elevation and can see where the trail continues below you up ahead. Coming from the lakes I can see how easy it would be to miss the trail at the higher elevation.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Aug 24, 2017 2:19 pm 
We did it W-to-E a couple weeks ago. Except for a few blowdowns the trail is in quite good shape from the big flat meadow E of Doelle Lakes to a 1 km or so NW of Frosty Pass, where the trail appears to have been obliterated by several slides and growing vegetation. We tried to locate it for awhile but gave up and went cross country to Frosty Pass, which wasn't too bad.

Damian

Damian
PostSat Sep 21, 2019 11:01 pm 
I hiked the unmaintained route from Doelle Lks to Frosty Pass this past week with the sole purpose of connecting the disconnected trail segments. With a bit of Google Earth research and a GPS I was able to find the problem. Looks like the trail used to follow a short section upstream along a creek bed for less than a quarter mile. That part disappeared with no trace a few years ago. I flagged it and added a few carnes to hopefully re-establish it. Another tradidionally difficult part of this route can be picking up the trail on the other side of the grassy meadow below Doelle lakes. The two ends are also now flagged and easy to spot. This particular trail can use some use. It has long been a favorite of mine and stays afloat by the minimal use it gets. I highly recommend it. Especially now, the colors will knock your socks off. Hopefully people will leave the few flags and carnes alone. They will save much confusion and brush bashing.

Downhill

Downhill
PostSun Sep 22, 2019 12:54 pm 
Thanks for the update and recon Damien. I'll go give it a whirl, do my part to keep it current. I want to catch a few more fish before they go to sleep for the season.

Damian

Damian
PostSun Sep 22, 2019 2:19 pm 
Thanks Downhill. Pls let us know how it goes. (And PM me if the fishing is good smile.gif

Gil

Gil
PostMon Sep 23, 2019 6:00 am 
While you're up there, throw some plastic candy wrappers on the bushes to help mark the route, too.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Sep 23, 2019 3:25 pm 
The problem is that at the east end of the lower Doelle Lake, there is a maze of social trails that connect the camps to the main route. I completely lost the trail and had to find it somewhere below, as mentioned in the thread. It sounds like Damian figured out what happened and fixed it!

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Damian

Damian
PostMon Sep 23, 2019 6:42 pm 
Actually Sculpin I didn't touch the maze of social trails near lwr Doelle. A trail sign there would reduce some impact for sure. If one remembers to take the down route exactly before the upper Doelle drainage creek, and then the same but after crossing the lwr Doelle outlet its free sailing to the meadow below.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Sep 24, 2019 11:02 am 
I did this route half-way July. Route finding was pretty easy (except messy going up the creek as Damian mentioned). Not hard, just some bush to deal with. I sprained my ankle pretty seriously on the traverse south below Pt 6125, about as far as you can be from a trailhead on this route. I could still walk, so decided to walk the shortest way back. It was suffering, but it's evidence that the route is doable even if incapacitated! Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bravenboer/albums/72157709618529912/

Downhill

Downhill
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 4:43 pm 
Thanks for all the intel and awesome pix mbravenboer. I know the weather forecast sucks for the next week but I'm bore from not getting out. I might just head up the "Old Frosty Creek" trail, to the pass and over to the Doelles - bootpack some of these old treads. Even if it means getting wet and cold, it'll beat being indoors.