Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Which decade was the best decade for fashion?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Which decade was the best decade for fashion?
1920's
24%
 24%  [ 9 ]
1930's
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
1940's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1950's
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
1960's
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
1970's
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
1980's
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
1990's
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
2000's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The present decade
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I say all is decadence
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
You did not list my option
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 37

touron

touron
PostWed Jun 11, 2014 9:28 pm 
According to this article, the 1990's was the worst, but which was the best decade?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 11, 2014 9:44 pm 
I gotta go with the 70's, man.... when else could I have gotten away with those beautiful canary yellow pinwale corduroy bell-bottoms with the two-inch cuffs, the navy blue patent leather belt, the black patent leather pumps with the four-inch heels, the black cotton chiffon cowboy shirt (with real mother-of-pearl snaps!) with little bumblebees printed all over, and the powder blue pinwale corduroy jacket with the beautiful floral embroidery all over the yoke? (I won't take up any more space talking about the beads, feathers, and scarves.) smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
touron

touron
PostThu Jun 12, 2014 7:17 am 
I double dare you to wear that getup on a hike up Mt. Si. The seeds planted in the 70's blossomed in the 80'.s

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 12, 2014 11:22 am 
hey, I got more than enough hoots and catcalls walking up Broadway to Bluebeard's. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jun 12, 2014 11:56 am 
touron wrote:
According to this article, the 1990's was the worst, but which was the best decade?
How was the 90's worse than the 70's or 80's?

contour5

contour5
PostThu Jun 12, 2014 4:14 pm 
70s was a freer time. I'm actually in this video:

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Jun 12, 2014 6:01 pm 
The early 1860's are my favorite, not just because I'm a Civil War buff, but because that was probably the one time when large hips on women were in style! Ever since, we gals have been trying, not always successfully, to slim down!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 12, 2014 6:44 pm 
and let's not forget those stylish "cheek plumpers"! you may be onto something! and believe it or not, they're an item for which there exists no Wikipedia page! somebody get to it! (Mary Todd Lincoln wore them.)

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSun Jun 15, 2014 6:52 pm 
This is not something that can be applied to time so much as to culture and location. People who have always been on the cutting edge of style have always looked like idiots in my opinion. So it's never a matter of which is best, but which is worst. Take for example a guy I saw today with the sagging sweatpants. This isn't something that he has come up with on his own, but something that has been passed on to him by some moronic cultural icon who somehow inspired people to give him money for simply being "cool" somehow. Never mind the fact that only an imbecile would wear his pants in such an impractical way. I think it is that way with many styles.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 15, 2014 7:45 pm 
Nothing later than the 50's is worth a DAMN! We lost so much of our social consciousness about attire, kindness, basic manners. There is very little in the way of pleasantness, or kindness between strangers these days. When Ronald Reagan was president, leader of the free world he used to regularly hold doors open for people. He was always saying hello, I beg your pardon, thank you, God Bless you etc etc. Wanna guess whether any presidents do those kinds of things these days? It was a reflection of the era he was born into. Unfortunately so is todays president!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
contour5

contour5
PostSun Jun 15, 2014 9:52 pm 
Quote:
When Ronald Reagan was president, leader of the free world he used to regularly hold doors open for people. He was always saying hello, I beg your pardon, thank you, God Bless you etc etc. Wanna guess whether any presidents do those kinds of things these days? It was a reflection of the era he was born into. Unfortunately so is todays president!
Meh. I'm not biting. I could offer you a rebuttal, BPJ, but it wouldn't be pretty, and you wouldn't like it. The post wasn't meant to be a political debate. I'll just add that in about 1974 I bought a silver and black paisley velour sports jacket from Arabesque on the Ave. That; along with elephant-sized flared trousers and mammoth, clown-toed platform shoes just totally knocked the hippie wimmens right out of their socks. If they happened to be wearing socks. I still hold doors open for people, regardless of gender, age, race, preferences or whatever...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 16, 2014 3:45 am 
Socrates wrote:
What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"
My view is that in each generation it is essential that youth adopts fashion and musical tastes that disgust their parents. Boomers will have are hard time accepting this, preferring to believe that their generation is unique ( as all generations like to believe)

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jun 16, 2014 9:55 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
My view is that in each generation it is essential that youth adopts fashion and musical tastes that disgust their parents.
true, but that's only been the case for about the last century. prior to WWI younger people pretty much went along with the status quo. but weird pants and hair styles for young men are nothing new. consider the codpieces of the 14th century.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 16, 2014 12:38 pm 
Ski wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
My view is that in each generation it is essential that youth adopts fashion and musical tastes that disgust their parents.
true, but that's only been the case for about the last century. prior to WWI younger people pretty much went along with the status quo. but weird pants and hair styles for young men are nothing new. consider the codpieces of the 14th century.
IDK -- the last time I checked Socrates pre-dates WWI by "a couple years"

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jun 16, 2014 2:36 pm 
my comment above was in regard to fashion (and hair styles.)