Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Which decade was the best decade for fashion?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Which decade was the best decade for fashion?
1920's
24%
 24%  [ 9 ]
1930's
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
1940's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1950's
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
1960's
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
1970's
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
1980's
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
1990's
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
2000's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The present decade
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I say all is decadence
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
You did not list my option
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 37

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 17, 2014 12:25 am 
Ski wrote:
my comment above was in regard to fashion (and hair styles.)
I defer to your greater knowledge of fashion trends during the enlightenment, the middle ages, the roman empire, Greek history and prehistory.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jun 17, 2014 12:37 am 
"dressers" are a fairly new thing historically. most people only owned one set of clothes until fairly recently in historical terms. "fashion" was something that was pretty much exclusive to the elite of society, and "fashion trends" didn't really come into being until fairly late in the game- the codpieces of the 14th century an early example. Socrates' time is pretty far back. clothing was pretty simple then, unless you were royalty. most "commoners" pretty much wore the same stuff (region by region) in western cultures well through the dark ages.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

PostTue Jun 17, 2014 6:24 pm 
The best fashion decade was the 1930's. When I was in college in the late 60's we had a mid 20's librarian in our professional school. Everybody feared her. She wore 1930's fashions. So everybody assumed she was rather "conservative" and shied away from her. One day I started a conversation with her.....and found out she was crazy as a loon. Given that this was Berkeley in 1970 that is rather high praise. I asked her about her clothes.....and she said "My mother was a librarian in the 1930's so after she died I just started wearing her clothes. It was cheaper than buying my own clothes for work." Don't judge people by their clothes....you really miss the opportunity to meet some really crazy people.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Jun 17, 2014 8:05 pm 
Touron, since the 20's are winning, why were you not at the silent movie at the Paramount last night? What an opportunity to check it out... better be there next Monday night!

touron

touron
PostTue Jun 17, 2014 8:19 pm 
Riverside, I thought about going to the movie, but I wasn't sure what to wear. I knew that I probably shouldn't wear something to loud, especially for a silent film. What movie did you see? Are they showing talkies too, or just silent films?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.