Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > A Photo In Need Of Captions… There must be a joke in there
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostSat Jun 14, 2014 10:35 am 
wolffie wrote:
Seems to me that these industrial frefab conrete deluxe red-carpet sh1tters are often a much heavier impact than the old wooden lidded box back in the trees. They're not going to dissolve into nothing when our civilzation collapses.
You would be amazed at how many times the Forest Service is asked to put a table next to the outhouse. Primarily, by families with large number of kids!! After having a kid, it took much more to gross me out than a table next to the outhouse. I laughed the first time someone ask for a table next to the outhouse and then realized that they were serious. The National Forests belong to the public. They want a table next to the outhouse. Put a table next to the outhouse!! On the subject of the greatest American engineering achievement of the late 20th century......the SST toilet. Relatively cheap, quick and easy to install, mostly vandal proof, easy to clean and of course......sweet smelling. More on the toilets here: Sweet Smelling Toilets (SST) BTW...at every recreation management meeting the topic usually drifts to management of toilets....usually during dinner. Somebody really needs to write a book about jokes concerning outhouses on public land.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSun Jun 15, 2014 8:41 am 
Fly (the bug): "Forget this sh##, I'm going for that potato salad over there!" Picnicker: "Where are all these damned flies coming from?"

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Jun 16, 2014 9:06 am 
OK, where is a similarly located picnic table at a trailhead low enough to be melted-out and frequented on April 1, so I can set it with linen tablecloth, china plates, fine silverware, etc.? A vision of a maitre d' in spotless starched ranger's uniform standing stiffly at attention beside the table with napkin draped over his forearm is barely eluding me. Somehow, I think the pile of plastic-bagged dogsh!t piled beside the outhouse door is going to taint the ambience. Those people ruin everything.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 17, 2014 9:07 am 
hiker1 wrote:
So Rachel Lake ... all have the same situation. All are in the MBSNF.
Minor point, but the Rachel Lake TH is in Wenatchee national forest. The addition of the table is almost certainly to allow,enforcement of NWFP requirements. Or it could just be a manifestation of that old joke. A mechanical engineer, an electrical engineer and a civil engineer we discussing what kind of engineer God is, The ME,said look at the skeleton, god must be a ME. The,EE said look at the nervous system, god must be an EE. The CE said, god must a CE, who else would put the sewage disposal system right next to the recreational zone!

mgd

mgd
PostTue Jun 17, 2014 9:43 pm 
If they relocated the table just a few feet, you would be sheltered from storms.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Jun 18, 2014 6:14 am 
That's a crappy place for a picnic.

Washakie

Washakie
PostWed Jun 18, 2014 7:45 am 
"You would be amazed at how many times the Forest Service is asked to put a table next to the outhouse" There are probably a few that asked to place the table inside the outhouse.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie

PostThu Jun 19, 2014 12:42 am 
1k wrote:
Saw this as I departed Rachel Lake TH on Tuesday.
OutHousePicnic
1 label
OutHousePicnic
Got me wondering who would want to picnic whispering distance from an outhouse? Which lead me to ponder who would choose that location to place a table? A beaver fever support group? Just seems a bit odd.
Ski - maybe it was intended to be used as a diaper-changing table but they couldn't figure out how to fit it through the door. coldrain108 - the flies...shorter travel time between food sources. Wollfie - Yes! A caption contest! Where is The Angry Hiker? I will send a missive to Sir Angry asking for his insight and wit. There's nothing that says the picnic table can't be on the outhouse roof. l'Emmerdeur Hmmm.... A table with a view? Indoor and outdoor seating? "Would you prefer the dining room or the deck?" Fourteen410 - I would die happy if I saw this. Tigerman - Sort of like penthouse dining... cairn builder - When taco bell makes you run for the border, it will be a short run. 509 - More on the toilets here: Sweet Smelling Toilets (SST) One link I will leave to the professionals. ;-) Wolfie - Those people ruin everything - Except for your writing. …on April 1, so I can set it with linen tablecloth, china plates, fine silverware, etc.? Formal indeed. No detail too small. Why not? That might be just the sort of parody to get noticed. Voice overs, champagne glasses, trendy gear, expensive cars opening doors to toy poodle dogs. That last group should really obey the leash laws! A vision of a maitre d' in spotless starched ranger's uniform standing stiffly at attention beside the table with napkin draped over his forearm is barely eluding me. Nice touch. The maître-de would, of course, retire to his nearby serving quarters in order to properly present the repast, on engraved sliver trays, after a hopefully short delay in his staging room. RandyHike - Or it could just be a manifestation of that old joke. A mechanical engineer, an electrical engineer and a civil engineer we discussing what kind of engineer God is, The ME,said look at the skeleton, god must be a ME. The,EE said look at the nervous system, god must be an EE. The CE said, god must a CE, who else would put the sewage disposal system right next to the recreational zone MGD - If they relocated the table just a few feet, you would be sheltered from storms. Hail Mary, please don’t hail. Daryl - That's a crappy place for a picnic. No s**t! Washakie – Thread Quote >>"You would be amazed at how many times the Forest Service is asked to put a table next to the outhouse" << There are probably a few that asked to place the table inside the outhouse. I think I will let the professionals deal with that one too! Someone embedded a caption in the photo but I don’t know if the watermark shows on the image you see. Late night saloon fun so far. Thanks! 1k

Life is short, hike hard...
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 8:32 am 
Washakie wrote:
"You would be amazed at how many times the Forest Service is asked to put a table next to the outhouse" There are probably a few that asked to place the table inside the outhouse.
I think they call those Indian Restaurants. This will come in real handy if someone brings tikka masala to the picnic.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 4:51 pm 
That's not an outhouse, it's a chili shack.

KBenzar

KBenzar
PostFri Jun 20, 2014 12:52 pm 
Quote:
After a federal court ruling, a trailhead has to include a bathroom, picnic table and garbage (where is the garbage can?) in order to charge a parking fee.
What the court found that the law requires is actually that you can't ever be charged a parking fee on a National Forest. You can be charged a fee to use "amenities" as long as certain minimum facilities are provided, which include a picnic table, toilet, trash container, interpretive signage, and security services (whatever those are). But if all you do is park and go hiking without using the "amenities" then you don't have to display a pass or pay a fee. You can read the ruling at our website So far the FS Pacific NW Region is ignoring the court. They do so at their peril.