Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Ways to make Soccer more popular with Americans...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostFri Jun 27, 2014 4:25 pm 
Awww AH, Things ain't that easy. How come the last 4 minutes of a football game can take half an hour with instant replay review, commercial timeouts, team timeouts, show the cheerleaders time outs, beer piss time out, and the two minute warning when you're supposed to fetch beer and piss beer all at the same time? Come on! At least soccer fans have to budget their time(and bladder) more. Tom

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Jun 27, 2014 6:29 pm 
I think Tom has totally missed the point as to why the USA - Germany game was interesting. It was all about the slow build up of tension pending the potential rematch between Germany and Algeria. In 1982, Austria and Germany reached an agreement whereby Germany would win 1-0. This was the only score which would allow both teams to advance at the expense of Algeria which had earlier beat Germany in an upset. In Algeria they called this maneuver "the anschluss". After 90 minutes of anxious play, we were one step closer to this match for the ages. For a while, later in the afternoon, Algeria was trailing Russia 1-0 and it looked like the match was not going to happen. But that raised the possibility of a German Russian knockout match. Remember WWII? But eventually, the Algerians scored and all they needed to do was kick the ball out of bounds and roll around on ground to hang on for a 1-1 tie to make the rematch a reality. The German coach has called the Algerians and uncomfortable opponent! The match also provided some light hearted entertainment. I really got a good laugh when a hulking Algerian was carried off on a stretcher by six men after a Russian brushed against him. Their goalie also killed a few minutes writhing on the ground after a Russian touched him as well. It was all part of the almost inevitable demise of the Russians once they allowed the game to be tied at 1-1. Eventually, however, they'll get their chance for a rematch and that won't be a laughing matter until, of course, one of the teams gets a 1-0 lead. We also have the fact that Miraslov Klose of Germany with 15 lifetime goals is tied with Ronaldo for the record of most lifetime goals scored in World Cup games. At any moment, a ball may bounce off his foot or head and he will become one of the most celebrated men in Germany and the world. When Germany is playing you don't want to turn away for a minute or you may miss this historic goal. The suspense is even higher now because this will be his last tournament. Now that Germany is in the knockout round his chance for glory could be over in a flash. And we haven't even discussed the drama of one of Germany's all-time great soccer players having to lead his team against his own country with whom he won the World Cup as a player. Which reminds me that one of Germany's other soccer greats was recently temporarily banned by FIFA for failing to submit to ethics questions in English.... In soccer there is always something happening, or at least the possibility that something might happen. The Algerians have been waiting a long time for this rematch. Likewise, the Germans, like salmon attempting to return to the place of their birth to fulfill their destiny, would enjoy nothing more than to slip by another bear without too much excitement. It's not about the journey, it's the destination. At the same time, since there will always be a rematch, it's not really about the destination, but the journey.

MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostFri Jun 27, 2014 10:59 pm 
Gil wrote:
And last time I checked, the only thing you needed to play American football was, well, a football.
Then the last time you checked must have been the 19th century. You need hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of armor for all twenty-two people on the field. Kinda puts the game out of reach for a lot of people. Sure, you can toss around a football with a few friends in a city park. But that is not football. If you've ever actually played real football, you'd understand the enormous gulf between the two.

lostintheforest

lostintheforest
PostSat Jun 28, 2014 3:51 pm 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
The only thing more boring than soccer is listening to people trying to convince me that it isn't boring. You never need anyone to explain why American football is exciting. It just is.
Name any sport and a healthy group of people will find it boring. I personally get pretty bored of listening to people talk about how awesome the Seahawks are or moaning about not having a NBA team in Seattle.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 1:57 pm 
Hmm...a scoreless tie in regulation for the world championship. That's not boring, right?

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 3:20 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Hmm...a scoreless tie in regulation for the world championship. That's not boring, right?
not for a second.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
AR

AR
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 5:30 pm 
I'm not sure where to even start on this one. Soccer guys seem to be real bitchy about everything. I don't understand that. The US is generally not digging the crying by the pussy teams and losers. No offence.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 5:49 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
not for a second.
Absolutely! Unlike the Argentina-Netherlands semifinal, most of the play was in the opponent's half. I did find the extra time a bit dull, since both teams looked really tired and seemed to be going through the motions...but then Germany scored! eek.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 5:57 pm 
I like soccer because it is just like hockey except for ice, pucks, sticks, fights, pads, skates, periods, and gloves. wink.gif Unfortunately, I still have a cultural affinity for American Football. hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
trestle

trestle
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 8:02 pm 
Hey Cascade Climber, the reference you're looking for is Jimmy Dugan, the manager in "A League of Their Own." Played by Tom Hanks, my favorite line of the movie is also from him. "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great."

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode