Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Hangin' out in the left lane
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 4:15 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Nope. Subsection (1) and all sub-subsections apply to all "roadways." "Roadway" has a broad definition and deems a divided highway as comprised of two "roadways" going in opposite directions.
Wouldn't one side of a freeway be a one-way street under the definition? I personally almost always drive in the left lane in the metro area when I'm not in the HOV lane. I'm generally going faster that the bulk traffic flow and when I see someone gaining on me in my rear view mirror, I always give way and pull into the next lane for that guy that really wants to drive 80. My gripe is the drivers that slow down to 40 in the HOV lane just because the rest of the lanes are almost stopped.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
cairn builder

cairn builder
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 10:18 pm 
A distracted driver recently killed a guy on a bike in a busy intersection and got off with a $125 fine because the law didn't allow for jail for killing somebody with a car when you're not on drugs. I'm glad the legislature has so much time and energy to perfect left lane camping laws.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jun 20, 2014 7:42 am 
Schroder wrote:
Wouldn't one side of a freeway be a one-way street under the definition?
No. Note that the definition of "roadway" under RCW 46.04.500 refers to a "portion of a highway" and acknowledges that some highways "include[ ] two or more separated roadways." This provision unambiguously includes, e.g., the westbound lanes of I-5 within the definition of "roadway." Also note that RCW 46.61.100(d) refers to a "street or highway restricted to one-way traffic," and makes no mention of a "roadway." ("Highway" is defined at RCW 46.04.197.)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jun 20, 2014 10:06 am 
cairn builder wrote:
A distracted driver recently killed a guy on a bike in a busy intersection and got off with a $125 fine because the law didn't allow for jail for killing somebody with a car when you're not on drugs. I'm glad the legislature has so much time and energy to perfect left lane camping laws.
I'm certain that the Verizon, ATT, etc all have lobbyists working hard to ensure that more severe penalties aren't attached to traffic collisions when cell phone records show phone usage (voice or text) in the minutes leading up to the collision. If we really wan't to stop people from texting and driving (or yakking and driving) penalties should also include a provision for suspending or revoking their cell phone account and placing them on a "do not sell to list" after any sort of distracted driving incident. In yurp they have a simple solution for left lane slow pokes -- it's call a "light horn" -- super high intensity high beams (like a camera flash) that flash repeatedly as you apporoach.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 8:46 pm 
So long as you are doing the speed limit, what's the big deal. Unless you have flashing lights and a siren, you have no need to pass anyone who is doing the speed limit, whether that person is in the left lane or any other.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 8:59 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
In yurp they have a simple solution for left lane slow pokes -- it's call a "light horn" -- super high intensity high beams (like a camera flash) that flash repeatedly as you apporoach.
Here they call that aggressive driving, and it's a ticketable offense.
alpendave wrote:
So long as you are doing the speed limit, what's the big deal. Unless you have flashing lights and a siren, you have no need to pass anyone who is doing the speed limit, whether that person is in the left lane or any other.
A true Washingtonian. 'I pay my taxes, and I'll drive in any damn lane I want to.'

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 9:26 pm 
Quote:
super high intensity high beams (like a camera flash) that flash repeatedly as you apporoach.
might want to check with WSP on that one before you order it online with that cell-phone jammer. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 10:21 pm 
alpendave wrote:
So why not obey *all* the laws and stay out of the left lane if you're not passing then? Do you feel the need to regulate the behavior of others, and does this need justify picking and choosing which laws you'll obey?

Bogart

Bogart
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 11:50 pm 
BigSteve - Agree with your points on roadways, and the first section of 46.61.100... However, section (4) of that statute defines when an infraction occurs and that requires traffic to be impeded. So, while I agree that lane camping violates social norms, demonstrates disregard for others, etc. it does appear that you would not get a ticket for driving in the left lane when nobody was 'impeded.' Where am I running off the tracks here?

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 9:15 am 
I have to confess, my previous comment was purely in jest. I've been stuck behind enough people in the left lane to know how aggravating it is.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 11:19 am 
I find that posting reminders of this nature to NWH, generally speaking, has a huge influence on the behavior of the general population. Good post.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 12:02 pm 
Bogart wrote:
However, section (4) of that statute defines when an infraction occurs and that requires traffic to be impeded. So, while I agree that lane camping violates social norms, demonstrates disregard for others, etc. it does appear that you would not get a ticket for driving in the left lane when nobody was 'impeded.'
Under RCW 46.63.020, any "failure to perform any act required" under RCW Title 46 is "designated as a traffic infraction." The language in subsection (4) if thus redundant.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 12:03 pm 
Layback wrote:
I find that posting reminders of this nature to NWH, generally speaking, has a huge influence on the behavior of the general population. Good post.
I assume that was meant to be sarcastic? (why hasn't anyone come up with a sarcasm emoticon?) Actually, I notice a large percentage of left lane blockers have trail pass tags or other indications of being hiker vehicles..... rant.gif wink.gif By the way, slow driving in the fast lane is still "aggressive driving". I don't think you have to be going fast to be an aggressive driver, IMHO.

friluftsliv
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 12:27 pm 
Hanging out in the left lane is sometimes passive aggressive behavior but more often a clueless person just being clueless. It's a waste of time to try to influence a profoundly clueless person.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 12:43 pm 
Dave Workman, in another thread wrote:
Some people are world class stupid and you can't fix that

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."