Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Hangin' out in the left lane
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jun 17, 2014 9:09 pm 
Schroder wrote:
You are driving on the right half of a roadway when you're on the freeway, at least I hope you are.
Again, read the statute in its entirety:
Quote:
RCW 46.61.100 Keep right except when passing, etc.
Also see RCW 46.04.500:
Quote:
"Roadway" means that portion of a highway improved, designed, or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the sidewalk or shoulder even though such sidewalk or shoulder is used by persons riding bicycles. In the event a highway includes two or more separated roadways, the term "roadway" shall refer to any such roadway separately but shall not refer to all such roadways collectively.
[emphasis supplied]

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 18, 2014 12:08 am 
The left lane campers were out en masse late last night on 405. For miles at a time passing absolutely nobody. Sometimes I was able to pass them on the right, sometimes there wasn't any option but to wait it out. I normally wouldn't have gone that way but somewhere north of Federal Way there was a reader board warning of a 3 mile backup on I-5 in Seattle, I decided to skip that action.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostWed Jun 18, 2014 12:43 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
I've driven in Tel Aviv, all US drive are courteous, considerate and careful in comparison. Even Massholes and NYC taxi drivers.
up.gif smile.gif Did you drive in Jerusalem? specially in Arab areas? But then, by comparison, they are best drivers compared to drivers in Cairo, Egypt, that where it is scary to drive! They have special horn sounds system, and don't really take "line driving" too literally... eek.gif

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jun 18, 2014 8:19 am 
BigSteve wrote:
"Roadway" means that portion of a highway improved, designed, or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the sidewalk or shoulder even though such sidewalk or shoulder is used by persons riding bicycles. In the event a highway includes two or more separated roadways, the term "roadway" shall refer to any such roadway separately but shall not refer to all such roadways collectively.
Who am I to argue law with a lawyer, but my interpretation of English is that Section 1 applies to roads with opposing traffic: (a) passing by entering opposing lanes of traffic; (b) is for passing obstacles and construction by entering opposing lanes; (c) is for 2-lane roads with passing lanes; (d) obviously a one-way street; (e) passing a traffic incident, again in opposing lanes. None of this appears to apply to a freeway. Even referring to the "right half" implies this. Sections (3) and (4) are the only ones specifically addressing multilane, limited access highways. This law is for impeding traffic in the left lane - driving slower than the bulk of the traffic flow. If it were otherwise, that means every vehicle in the left lane in the morning gridlock on I-5 into Seattle is violating the law.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jun 18, 2014 10:17 am 
Nope. Subsection (1) and all sub-subsections apply to all "roadways." "Roadway" has a broad definition and deems a divided highway as comprised of two "roadways" going in opposite directions. Pretty simple statutory interpretation, although I'm not surprised that a native WAian is inclined to read the statute as permitting the WA custom of driving in the left lane at all times. tongue.gif It's not unusual that a single act might violate several statutory provisions.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 18, 2014 5:57 pm 
SergioNapelo wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
I've driven in Tel Aviv, all US drive are courteous, considerate and careful in comparison. Even Massholes and NYC taxi drivers.
up.gif smile.gif Did you drive in Jerusalem? specially in Arab areas? But then, by comparison, they are best drivers compared to drivers in Cairo, Egypt, that where it is scary to drive! They have special horn sounds system, and don't really take "line driving" too literally... eek.gif
Didn't drive in Jerusalem, used taxis there. Didn't travel in the post 1967 areas of the west bank -- if nothing else getting through the check points would chew up a lot of time.

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostWed Jun 18, 2014 6:03 pm 
As it turns out....the right lane is the new fast lane.

wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Jun 18, 2014 10:39 pm 
seattlenativemike wrote:
the right lane is the new fast lane.
Not a joke. I've long found it useful to drive in the right-hand lane; I can often get more free space around and in front of me there. The derps are in the center lane. You will get Justice in the Afterlife. There is a special room in Hell for them, and I get to direct the banjo-and-accordion orchestra, which will never stop playing, and never be quite in tune. I can hardly wait.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jun 18, 2014 11:10 pm 
You'd better be careful with that gloating, wolffie, or you may end up in the room with the nonstop leaf blower orchestra! They will be well-tuned, and playing marches - maybe even national anthems! naughty.gif But, sadly, you are correct about the right lane in many spots.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 2:05 am 
seattlenativemike wrote:
As it turns out....the right lane is the new fast lane.
Finally, someone who gets it! chickenleg.gif Common sense dictates that traveling in the left lane is perfectly fine as long as you are NOT impeding traffic or posing a safety hazard. For me common sense trumps the law..."just because something is legal does not make it right".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 8:21 am 
Sounds good on paper, but 99% of people who drive in the left lane while not passing are impeding traffic. That's why the law is what it is. Too bad it's not enforced in this state.

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 1:19 pm 
its pathetic but I cant count how many times I've been sailing along in the right lane and I look over to see several cars climbing up the butt of some minivan or Buick doing 50 with oblivion. I get it that our largest north south freeway gets down to two lanes at certain points, also pathetic, and this renders left lane right lane arguments nonsensical, but I also know that certain people like to hang out in the left lane as their own personal act of "policing" the speeders. These people typically couldn't get into student government and the homeowners association is locked up, so now they crave power, however minute.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 2:48 pm 
I hear ya, SNmike. When I first moved to the PNW 30+ years ago I figured that all left lane campers were control freaks. But now I think that most of them just never learned traffic flow basics.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 3:49 pm 
Schroder wrote:
You are driving on the right half of a roadway when you're on the freeway, at least I hope you are.
Read RCW 46.61.100(2) re multi-lane highways. It says to keep right with four exceptions.
Quote:
(2) Upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, except (a) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (b) when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow, (c) when moving left to allow traffic to merge, or (d) when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted. On any such roadway, a vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds shall be driven only in the right-hand lane except under the conditions enumerated in (a) through (d) of this subsection.
I agree that the right lane will get you to your destination faster than this "fast lane" or the center lane (e.g. I-90 from Bellevue Way across Mercer Island if traffic is heavy).

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 3:56 pm 
When I was driving to a hike on one recent morning, I encountered a left lane camper on I-5. He initiated his right turn signal, indicating that he'd be moving over. Then, after making eye contact with me in his rearview mirror, he turned off his blinker, stayed in the lane, and proceeded to continuously shoot his windshield wiper fluid back at me. I'd love to see what would happen if he tried that in California or New Jersey winksmile.gif