Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Hangin' out in the left lane
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
n16ht5

n16ht5
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 3:47 pm 
I find it ironic when I see the "endless(this) war" stickers next to the Obama stickers on cars... Usually the same ones going 58 in the left lane. Or the Guns N Coffee stickers on trucks even though Starbucks doesn't want people carrying. dizzy.gif What I see that blocks the most traffic are the drivers who merge over from an onramp going 15-20 under or drivers merging to an offramp and blocking every car for the previous mile to get over because they are paranoid they will miss their exit paranoid.gif or they waited till it was too late.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 3:56 pm 
^^ Many years ago, after watching new arrivals dart across multiple lanes of traffic because they just had to make that exit at the last minute, I finally saw someone who had high centered their corolla with a fine collection of stuffed animals on the back deck on the median between getting continuing on the 99 through the tunnel or getting off at the Denny Way exit. In other news... I used to view people tailgating me so close I cant see their headlights when I'm doing ten over as evidence of tangible evil. Now I realize that for some people its unconsciously their driving style...

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 5:32 pm 
Quote:
"...people tailgating me so close I cant see their headlights when I'm doing ten over..."
they just think they're still in LA... or maybe playing GTA.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
33teeth

33teeth
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 6:27 pm 
Ski wrote:
they just think they're still in LA
It's basically impossible not to drive that way in LA. Leave a car sized gap and someone will fill it.

Is that a kind of beer?
touron

touron
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 6:33 pm 
seattlenativemike wrote:
In other news... I used to view people tailgating me so close I cant see their headlights when I'm doing ten over as evidence of tangible evil. Now I realize that for some people its unconsciously their driving style...
I know someone who drives like that and I would agree with your comment on it being an unconscious style.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 6:46 pm 
most drivers never experience catastrophic brake failure (blown hose, caliper seal blowing out, master cylinder failure). have seen enough cars go through the fronts of buildings to have learned to trust brake systems almost as much as a loaded gun.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
ejain

ejain
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 7:19 pm 
33teeth wrote:
Leave a car sized gap and someone will fill it.
Ironically, not leaving gaps is a major factor in causing stop and go traffic...

Bogart

Bogart
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 8:22 pm 
Huh, thanks for the reply. I'd always assumed that (4) was a limiting statement.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Aug 10, 2015 4:05 pm 
Chico

Chico
PostMon Aug 10, 2015 4:35 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Another good reason to only use the left lane for "passing" http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Suspected-drunk-driver-arrested-for-speeding-134-mph-on-I-90-321281971.html
Well, for all that you could be in the right-hand lane and they can come up very fast and rear-end you. The key is to be observant! 4 am, drunk, clocked at 114 and going even faster when he had the flashing blue and red lights on his tail. Very lucky he didn't go off the pavement like the 18 yo in the mini cooper who went into the median in the same general area. Driving too fast for conditions was what her ticket said. I guess she wasn't experienced enough to keep it on the pavement.

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostTue Aug 11, 2015 8:27 am 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
ejain

ejain
PostTue Aug 11, 2015 2:32 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
Are there any (reasonably reliable) comparisons of road safety between US and foreign road networks? It would be interesting to see that foreign countries which implement a "go for it, get there by any means necessary" ruleset see lower rates of incidents.
The list of countries with the lowest number of deaths per vehicle (or miles driven) appears to be dominated by northern European countries, which I wouldn't characterize as having a "get there by any means" attitude. There are of course many confounding variables (car safety features, availability of public transport etc), and aggressive driving is just one of several factors in accidents. Also, there are large regional variations: most French people would have a hard time driving in Paris.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Aug 11, 2015 6:22 pm 
You should see how they drive in India. I went over there to help outsource American jobs once, and it was wild. Total chaos. And nothing like seeing 5 people on one motorcycle. For real. One of the guys from the Indian company who came to Seattle was amazed at our "lane discipline" on the highways here. Of course you have to have lanes to use them....

huron

huron
PostTue Aug 11, 2015 6:31 pm 
I've given up on expecting anyone to stay right. Particularly Subarus, Volvos and trucks with motorsports crap in the back. Now, I encourage everyone to stay left. Right lane is the passing lane. agree.gif

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostWed Aug 12, 2015 7:57 am 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.