Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Hangin' out in the left lane
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Gruenk
Weather Anomaly

Gruenk
Weather Anomaly
PostWed Aug 12, 2015 9:21 am 
ejain wrote:
The list of countries with the lowest number of deaths per vehicle (or miles driven) appears to be dominated by northern European countries, which I wouldn't characterize as having a "get there by any means" attitude.
I visited relatives in Sweden a while ago, and two of them operate driving schools in Sweden. We talked a great deal about traffic safety, and one of the stark differences was the cultural attitude and laws about drunk driving. They just don't. And if they do, the penalties are extreme. I'm not at all familiar with laws and attitudes in Norway, Finland, Denmark, etc., but I suspect similar cultural attitudes. That'd be an interesting data point to add to that wiki page...

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 12, 2015 11:10 am 
cousins from Norway say do not get behind the wheel of an automobile if you're tanked up.... major penalties for doing so.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Aug 31, 2015 9:56 am 
Don't climb with people who drive slow in the center lane.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
touron

touron
PostSat Oct 03, 2015 4:23 pm 
This article claims that "The Conestoga wagon began the custom of "driving" on the right-hand side of the road." However, it seems possible that the custom extends back to ancient Roman times and their gallivanting around the countryside in their chariots. mad.gif "Hey, stay on your own side of the road!" uhh.gif "Why? My taxes pay for both sides."

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Oct 03, 2015 6:29 pm 
There is archiealogical evidence that the romans drove on the left
Quote:
Archaeological evidence suggests it was common for the Romans to drive on the left side of the road. This was first discovered in 1998 where a Roman quarry in Swindon, England had grooves in the road going away from the quarry on the left side that were significantly deeper than those on the right, due to the added weight of the stone. It is not precisely known why they would have chosen this side, but it is probably similar to one of the main reasons this practice continued into the middle ages.

touron

touron
PostSat Oct 03, 2015 8:39 pm 
Interesting, RandyHiker. That makes me wonder if driving on the left spread from the Brits to the Romans. I wonder what side of the chariot the steering wheel was on? hmmm.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostTue Mar 15, 2016 11:12 pm 
Washington State Patrol will start left lane camper emphasis patrols tomorrow twirl.gif Prius drivers beware paranoid.gif

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Mar 16, 2016 9:21 am 
And don't be a jerk...if someone moves left to let another vehicle merge on to the freeway, let them back to the right...don't drive nose-to-nuts so they're stuck in the left lane.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
mike

mike
PostWed Mar 16, 2016 10:40 am 
I don't drive in the right lane for several reasons: -right lanes randomly exit without warning dumping you in sh##-holes like S Tacoma or Renton with no way to get back on. -kamikaze mergers -chuck holes and ruts deep enough to bottom out in. I don't drive in the left lane either. Actually I prefer one lane roads out in the sticks

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostWed Mar 16, 2016 12:13 pm 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Mar 17, 2016 1:06 am 
I have the pleasure of regularly commuting at around mid night. Yea apparently there is no speed limit after midnight. rolleyes.gif It finally happened last night and i've been expecting. Bozo the lane changing speeding moron rolled up behind a MARKED state patrol car (that was already doing 10+over the speed limit) flashed his head lights several times to pass. When the state patrol officer did not mover over to the right for the speeder...the speeder decided to pass the MARKED state patrol car in the left shoulder. shakehead.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostThu Mar 17, 2016 5:12 am 
I have to imagine there was a little nugget of happy inside to see one of these yahoos get it

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 17, 2016 7:36 am 
I was coming down the Mountain Loop one time. There was a car in front of me, and in front of him was a Rubicon Jeep Wrangler State patrol officer. We were doing the speed limit. The car in front of me exited and that left me behind the Stater. There was a Nissan Extera three cars back that really wanted to go faster. So, he decides to pass everyone, including Mr. Stater. He flys by the Stater at like 75! I just started laughing. The lights came on 10 seconds later. People, you MUST be aware of what's going on around you. LOL>

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
BlameTheDogz

BlameTheDogz
PostThu Mar 17, 2016 8:58 pm 
captain jack wrote:
Washington State Patrol will start left lane camper emphasis patrols tomorrow twirl.gif Prius drivers beware paranoid.gif
Today, I actually saw a bright electronic sign on Hwy 2 eastbound warning to get out of the left lane unless passing. Yay! Maybe I'll have to pass some of ya on the right less frequently, but judging by the journey today, unlikely wink.gif I once had a very unmarked policeman/car flash his lights as I was about to pass on the right, but before I fully committed. I politely waved, gave a sheepish grin, and fell back into line.

striving to stand like mountain yet flow like water, and make the dogs happy
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Mar 17, 2016 9:33 pm 
BlameTheDogz wrote:
I once had a very unmarked policeman/car flash his lights as I was about to pass on the right, but before I fully committed. I politely waved, gave a sheepish grin, and fell back into line.
What I find interesting, is he jumped on you trying to pass an illegal left lane lane hog, on the right, but he still did nothing about the car violating the keep right law. Sounds typical, sigh.... I will believe the new crackdown, when it starts to actually happen. Otherwise I am guessing the cops will just use it to harass people with no one behind them but cruising along in the fast lane, after getting tired of zig zagging around slow traffic. I have no problem with cars using the fast lane, if they stay aware of cars coming up behind and get out of the way. I have had a cop come up on me extremely fast and flashed his lights as I cruised in the fast lane just slightly over the limit on a sparse traffic section of Oregon freeway. I was already getting out of the lane anyway, as I always do, and it took a few moments to figure out what I was doing to upset him. Ironically, earlier I had been stuck behind a bunch of fast lane hogs that wouldn't budge, going well below the speed limit with a herd of cars behind them. No cop in sight then, of course.

friluftsliv