Forum Index > Trail Talk > Karen Sykes lost on Mt.Rainier?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 5:35 pm 
Judging by the update posted by Fourteen, we do know what happened. She was a great woman and a great hiker who simply passed doing what she loved. Nothing could make this less sad, but in a way this is a more satisfying explanation than other alternatives. Other than that, I'm not sure what there is to "learn" from this, hiking-wise. I suppose, if it's possible that a companion could have arranged for a quick rescue after a heart failure, that one could "learn" that you shouldn't hike solo, at least if you have heart disease. But that's just a personal decision that people are already well aware of, I would think. I'm personally not in the mood for another debate about solo hiking...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 5:48 pm 
Can[t imagine what the lesson would be either. People die in the mountains. We'll all miss her. She was such an inspiration. Hundreds of photos all over Facebook, and memories written.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 7:53 pm 
Some more photos of Karen in her element. She recommended a couple of hikes for me that I've always planned to do because she spoke so highly of them (Cispus Pass and Seven Lakes Basin). Now I'll hike them in her memory. Here's to you, Karen!
Watching the Polallie Ridge fire
Watching the Polallie Ridge fire
Karen and Snoqualmie Mtn
Karen and Snoqualmie Mtn
Tarn near Guye Peak
Tarn near Guye Peak
Ascending to Headlee Pass
Ascending to Headlee Pass
Short rest on the trail
Short rest on the trail
On top of Vesper Peak
On top of Vesper Peak
I was usually in her shadow...
I was usually in her shadow...

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 8:58 pm 
I think it would be great if people could stop speculating about the exact circumstances and nature of Karen's passing. I believe the NPS and SAR might have addtional details that could be released in a incident report at the approriate time that might provide useful information for avoiding repeating a similar mishap.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 9:09 pm 
Now is not the time to build a narrative based on very little information or engage in speculative debates. People are mourning here and remembering a lost friend.

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 9:09 pm 
I will want to pay my respects. If anyone knows of the arrangements, I would really like to know. Thank you.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 9:38 pm 
I meant that the accident book that comes out has details not availble here...or that her daughter may provide some insights...not speculating just upset we lost one that meant so much to all here... thanks for posting all the great photos of her in the outdoors!! up.gif

wolfwoman

wolfwoman
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 9:56 pm 
I think it's natural for people to want to understand a tragedy like this. Not to look for blame, but a reason. I don't believe for an instant that this happened because she was lost or that she was unprepared. That's what's so concerning. I'm not as surprised when other folks meet this end, but Karen? Someone so competent and prepared. There has to be some other reason than hypothermia. She was too experienced and aware to let that happen. I just haunts me.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 10:09 pm 
wolfwoman wrote:
I think it's natural for people to want to understand a tragedy like this. Not to look for blame, but a reason. I don't believe for an instant that this happened because she was lost or that she was unprepared. That's what's so concerning. I'm not as surprised when other folks meet this end, but Karen? Someone so competent and prepared. There has to be some other reason than hypothermia. She was too experienced and aware to let that happen. I just haunts me.
When a tragedy occurs it is natural to seek to understand what happened and to look for reasons why and for ways to avoid a recurrence. We all like to believe that with proper preparation that we can avoid a similar fate – that we have some control over what happens to us. Unfortunately the amount of control that we actually have is often much less than we would like to believe. Proper preparation and training improves our odds, but doesn’t guarantee 100% safety.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 10:30 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
wolfwoman wrote:
When a tragedy occurs it is natural to seek to understand what happened and to look for reasons why and for ways to avoid a recurrence. We all like to believe that with proper preparation that we can avoid a similar fate – that we have some control over what happens to us. Unfortunately the amount of control that we actually have is often much less than we would like to believe. Proper preparation and training improves our odds, but doesn’t guarantee 100% safety.
Very true, imho sometimes it's just our time and nothing can change that. Obviously Karen was loved by many, made a positive influence upon many lives, and lived life to the fullest.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 10:31 pm 
wheatie wrote:
Ranger Rock wrote:
https://www.facebook.c...................e
I don't think that was meant to be publicly shared and it upsets me that it is...Karen's daughter is probably not considering facebook privacy settings at this time.
https://www.facebook.com/search/more/?q=Karen+Sykes&init=public#!/annette.shirey.9?hc_location=timeline Annette Shirey 12 hours ago. I am making preliminary travel plans to travel with Arnie to Seattle for memorial services of my mother. There is no date set at this point in time. I am considering changing my privacy settings on Facebook. For the hiking community and sincere people who share in my grief, I will keep the Facebook settings open to the public for now. I want my mother to be revered for the writer and lover of nature she was and the beautiful ways she represented Seattle and the Northwest in her photography and writing.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 12:04 am 
I will say this once just as simply as I can. There is hardly a life on these boards who was not touched by Karen Sykes, be it directly or indirectly. Many of us never knew Karen, but many of us did, some extremely well. I am sincerely requesting that we keep this thread respectful with no speculating, no bickering, and no trolling. Our community has lost an irreplaceable member and we are all grieving in one way or another, some very deeply. I did not know Karen, but many of my friends did and it is for them as well as Karen that my heart aches. Lets support each other in this process rather than tearing at the tender threads that bind us together.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Gregory

Gregory
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 4:06 am 
Before the news of hypothermia being the cause of death I was sad for karen. Now I have the utmost respect for her.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 4:54 am 
"Can't cheat the mountain. Mountain's got its own ways." I think Karen is still on the trail. Up there ahead, just around the next bend. up.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
mike

mike
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 7:06 am 
Quote:
hypothermia
If that is indeed true then a PLB might have saved her life...