Forum Index > Trail Talk > Karen Sykes lost on Mt.Rainier?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
grasshopper

grasshopper
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 7:37 am 
I think it's natural as we all process this incident and are grieving in our own ways, we just don't want to think Karen was unprepared or did anything "wrong." We don't want to think of a great outdoors person as having any kind of weakness. I can see an underlying heart condition could bring on hypothermia. If the heart muscle isn't delivering blood efficiently. Maybe she just got tired, closed her eyes for a second, and just never woke up. My biggest takeaway from this tragedy is that it doesn't matter who you are or what your skills and experience, accidents happen in the mountains. There's nothing wrong with that. The mountain was just ready to call Karen home.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
phillyjon

phillyjon
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 7:45 am 
No matter how many times we go out there. we're constantly reminded how big it all is. Although I didn't agree with the printing of the article in today's 'Times, it did have some nice quotes. Especially by Karen at the close.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
Boots
Gone Kayaking

Boots
Gone Kayaking
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 7:58 am 
Perhaps it's time to close this thread as the SAR operations have concluded and we know as much as we need to. Maybe the best thing is to have a memorial thread for friends to remember her for pictures and stories. I think the best way to honor someone is to honor the things they valued.

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." -Helen Keller
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 8:31 am 
grasshopper wrote:
Maybe she just got tired, closed her eyes for a second, and just never woke up.
And that's a nice way to go--in the woods, away from hospital hubub and strangers. Peaceful.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 9:17 am 
Boots wrote:
Perhaps it's time to close this thread as the SAR operations have concluded and we know as much as we need to. Maybe the best thing is to have a memorial thread for friends to remember her for pictures and stories. I think the best way to honor someone is to honor the things they valued.
This! up.gif ~z

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 10:11 am 
RIP Karen. Thanks for all your contributions to the hiking community.

Traildad

Traildad
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 10:47 am 
treeswarper wrote:
grasshopper wrote:
Maybe she just got tired, closed her eyes for a second, and just never woke up.
And that's a nice way to go--in the woods, away from hospital hubub and strangers. Peaceful.
Sounds perfect to me. We should all be so fortunate. RIP Karen, your contributions to the community have been awesome.

Life is short so live it well.
Hikes with dogs
always well behaved

Hikes with dogs
always well behaved
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 10:52 am 
We already miss her updates frown.gif frown.gif

guns don't watch your back... our dogs have shown us the way out when we were lost...AND kept us warm... for us its ALWAYS a two dog night!
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 12:32 pm 
A Skagit County Park
A Skagit County Park
Us old timers remember when, before the internet, we used to get our hiking information from books and newspapers. Ira, Harvey, and Sykes were the ones who told us about the places we should see. I was sitting up on the bench at Sars Head on Sunday, enjoying the view, and thinking about Karen. She wrote the report that got me interested in Sharpe Park years ago, and I have been back many times since. This may be the best place in state to get an overview of the San Juan islands, rising like green jewels from the blue sea, and I could sit there for hours if I had the time, watching the boats cruise by. The picture above is hers, linked from her original TR. Thanks Karen, for all your inspiration. S.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 12:55 pm 
phillyjon wrote:
Although I didn't agree with the printing of the article in today's 'Times, it did have some nice quotes.
Why not? Was there something not accurate in the piece? Like it or not, Karen was a "public person," so her passing is news, including "all the details fit to print." She touched a lot of people in very good ways.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 1:08 pm 
Sad news, one person I wished I'd meet on the Trail.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
KarenP

KarenP
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 1:32 pm 
I have established a new thread announcing Karen's Memorial Service on 7/14. Please use the new thread for adding additional remembrances of Karen (so readers don't have to page through all the entries during the search for her.) Karen was such a powerful influence on so many of us, it is good to remember those good times we had with her as well as to celebrate her long literary legacy. It has been very gratifying to read all the great comments from NWHikers. I look forward to seeing you all at the Memorial Service.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 2:21 pm 
KarenP wrote:
I have established a new thread announcing Karen's Memorial Service on 7/14. Please use the new thread for adding additional remembrances of Karen (so readers don't have to page through all the entries during the search for her.)
Karen Sykes Memorial 7/14/14

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin