Forum Index > Trail Talk > Free Professional Rock Instruction for Beginners
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jason_Martin

Jason_Martin
PostTue Jun 17, 2014 2:10 pm 
The American Alpine Institute is running an American Mountain Guides Association Single Pitch Instructor Exam on Saturday, June 21st in Leavenworth. We are currently seeking individuals who would like to play the role of student for the exam candidates on: SATURDAY, JUNE 21, 2014 We are primarily interested in climbers who haven't spent a great deal of time outdoors. The exam candidates will provide a day's worth of climbing instruction to those who are interested under the supervision of an AMGA Certified Rock Guide for FREE. Mock students will work with the guides from approximately 9am to 4pm. If you need to leave early, that's certainly fine. The ideal "mock client" will have rock shoes, a helmet and a harness, though if you don't have one of these things, we may be able to provide it. The American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA) Single Pitch Instructor Course and exam is the first in the AMGA sequence of climbing instructor and guide training programs. The SPI course was designed to help capable recreational climbers transition into capable and effective climbing instructors. The course focuses on the technical skills required by an instructor as they are applied in all forms of single pitch climbing instruction. In addition to this, the course addresses the essential educational and environmental tenets required to teach climbing. Those seeking certification may go on to take a two-day field examination following the course. Certified Single Pitch Instructors are expected to demonstrate the technical and educational proficiencies necessary to instruct a variety of single pitch rock climbing skills in a safe and effective manner to both groups and individuals. To read more about the AMGA Single Pitch Instructor course and exam, please click on the following link: http://www.alpineinstitute.com/catalog/amga-single-pitch-instructor-course-and-exam/ If you would like to participate in this guide assessment as a mock student and to obtain some free training, please call AAI between 9am and 5:30pm at 360-671-1505 on a weekday or email info@alpineinstitute.com. Thanks, Jason Martin

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Jun 17, 2014 2:58 pm 
Awesome opportunity with a top notch outfit!!!!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jun 17, 2014 3:16 pm 
I did this a couple years ago. It was fantastic. Great setting, a lot of fun, close supervision from very competent guides, highly attentive belays, etc. Much better than I expected.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jun 17, 2014 9:06 pm 
It's a great opportunity for someone.

hiker1

hiker1
PostTue Jun 17, 2014 9:40 pm 
At first I thought it was Rock music instruction. Then I noticed it was in Trail talk.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Jason_Martin

Jason_Martin
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 8:43 am 
Bump.

Dlab

Dlab
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 8:59 am 
Jason will there be another one of these this year? Would love to volunteer but already had a trip planned.

Rider

Rider
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 10:24 pm 
You have mail. Something I have been curious about.

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostSun Jun 22, 2014 5:27 am 
My wife participated in this yesterday. I went along and took photos. My wife had lots of fun and learned lots. The instruction was excellent. I see this popping up every once in a while, it is a great opportunity for anyone interested in climbing. Dave A.

Jason_Martin

Jason_Martin
PostTue Jun 24, 2014 2:14 pm 
I have two more of these this summer/fall. They are both at Mt. Erie near Anacortes and will take place on July 29th and on October 7th. I'll post again when it gets closer. But if you're interested, please email me at jason@alpineinstitute.com. Thanks, Jason