Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Which brand of wireless router?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Jun 21, 2014 8:48 pm 
Thanks to all of you who offered help, but this issue just morphed into a moot point. While having a glass of wine with my wife out on the deck tonight the following conversation took place: Wife: why don’t we just use the streaming blu-ray player that has WiFi access with the TV downstairs? Me: sounds good but, which one is that? Wife: well, the one we have connected to the TV upstairs. We don’t need it there since that TV has built-in WiFi. Me: OK, let’s try it right now! Bottom line…we now have streaming Netflix and Youtube working on our not-so-smart TV downstairt using my original router. So, I don't need to do nothing!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Jun 22, 2014 12:28 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
So, I don't need to do nothing!!
That always seems like the best solution. wink.gif

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostSun Jun 22, 2014 10:30 am 
For home-network and some small business installs I've used the Apple wireless products. They are not the least expensive, but they are very capable and reliable. I've long since given up on Linksys, Dlink, et al due to quality and reliability issues. In fact, we use a combination of Apple TVs and Airport Express WiFi devices in our house for distributed audio: From iTunes, an iPhone, an iPad, or an iPod Touch, we can stream music to any subset of six zones in the house. And the handheld devices can also be used as remote controls for iTunes running on a PC, or an Apple TV. At $99, the AppleTV may, in my opinion, be the most undervalued product Apple sells. It includes Netflix, Hulu, and many other streaming media apps aside from iTunes. I'm not an Apple fanboy, but they have done a nice job with their AV stack.

If not now, when?
B+L

B+L
PostSun Jun 22, 2014 8:02 pm 
As DogNTallGrass mentioned, ASUS makes very nice routers. Amped Wireless makes really nice range extenders. We recently added one in the middle of the house and now we get a strong signal everywhere, including the garage, outside on the deck, the patio, the backyard, down the street, etc. Wires are so last century.

hiker1

hiker1
PostSun Jun 22, 2014 11:53 pm 
B+L wrote:
Wires are so last century.
Wires don't put high power wireless signals throughout the house. http://www.safespaceprotection.com/electrostress-from-wireless-routers.aspx
Quote:
Wireless Internet routers or Wi-Fi modems use dangerous electromagnetic radiation to send their signals to your computer through walls. If you have a wireless Internet router set up in your home or office (or WiMax, Blue Tooth, Air-Port Extreme, Air-Port Express, Netgear, D-Link, Belkin, Linksys and other wireless network devices) you are receiving massive EMF exposure, and living or working in a dangerous soup of radiation.
Could Wifi signals damage your health? Wireless electronic devices and health Children’s Health Expert Panel: Cell Phones & Wi-Fi―Are Children, Fetuses and Fertility at Risk?

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 1:58 am 
hiker1 wrote:
Wires don't put high power wireless signals throughout the house.
home routers also don't put high-power wireless signals throughout the house. the highest power wireless device you have is a cell phone that transmits a signal many miles to a cell site. home routers rarely have enough power to transmit more than a hundred yards or less..... stupidity breeds fear, and stupid people breed both stupidity and fear..... much like religion, but that's another subject...... i like linksys routers/wireless access points. they run embedded linux, and are very secure smile.gif

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 9:13 am 
Perhaps the bottom line is that we don't really know what the long-term effect of decades of exposure to low-intensity RF energy will be. There was a time when everyone thought asbestos was a miracle material. Heck, I even did a presentation in college on how silicone gel was bio-inert...10 years before we discovered the health issues with leaking breast implants. But trying to avoid exposure at this point is nearly pointless- you'd have to give up your cell phone, garage door opener, never go anywhere with WiFi (every coffee shop, shopping mall, friend's houses, even my automobile mechanic waiting room). All together now: On with our tin-foil hats!

If not now, when?
mike

mike
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 9:16 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
On with our tin-foil hats!
latest research suggests that tin-foil hats work. (will cite when I get off work) Nature May 25

trestle

trestle
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 11:16 am 
Where does one even buy tin-foil? wink.gif For something that hasn't been available for decades, that name sure has stuck.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 6:39 pm 
Ubiquiti AP

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jun 23, 2014 9:06 pm 
What hath I wrought?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 25, 2014 9:38 pm 
My old cheap router was dropping out in the far bedroom and outside on the deck. I picked up a Netgear R6100 at Costco in Oregon for $70. So far it works great but I will take it back if there are problems. it is a dual band 2.8 and 5K 802 ac (latest spec) . The only real deficiency is it does not do gigabit Ethernet. I has great range and works well enough for HD streaming on Netflix but would not do high speed transfers between computers.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
lostintheforest

lostintheforest
PostThu Jun 26, 2014 11:55 am 
This convo has me wondering what the market would be for custom tinfoil hats. Make a nice fedora model for all the hipsters. Maybe a crocheted one as well. Hmm ....