Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > National Forest System Trails Stewardship Act
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Muir fan

Muir fan
PostTue Oct 04, 2016 11:39 pm 
Ski wrote:
^ If they're multi-use trails and are not located in designated wilderness areas, why not? If USFS is trying to avail itself to volunteer muscle to perform maintenance, it follows logically they'd want to include as many user groups as possible, not exclude them.
They want some Wilderness access (or not lose historical access). And they are energetic trail maintainers. Moreso than hikers and horsemen.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ulysses

Ulysses
PostSat Oct 08, 2016 10:36 am 
drm wrote:
My impression is that use of volunteers is limited by a lack of certified trip leaders in some cases and in other cases because more significant work (like rerouting a trail) requires significant Forest Services resources in getting approval before volunteer work can be done. These are part of my experience but I could see how in other parts of the country it might be very different. More generally the point is that volunteers may be free, but using them is not, at least as far as organized efforts go.
This is the truth. The amount and type of work that can be done also varies greatly depending on who is doing the volunteering and how much baby-sitting is required by the FS or NPS etc. I've said it before, volunteers can never totally replace having a cadre of professional trail crew workers.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Oct 14, 2016 4:37 pm 
The bit about fire crew bit is unnecessary, and won't make a difference. First there aren't many district level crew staff anymore. And unless fire hazard rating is red flag, they are aren't waiting for a fire. They're already doing something. It used to heavily oriented to prepping for burning. I'd be shocked if fuel reduction isn't high on the plate now. But when trail crew needed another body for some special work reason or even needed to be picked up so they could work through, fire did it. In WA volunteer hours are increasing. Has the result been that trails are disappearing slower, or are more trails moving to an improved condition? The GAO did include the comment that volunteers aren't free. Also noted were mostly positive comments about light free lance work. And the GAO discussed lack of retention and training of trail crews. If crews cannot be adequately trained how do you train volunteers?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!