Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Sedentary behaviors can increase risk of cancer
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hiker1

hiker1
PostFri Jun 27, 2014 10:14 pm 
Exercise won't stop sitting all day from potentially killing you. Television Viewing and Time Spent Sedentary in Relation to Cancer Risk: A Meta-analysis
Quote:
Prolonged TV viewing and time spent in other sedentary pursuits is associated with increased risks of certain types of cancer. In recent years, increased television (TV) viewing and computer use along with less physically demanding jobs have led people to become more sedentary in their daily routines. Objectively assessed measures indicate that adults spend 50% to 60% of their day in sedentary behaviors. Sedentary pursuits are undertaken in numerous domains of life, including recreation (eg, TV or video viewing, computer use, reading), occupation (eg, sitting at a desk or a counter), transportation (eg, sitting in a bus, car, or train), and as part of social activities (eg, playing cards, sit-down meals). Sedentary behavior is emerging as a potential determinant of deleterious health outcomes, of which TV viewing has been the most commonly studied. Prolonged sitting time lowers energy expenditure and displaces time spent in light physical activities, which consequently leads to weight gain over time. Moreover, TV viewing is accompanied by increased consumption of unhealthy foods, such as sugar-sweetened beverages, sweets, and fast food, and it is related to enhanced smoking initiation. Obesity and smoking are associated with increased risk of cancer, whereas physical activity is related to reduced cancer risk. To date, 43 epidemiologic studies have examined sedentary behavior in relation to cancer incidence, including cancers of the breast, colorectum, endometrium , ovaries, lung , prostate, stomach, esophagus, testes, renal cell, and non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Many, but not all, of those investigations found an apparent adverse effect of prolonged sitting time on cancer incidence. However, the epidemiologic evidence regarding sedentary behavior in relation to cancer risk has not been quantitatively assessed in a meta-analysis. Thus, we conducted a comprehensive systematic literature review and meta-analysis of published prospective studies of TV viewing time, recreational sitting time, occupational sitting time, and total sitting time in relation to site-specific cancers.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jun 27, 2014 10:20 pm 
... and somebody had to do a study to figure that out? dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jun 27, 2014 10:28 pm 
Yea that study falls under the captain obvious/duh category...

hiker1

hiker1
PostFri Jun 27, 2014 10:30 pm 
The increase in specific types of cancer is what's new.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSat Jun 28, 2014 7:10 am 
It seems like I rarely get time to sit down in front of the TV or computer, so I guess I'm (relatively) safe. My job has me out & about all day, I take a walk after work, & go hiking on wknds. I'm only sitting in front of the computer now b/c I'm waiting for MM to finish getting ready to go hiking.... embarassedlaugh.gif It's difficult to understand why people want to sit around all day...for me I get antsy &/or back pain if I don't get out of the house. hink.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Jun 28, 2014 8:21 am 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
It's difficult to understand why people want to sit around all day...f
It's not that I want too but my job dictates that I am in an office to earn a living. That combined with commuting and family responsibilities greatly cuts into my hiking/recreation time. (There are a few advantages to being unemployed I guess.. lol.gif )... Yea even so I still need to do more exercise but it doesn't just come as part of work. I would have loved a job where I could be more active but I didn't see a way to make enough $$$$ doing that without doing something too dangerous, risky or dependent on age. I.E. when I'm older I don't want to have to rely on something that depends on physical labor for my meal ticket.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Jun 28, 2014 8:22 am 
We dropped our TV service years ago (we only had it for a few years after both kids left home, they grew up with no TV). Now we sometimes stream with Netflix, Prime and Youtube. But plan to drop Netflix at the end of this month since we discovered it was only being watched about twice a month usually for a documentary. Will keep Prime because of free Amazon shipping that comes with it and an occasional documentary. Our main entertainment is blues music on Youtube.