Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Ideas for a special 12 year old’s birthday
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 7:40 am 
Long story short, I have weekend custody of a 12 year old with cerebral palsey. It’s kind of a foster care respite thing. This weekend is his birthday, and because he is probably going back to his mom (which I strongly disagree with but that’s another story…) it may be the last time I see him in a long time too. I’d rather not go into the details but gifts are out of the question because pretty much everything he’s ever had has been previously taken away and sold (and he’s going back to that). Long story shorter, he has been crapped on hard in life and I’m trying to give him something to remember. So I’m looking to create a day. I want it to be totally up to him what he does (unless I can pull together an epic surprise) but I’m short on ideas to get his mind rolling. Zoo’s, museums, baseball game, whale watching, road trip are all on table thus far. Any other ideas? (we’ve not had kids before getting involved with him so we’re kind of new to this) He can walk short distances and do some stairs (about 100 yards at a time) but otherwise sticks to his wheelchair when out and about (but i can throw him on my back for anything too - he says he's like yoda and I'm luke). He is a HUGE football/seahawks fan, but other than that he’s a normal 12 year old boy. I’d LOVE to be able to get him an all access tour of Century Link field or VMAC, but I don’t even know where to start with that (I’ll try to call around today). thoughts?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 8:05 am 
I loved the Science Center when I was a kid. Looks like some fun exhibits right now too. Very accessable

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
KJR

KJR
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 8:12 pm 
take him on a float plane trip out of Lake Union with Kenmore Air. They do flightseeing as well as trips into the islands, any young man would love a float plane ride. Hit up the pilot and get him to let him sit in the co-pilot seat up front, shouldn't be too hard as most of the pilots are great people.

around the next corner
KJR

KJR
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 8:23 pm 
Here is another idea or two.... http://hotairballoonridesseattle.com/ http://www.argosycruises.com/sightseeing-cruises/ do the cruise the locks tour, neat to see them from inside. combine museum of flight with Kenmore Air and make it an air day. Or the Boeing tour in Everett....

around the next corner
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 8:43 pm 
Sounds like what he needs the most is to know someone actually cares about him. I am not sure you need an extreme experience to do that. Anyway, God bless you for what you are doing.

Badger

Badger
PostFri Jul 04, 2014 6:52 am 
Check out Ifly. http://seattle.iflyworld.com/