Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backpacker jailed for missing deadline
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerman

hikerman
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 8:57 am 
http://mynorthwest.com/174/2558468/Backpacker-jailed-in-Tacoma-for-being-30-minutes-late Don't be late!
Quote:
Backpacker jailed in Tacoma for missing deadline TACOMA, Wash. (AP) -- A man from Uruguay who spent six months backpacking around the United States is jailed for over-extending his visit by 30 minutes. Diego Simonassi was trying to enter Canada on his last day on June 14 when he was turned back at the Peace Arch crossing because he didn't have a visa. It was 30 minutes past midnight when he asked U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for help. Agents arrested him, and he's been held at the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma ever since. An immigration lawyer, Steve Tanijo, told KOMO it's a "ridiculous" situation. A bond hearing is two weeks away and a hearing to dismiss the case has not been set.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 9:23 am 
Don't mess with Immigration and Customs....

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 9:53 am 
I have a feeling that there is more to the story. Did he have any $$$ when he tried to enter Canada? Why go to INS for help in going into Canada? Why wait for the last minute to extend a Visa?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 10:16 am 
Quote:
I have a feeling that there is more to the story.
There always is. Wonder why he didn't bother to get a visa from the Canadians?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 10:38 am 
MC wrote:
I have a feeling that there is more to the story.
don't hold your breath waiting for the Tribune to do any "reporting". they just recycle stuff off the wire.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 10:46 am 
I have no use for Canada. I went there once to check out Vancouver and they treated me like a criminal even though I have a spotless record. "O Canada my ass, they can kiss it! moon.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 11:31 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I have no use for Canada. I went there once to check out Vancouver and they treated me like a criminal even though I have a spotless record. "O Canada my ass, they can kiss it! moon.gif
Most of my border crossings have been uneventful -- two times crossing into Canada has been a bit more complicated: 1) When my youngest was 12, I was taking him snowboarding at Whistler and the CBP wanted to see a certified letter from his mother giving her permission for him to travel to Canada with me. I had no idea. They questioned my son separately for about ten minutes until they were satisfied that mom and dad lived together and weren't in the process of divorcing. I guess in custody disputes "running to Canada" was a thing at that time. I treated the CBP with respect and the attitude that they were doing their duty. 2) More recently I was traveling into Canada with a group. It turned out that one member of the group had been arrested, but never charged with MJ possession while he was in college. We were put in the special inspection lane for about 30 minutes, while the CBP did some record checking and questioned him. We didn't have to unpack the car or anything like that. Again we treated the CBP with respect and the attitude that they were simply performing "due diligence". A CBP story related to me by some Western Washington University students while sharing a BC ski hut (during WWU Spring break): CBP: Where you boys headed? WWU: Pemberton for some backcountry skiing CBP: You boys aren't bringing any pot with you are you? WWU: Uh no CBP: Well good, that would be like bringing sand to the beach. WWU: Uh OK CBP: Have a nice time in Canada!

Chief joseph

Chief joseph
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 1:44 pm 
I was only there once and won't likely go back....the first guard i encountered in his little guard station was very rude, given the option i would have turned around right then and went home. I was just going to check out Vancouver and maybe stay over, apparently i didn't answer their questions to their liking as they searched my truck and held me up for about 45 minutes, so yea, they can still kiss my ass.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 3:52 pm 
I took an extended road trip in the Northern Rockies (US side) and up into Canada with 3 other guys, we were all in our 20's at the time. We had a whole bunch of gear stuffed into a fairly small van camper. Crossing the border near Glacier NP (the US one, not the Canadian one) they were not very excited to have us entering their country. They thought we were up to something. We each got interviewed in a small room separately. Kept us there more than an hour. They sent the only woman working there to search the van. She gave up fairly quickly when she saw how much stuff was crammed into our vehicle. This was pre 9/11, I'd hate to think how much of a hassle it would have been post. Anyway they let us thru eventually but weren't too happy about a handful of young dirtbag American males being on the loose. We didn't cause any trouble...other than a bit of skinny dipping in Waterton Lakes area that we thought was secluded and turned out not to be.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 5:28 pm 
Odd.... I haven't had any trouble getting into Canada. Its coming back into the USA where I seem to run into problems and attitude, and my worst situations were business trips with all of us in suits. Although caught for 4 hours with one nasty business trip hassle, I did see some young folk's cars absolutely ripped apart, before they let them on their way. But all coming back into the USA as a citizen.

friluftsliv
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 5:48 pm 
True dat. Getting into Canada is a breeze, getting back out, not so much. frown.gif

AR

AR
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 6:51 pm 
Yep... I crossed the border back to the USA, before 9/11...One 3 month old infant screaming to be fed by Mom, the F'(er) with guard duty told my baby to shut up and my Washington license was worth "Dog Sh*T to them!" as he flicked it. Never went back...to hell with them, seriously.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 7:26 pm 
True story: My mother and father moved to Canada in the early 1950's. Mom was a war bride from England, Dad had served a stint in the Canadian Army and was eligible to homestead. The whole homesteading thing went sour once it started to get real cold, so Mom & Dad and the four kids headed south, only to get stopped at the border. Mom was still a British citizen, and despite being married to my dad, they wouldn't let her into the USA without a visa. So she and the four kids lived in the slums of Vancouver for a year while my Dad worked in the states and tried to get things sorted out. Eventually she got permission of some kind and crossed the border kids in tow. We all say "Why didn't you just sneak across?" and my Mom gets just horrified. The thought of doing anything illegal like that is so foreign to her that I guess it didn't even cross her mind.

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 8:19 pm 
boot up wrote:
Odd.... I haven't had any trouble getting into Canada. Its coming back into the USA where I seem to run into problems and attitude, and my worst situations were business trips with all of us in suits.
What he said. We used to make several trips a year to Harrison Hot Springs. Not as much lately but... Never had any trouble either direction but they seem to be a little more snotty sometimes coming back into the US. I guess Canada wants people coming in to spend US money... lol.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 8:32 pm 
tigermn wrote:
I guess Canada wants people coming in to spend US money... lol.gif
Not my experience at all, their attitude was that they didn't want or need my money. Coming back was a breeze, I told the guard "Thank God, I am so glad to be back in America, Canada sucks!". he laughed, gave me no trouble and said welcome back. This was pre 911.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.