Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backpacker jailed for missing deadline
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
contour5

contour5
PostFri Jul 04, 2014 7:18 pm 
They let him out on a 30 day pass. Takes 35 days to get a Canadian visa... to be continued

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jul 06, 2014 11:23 pm 
When my oldest son was a few years old (pre 9-11) I had taken him to Victoria for a few days. I think he was 3? I don't remember now. Anyhow, I had no issues going into Canada but coming back that time I had the jerkiest guy. At the time my son only had my name on his birth certificate and the guy took the time to go on the windiest speech about how single moms were the reason America was going to hell in a handbasket. That guy would NOT shut up and I had to stand there and smile through it like he was some kind of benevolent god. He had no right to demean me or my son - and yes, he called my son a bastard. But what could I do? I couldn't say anything. Frankly, it was a breeze a few years back getting my oldest son his first passport, even with having to send in my court paperwork showing I have 100% custody (his BC has both names now). Now when we travel no one sees the difference outside of different last names. But hey, I attract asses like crazy. Don't get me started on the TSA agent and her supervisor who claimed I had to throw out sealed bottles of ready to drink baby formula.....even though on the TSA website it says in loud print that is allowed. I argued that one into the ground (I was in DC) and I won - after I got so loud that a supervisor over those two idiots heard me - ran the sealed bottles through the machine that checks for leaks - and said "here you go, have a good flight". My lesson in all this is...there will always be idiots and jerks. Thankfully most times I don't encounter them.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 12:45 am 
Sounds like the guy in Annacourtous we got coming back from the San Juan's when we made the mistake of getting on the "International" ferry, he wanted to inspect our console (we were thinking he was talking about our TV dizzy.gif ) . Almost made us go to the "little room" mad.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 12:48 am 
That sucks Sarbar, people can be such jerks, especially when they are in positions of 'power'....I simply stay away from foreign countries, problem solved. I mean, realistically in my lifetime I could never visit all of the awesome places in America, so going abroad makes absolutely no sense to me. Economically and safety wise, it's simply not worth the cost and the risk imho. Hike in Iraqi Kurdistan? I would pass even if someone paid me for it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9311_detention_of_American_hikers_by_Iran

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Frosty

Frosty
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 6:44 am 
Just pointing out that all the bad stories about border guards while ' getting out' of Canada, will be your US guards...and yes, there are nice ones and not nice ones on each side. Thankfully the vast majority of them are very courteous. Going across either border with a child, without both parents present, you have to be prepared to produce both a passport and a notarized permission from one or both parents, giving both a date of entry and a date of return. If the other parent had died, presumably they would want to see a death certificate. I think it makes sense, but probably deters spur of the moment day trips across the border with kid's friends or grand kids...

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 7:27 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Economically and safety wise, it's simply not worth the cost and the risk imho.
Yes I agree, waaaay to risky to cross the border into Canada. Besides it is not really worth enduring such a hassle, there is nothing to see in that frozen wasteland of a country anyway.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 10:13 am 
Maybe I've been lucky, but I've had nothing but good experiences crossing into Canada. There are obviously bad apples on each side, but all of the US border guards I've encountered have sticks up their butts.

mike

mike
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 10:27 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
but all of the US border guards I've encountered have sticks up their butts.
this. the latest was the guy with the fruit-sniffing dog w/gun and shades at Seatac. It may be a useful function but why the attitude? I've crossed the border dozens of times over the years and the Canadians have been uniformly polite, professional and helpful.

Spotly

Spotly
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 12:52 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I have no use for Canada. I went there once to check out Vancouver and they treated me like a criminal even though I have a spotless record. "O Canada my ass, they can kiss it! moon.gif
Just the opposite of my experiences. I've been across the border and various entry points dozens of times. Without exception, the Canadian side has always gone smoothly and I was treated with respect and greeted with a smile. Coming back into the U.S. side on the other hand...The U.S. Customs officers along the Canadian border have usually acted over-bearing and in some cases, downright nasty. A few times and I could chalk it up to lack of coffee or something but now I'm convince that it's a culture that's nurtured. I have nothing but contempt for "them" at this point. I'll still take each one as an individual but have no expectations of reasonable treatment.

Spotly

Spotly
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 12:58 pm 
Karen² wrote:
Besides it is not really worth enduring such a hassle, there is nothing to see in that frozen wasteland of a country anyway.
We should be erecting a tall ice wall and sending our bastard children to man it smile.gif

Chief joseph

Chief joseph
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 5:04 pm 
Again, plenty of places to see here, absolutely no reason for me to go there. But, why should anyone care or feel the need to make sarcastic comments about something that is simply my opinion?

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 7:52 pm 
I agree with you, there are lots of beautiful places in the US to see, and I've seen lots of them. But there are other treasures beyond your great borders.
Chief joseph wrote:
But, why should anyone care or feel the need to make sarcastic comments about something that is simply my opinion?
My response was silly because I found your comments silly. In fact some people might find them kind of rude and obnoxious, but most Canadians have the ability to laugh off such things. What if I made the same comments about the US? Do unto others…
Chief Joseph wrote:
"O Canada my ass, they can kiss it! moon.gif
Chief Joseph wrote:
I told the guard "Thank God, I am so glad to be back in America, Canada sucks!".
Chief Joseph wrote:
going abroad makes absolutely no sense to me. Economically and safety wise, it's simply not worth the cost and the risk imho
Just because one Canadian in your experience was an idiot, all foreign people and places are not worth knowing or exploring? If you re-read this thread, most people have had far worse experiences getting back into the US, not into other countries. Me? I’ve crossed the US/Can border 100’s of times and never once had a problem. Yes I’ve been searched and detained – its part of the process of protecting your country! I’ve encountered customs officers on both sides with lots of attitude; you can always find unhappy bullies anywhere you go. But to deprive yourself of travels and experiences to other nations because of one person that detained you for 45 minutes seems like kind of a silly rationale. When you travel to another country, it is not a right, it is a privilege. The fact is there are no safety issues crossing into Canada and the costs are the same to travel in Canada as they would be for you in the US. Granted flying is more expensive in Canada, but when you live so close to so much great culture and landscapes and you choose not to see and experience them because of one jerk? That may be your opinion, but it is also your loss.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 8:55 pm 
derr ....me mom is cansadian..anyway I got asked once if I had ever been arrested by a young canadian guy and his trainee...I was driving a scummy honda prelude with 5 days beard with a 23gallon propane tank and battery's in the trunk...I just rubbed my chin and looked at him like are u a friggin moron ..and asked... like for what like robbing a bank or something!?? funny.... when I was lucky enough to live and ski-mountaineer the backcountry in whistler for 4 seasons..I alway kept my ski-patroll jacket with the cross showing in the back seat, worked like a charm! even with the Taco Del Mar sticker "roll a fat one today" stuck next to the liscence plate!! lol.gif lol.gif

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 10:59 pm 
I've had some fantastic experiences in Canada and seen incredible things. The Rockies only get better as you go north. BC has so much natural beauty it's incredible.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 11:59 pm 
^ agreed. Alberta is fantastic, too. The icefields parkway was the most beautiful drive I've done in my life. I love Canada. The people are friendly, the food tastes better, and the scenery is outstanding. Plus it's fun to drive 100 (kph) on the highways cool.gif