Forum Index > Gear Talk > Bug shelter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 11:01 pm 
I have a Sea to Summit double size net bug shelter (at least I think I do, can't find at the moment)....but it's big downfall is that it doesn't keep out the "no see ums"...anyone know where I can purchase a single size bug shelter that keeps out the lil buggers too? I really like a floorless bug shelter as a place to hang out, cook, eat, ect and I get kind of a sense of superiority watching the blood thirsty lil fockers trying to get in....also ironic that should they happen to get into the shelter, they are now only concerned with escaping and not feasting upon my blood. waah.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostFri Jul 04, 2014 11:06 am 
Oware, zpacks, and others could whip you up something custom with nanoseeum netting (lighter version of noseeum) for fairly cheap I'd guess. Also, a floorless bug net would be super easy and cheap to sew yourself. I'd check to see if the newer s2s nets are now made with noseeum mesh

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 8:42 pm 
Just bought one one these to have a place to escape the brutal bugs in the winds... 5 oz.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostFri Jul 02, 2021 5:51 pm 
If that doesnt work out for you I have an extra REI bug hut with 2 cross members to keep it off your upper body for 25 shipped, weighs about a pound smile.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jul 02, 2021 6:12 pm 
It must be this one? Can't tell if it has a complete floor? Might want it, I had my friend order the one I pictured, but by the time he placed the order it was sold out.
That would be cool, I could set up a tarp and slide this under it at night or if it rains.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Jul 02, 2021 11:50 pm 
The key thing about a bug stand is to not just get one of those ones with no sides just the "gazebo" style. It needs sides!

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jul 03, 2021 11:17 am 
REI Bug. They’ve re-evolved part way to the old Eld Equipment Pod of forty-five years ago. No just stiff enough tubing at foot end, no single stake, no semi-cantenary curve from top of cross members to top of tubing arc at foot end. But they are progressing, even if they can’t see the end yet. Math people: Semi-cantenary. I was trying to describe that curve from a higher supporting point to a lower supporting point, instead of the classic bridge with two points at same height. Is there a better term?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Jul 07, 2021 8:35 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Math people: Semi-cantenary. I was trying to describe that curve from a higher supporting point to a lower supporting point, instead of the classic bridge with two points at same height. Is there a better term?
It’s a “hyperbolic function”. They are used in engineering occasionally. For example a parallel set of wires (or twisted pair), the electrical capacitance can be calculated based on the wire diameter and their spacing using a hyperbolic function.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
ern56

ern56
PostThu Aug 19, 2021 11:51 am 
Spray entire bug shelter with Permethrin, good against flies, mosquitoes, silverfish, cockroaches, fleas, bed bugs, millipedes, gnats, fruit flies, ticks, lice, and spiders. Treament is good for 6 weeks

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Aug 19, 2021 12:48 pm 
In the past I have tried to figure out a good ultralight system for these types of situations. After much research I determined that a good ultralight tent was the easiest, lightest, and most inexpensive solution. YMMV My particular choice is a Tarptent Double Rainbow, formerly in silnylon original but currently the DR Li. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Aug 19, 2021 1:14 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
It must be this one? Can't tell if it has a complete floor? Might want it, I had my friend order the one I pictured, but by the time he placed the order it was sold out.
That would be cool, I could set up a tarp and slide this under it at night or if it rains.
I've got the Walrus bug hut version of this. Bought it for 1$ at a yard sale. I used it with a bivy bag and it worked great, it did not have a complete floor. Kept the scitter critters off of me as well. Not exactly ultra light as the poles were kind of heavy. My current 4 season 1P tent is about the same weight as the bug hut and bivy bag combined. https://bigskyinternational.com/collections/tents-and-shelters/products/big-sky-chinook-1p-tent

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Aug 22, 2021 1:53 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Math people: Semi-cantenary. I was trying to describe that curve from a higher supporting point to a lower supporting point, instead of the classic bridge with two points at same height. Is there a better term?
A catenary curve is actually a hyperbola, but an easier way to describe it is it's the shape that a flexible cord or chain will assume if you support both ends and let the rest hang, which as you mention need not be the same height.