Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How to repair all leather work gloves
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hiker1

hiker1
PostSun Jul 06, 2014 10:03 pm 
Sounds like a simple question, but when I try repairing a hole by sewing it up, next use of the gloves, the repair falls apart. So, what's the method for making a lasting repair? Maybe a leather patch, but how to attach without sewing? Or maybe it needs a special thread for sewing leather? Yes I use them for trail work, picking up logs etc. and getting them off the trail, for example.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 8:50 am 
I know this is not what you asked....but. Spend $12 on a new pair. Or go to a leather palm for a $1.98. The abrasion resistance on leather gloves is blown out of proportion in my opinion. If your using sharp tools here's some food for thought. While tuning up one of my crosscut saws on the work bench i grazed one of the teeth with a leather gloved hand. The leather glove did little if anything to stop my hand from getting cut. A new corona saw will go right through a leather glove too. If your just tossing logs off the trail a heavy duty synthetic rubber gripped glove is more than sufficient. The bonus with the rubber grip is they don't get as slippery when wet. Plus when you get home you can toss them in the washing machine. I know of no leather glove that can be laundered.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
mike

mike
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 9:13 am 
Costco leather glove 3 pak. up.gif Dip up a gob of snowseal and rub into the palms.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 12:41 pm 
just my two cents, since Hulksmash brought it up: I wore leather gloves for decades before I switched to Atlas Fit gloves. bad: no good for handling blackberries or other thorny shrubs. (and certainly not barbed wire!) good: no more blisters. machine washable. better grip. I was sharpening the blade on a D-ring up at Kalaloch one day and my hand slipped across the edge, slicing right through the leather glove and the backs of three knuckles. if I was going to attempt to patch a leather glove, I'd use Pliobond 25 adhesive. originally formulated by Goodyear for the US Army. sticks anything to anything. permanently. (even nylon pack-cloth patch to crappy old dirty lawnmower bag.) about 8 bucks at Ace Hardware.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 1:09 pm 
hiker1 wrote:
the repair falls apart.
What fails? Does the thread break or do the stitches pull out?

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 1:33 pm 
I had holes in my leather gloves at the fingers...duct taped them...worked for a while. Then, I started using the atlas rubber palmed gloves. AWESOME for all kinds of hand work in the garden, moving raw chunks on concrete, pawing in the dirt with all kinds of rough wood handling too..PLUS much better dexterity. I use them with thorny bushes as well, but I don't grip the bushes tightly knowing they could be pierced by a thorn. I have not gone back to the leather gloves since I got these light rubber palmed ones. However, they are all not created equal. I've had brands with cuffs that were too tight or too hard to pull off.

hiker1

hiker1
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 11:12 pm 
Seventy2002 wrote:
What fails? Does the thread break or do the stitches pull out?
Both. I noticed on closer inspection that the original thread on the gloves is thicker and that's what I should use in future. Although it'll be slower and more difficult. I like the leather gloves because they breathe well. And yes I use snow seal for them after getting most of the dirt off them by soaking in water and scrubbing with a brush. How well do the Atlas ones breathe, especially in hot weather like now? That rubber coating is waterproof I imagine. Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't use many tools so that's not an issue. Leather when a little wet doesn't get slippery, but yes when soaked through, then the rubber gloves would be better.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 07, 2014 11:28 pm 
Quote:
How well do the Atlas ones breathe, especially in hot weather like now?
the backside is a knit stretchy material. they seem to breathe okay. laying in 5 yards of beauty bark a month ago in 80-degree heat they were okay. the machine wash part is a big deal for me- I get them all full of crud working in flowerbeds, laying bark... stuff like that. I would wear leather if I was doing a rock wall, though, because I tend to pinch my fingers sometimes. there's a super lightweight version out there too... I picked up a pair last summer.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
mike

mike
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 7:49 am 
hiker1 wrote:
I like the leather gloves because they breathe well.
Me too. And more comfortable once you break them in. The Atlas not so much. Gloves are like tools. Choose the best one for the job. I have several kinds from which to pick.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 11:59 am 
sew it with 100 lb test fishing line. Or gorilla tape (good stuff!).