Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Stuart 'Do Over' ...with VIEWS!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
User-Name

User-Name
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 1:16 am 
UPDATE: I didn't really get to see much of the mountain during last Sunday's day trip to Stuart, but I saw enough to be convinced that this would be a REALLY nice dayhike if the weather would only cooperate. Did a re-hike earlier today and was not disappointed. Today's hike was a solo, 'cause I've been wanting one for awhile. Group hikes are a blast in their own way, but solo adventures have certain advantages too: you can move at your own pace all day; no one around to get offended if you keep your ear buds cranked and never say a word; you get to eat at Taco Bell on the way home. Anyhoo, fantastic route! Some snaps:
I got a pretty good 'alpine start' Monday morning, hitting the trail at 9:00 am.  Long's Pass was pretty.  I liked this twisted little scrub tree.
I got a pretty good 'alpine start' Monday morning, hitting the trail at 9:00 am. Long's Pass was pretty. I liked this twisted little scrub tree.
It's great how the entire route is visible from the start.
It's great how the entire route is visible from the start.
...moving up the Cascadian Couloir, you can look back and see the Pass.  Very neat.
...moving up the Cascadian Couloir, you can look back and see the Pass. Very neat.
Sherpa Balanced Rock...
Sherpa Balanced Rock...
The scramble route, from the false summit.
The scramble route, from the false summit.
Saw some goat trax in the snow on the scramble, then spotted a mama and baby close to the summit slabs.  See 'em?  I started to zoom in, but they vanished.  The goats were the only others who shared the summit with me today.
Saw some goat trax in the snow on the scramble, then spotted a mama and baby close to the summit slabs. See 'em? I started to zoom in, but they vanished. The goats were the only others who shared the summit with me today.
A view from the top...
A view from the top...
...and another.
...and another.
...one more.
...one more.
...after dropping down the snow from the false summit.  This went a little quicker today, 'cause I wore boots instead of running shoes.  Helps.
...after dropping down the snow from the false summit. This went a little quicker today, 'cause I wore boots instead of running shoes. Helps.
Back at the pass at 6:30 pm. Warm breezes contrasted with last Sunday's chlly conditions.  This time, the hikeout was sublime.
Back at the pass at 6:30 pm. Warm breezes contrasted with last Sunday's chlly conditions. This time, the hikeout was sublime.
..added a few props.
..added a few props.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 1:43 am 
Stuart is a big day. Doing it twice back to back is slightly insane. What was your round trip time? I think my group did it in roughly 13 hours. I bet you beat that given some of the trip reports you put up recently.

User-Name

User-Name
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 4:35 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
Stuart is a big day. Doing it twice back to back is slightly insane. What was your round trip time?
dizzy.gif yeah, it's goofy but fun. I'm not really racing, but I guess 10 to 10.5 hours. I slow down and don't take chances when I'm alone, just to make sure nothing happens to me in the scary wilderness.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 5:54 pm 
Nice. Camping can be fun, but I like day hikes. Nice goat picture as well.

touron

touron
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 7:55 pm 
Nice! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
ikell

ikell
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 5:16 pm 
Very good info, thanks! I'm planning on soloing this Fri/Sat, how is the snow fields? Looks pretty good to me, except the Couloir is all melted out.

Also on Cascade Climbers as ikell
silence

silence
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 6:28 pm 
way to go! up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
User-Name

User-Name
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 7:50 pm 
ikell wrote:
how is the snow fields? Looks pretty good to me, except the Couloir is all melted out.
Yeah, snow's vanishing quickly--only the final slope below the false summit is still covered. Enjoy! biggrin.gif