Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Day Job
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
LichenHiking

LichenHiking
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 3:11 pm 
Wondering what you all do for work? Is it flexible enough to allow you to work around extended hiking trips?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 5:30 pm 
IT department for a school district. The 30 random vacation days + every federal holiday is what keeps me there. Now where to go tomorrow....

LichenHiking

LichenHiking
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 5:59 pm 
I'm kinda casually searching for a new gig so I'm curious what everyone does to see if I can use it as some sort of inspiration. If anyone knows of an open position that could use someone with an Economics degree and 3 years of project management experience (energy efficiency and food industry) - please let me know. I'm not married to project management - at this point I'm a bit burned out on climbing the corporate ladder. 30 vacation days would kick butt!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 6:06 pm 
work?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 9:49 pm 
mbdz wrote:
.... 3 years of project management experience (energy efficiency and food industry) - please let me know. I'm not married to project management - at this point I'm a bit burned out on climbing the corporate ladder. 30 vacation days would kick butt!
Wow! 3 years of climbing the corporate ladder! No wonder you are fried! Time for a sabbatical! biggrin.gif 32 years of high intensity working on always critical Engineering projects in high tech, non-stop. Usually 2 weeks of vacation, which I am lucky to get to take, along with a couple of 3 days weekend. Getting weekends off is a luxury. Get off the ladder if you can.......

friluftsliv
LichenHiking

LichenHiking
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 9:58 pm 
boot up wrote:
Get off the ladder if you can.......
Always feels like I'm stressed out for someone else's benefit at the end of the day and my job definitely doesn't deal with life or death matters - we make snacks sold in convenience stores. Feel like I need to start the "do what makes you happy or allows you time to do what makes you happy" epiphany that you always hear hitting people a little older than me. I honestly don't know what that is, because I don't want a dead end job with so much career ahead of me...that's why I'm mining y'all for inspiration.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 9:59 pm 
Transitioning into project management here. Electrical construction. Will probably be going back to school in the fall for a certificate or BA/S in project management. The problem with this field is that when it's busy, it's really busy and getting time off can be tough. We're getting really busy...

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 10:11 pm 
mbdz wrote:
Feel like I need to start the "do what makes you happy or allows you time to do what makes you happy" epiphany that you always hear hitting people a little older than me.
Seriously..... You need to find a balance. That balance may not be your ideal that allows epic backpacking, but you need something to balance out the daily stress. And the more mundane the job/product the more it can grind you down, IMHO. For me its either bike commuting or getting out for a mere lunchtime 50 minute bike sprint session on a regular basis during the week, and getting in regular Saturday dayhikes. Sure, I would like more. But it keeps me hanging on and allowed me to support my wife and put my 2 daughters through college. Better yet...escape while you can.......

friluftsliv
LichenHiking

LichenHiking
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 10:27 pm 
boot up wrote:
And the more mundane the job/product the more it can grind you down, IMHO.
That's the problem - I just want something that is slightly more stimulating and maybe gets me out of the same office and same desk every day. I have been trying to bike on my lunch break actually, it helps a bit but the company still has the mentality of "the longer you are the the office the more worthy you are of a raise."

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 10:58 pm 
Quote:
escape while you can
okay okay...... 30+ years in sales. retail/wholesale/outside sales rep 14-16 hour days 7 days a week for over a decade 300+ miles daily average driving covering 7 western states there are no decent places to eat in Logan, Sheridan, Casper, Cheyenne, Pueblo. couple goodies in Denver and Portland. yippie. life's too short. yard boy. landscaping. fences. rock walls. no boss. no hours. no schedule. not a lot of money, but way less BS.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
LichenHiking

LichenHiking
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 11:09 pm 
Ski wrote:
yard boy. landscaping. fences. rock walls. no boss. no hours. no schedule. not a lot of money, but way less BS.
Need an assistant? I own work boots, am probably more hands on than your average gal, and I'll work rain or shine no complaints (gonna need some sunscreen in the summer though).

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 11:16 pm 
no employees anymore either! that was one of the worst parts of retail. definition of retail manager: glorified baby-sitter. brings back bad memories just thinkin' about it. if they're not tappin' the till they're tappin' each other. don't know which was worse: kleptomaniac employees or sociopath employers. nothin' quite like havin' the boss's wife come in with two black eyes when she dropped off his lunch. dizzy.gif

LichenHiking

LichenHiking
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 11:17 pm 
Ski wrote:
no employees anymore either! that was one of the worst parts of retail.
Understood. The "dream" is to someday be a freelance project manager - not an employee and won't have any employees. Not sure I can hold out long enough to get enough experience though.

LichenHiking

LichenHiking
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 11:29 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
Transitioning into project management here. Electrical construction. Will probably be going back to school in the fall for a certificate or BA/S in project management.
I haven't had official education in the field - I would love to talk more about what you learn and what you already do PM-wise day to day. I feel like I know a lot of the textbook stuff but haven't seen it applied so cleanly in real life.

mgd

mgd
PostWed Jul 09, 2014 11:41 pm