Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Day Job
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 6:37 am 
I do what I want..fiddle playing, kayak building, restoring my "forest". My feet and body kind of wore out so when I could retire, I did. But I still miss working with very interesting people. I spent 32 years working in forestry--most of it on the harvest side. I am glad I don't have to be going up and down units in this heat! My favorite was working on cable yarding units....lots of thinking and problem solving plus the happy noise of the whistle blowing. Here's a shameless recruit video.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Frango

Frango
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 6:59 am 
ER nurse for 25 years and counting. The good side of that? Flexible schedule, 12 hour shifts, up to 8 days off in a row so I can take off without having to use vacation time. Also occasionally get to feel like a hero, but more often just get to know what I do is useful. The bad side? Spitting, punching, cussing is routine (not me, my patients lol). Working Christmas, New Years, weekends. 12 hour shifts are stupidly long.

Badger

Badger
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 7:22 am 
Sys-Admin in a Data Center. 300 hours PTO per year. And... I work 12 hours shifts. 3 on 3 off then 4 on 4 off. Granted the first day off is usually spent recovering and relaxing. But that still leaves several days to play.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 7:43 am 
Attorney, in my 28th year since I passed the bar (yikes). After years in a downtown office, I moved my office to our West Seattle home in January. Currently tapering to part time practice, plan to be around 1/4 time practice in a few weeks. I have not been an employee with vacation time since 1993. I've been self-employed (as a partner, LLC member or sole proprietor) for the past 20+ years, so getting free time is a matter of bringing enough $$ in the door to cover my overhead and putting what's left over in my pocket. Over those past 20 years I've averaged the equivalent of at least 6 weeks of vacation per year. I plan to soon start to make that more like 20 weeks/year and 100+ ski days/year (snow conditions permitting). My advice to youngsters with outdoor avocations: Make the new economy work for you. Find a profession, trade or service biz that will allow you to make money on a flexible schedule. Alternatively, find a job and make yourself valuable such that you can negotiate 5 or 6 weeks of vacation and/or a 4-day work week. Live low to the ground and avoid debt because there is an inverse relationship between debt level and life options. ETA: The key to happiness is low overhead and low expectations wink.gif or, putting it less cynically, find value in things that cost little money, e.g., hiking. OP, can you find work on a project-by-project contract basis?

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 8:53 am 
I work for the Army. I write contracts (buy supplies and services) for the various Army hospitals in the western region. Currently I work M-F. I have a choice to a 5 day week then a 4 day week but it doesn't fit my life right now. Biggest sucky thing about this is that our busy time is the end of the fiscal year (ends 30 SEP) and generally no vacation is allowed in September. Not exactly the best fit for the best hiking/camping times here. frown.gif The no vacation in Sept wasn't a big deal when I was in TX, I wouldn't camp in TX anytime between June and October.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 9:37 am 
Who knew that enlisting in the armed services would result in a flexible schedule? tongue.gif

RichP

RichP
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 10:40 am 
Another teacher here. Summers off rocks.

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 10:48 am 
BigSteve wrote:
Who knew that enlisting in the armed services would result in a flexible schedule? tongue.gif
I'm not in the Army, I work for the Army (DoD civilian). cool.gif

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 11:10 am 
I work for a large aircraft manufacture. I accrue more vacation time when i work overtime. There's lots of overtime. No i don't take extended trips. The best i managed is two vacation days backed up next to weekend, for a 4 day consecutive days. Some how despite a large work force which in theory could absorb my seemingly insignificant manufacturing task....when i take vacation time my work is still there when i return. Then i have to catchup...yea more overtime. rolleyes.gif
mgd wrote:
http://247wallst.com/investing/2011/09/01/the-highest-paying-jobs-with-the-most-time-off/3/
^ Humm. Perhaps i should be an airline pilot. ^

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
LichenHiking

LichenHiking
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 11:15 am 
mgd wrote:
http://247wallst.com/investing/2011/09/01/the-highest-paying-jobs-with-the-most-time-off/3/
I didn't know being a dental hygenist paid so well. That's probably the only thing on the list I could still do without going back to school for years and collecting a bunch of debt again which limits options even more.
Hulksmash wrote:
I work for a large aircraft manufacture. I accrue more vacation time when i work overtime. There's lots of overtime. No i don't take extended trips. The best i managed is two vacation days backed up next to weekend, for a 4 day consecutive days. Some how despite a large work force which in theory could absorb my seemingly insignificant manufacturing task....when i take vacation time my work is still there when i return. Then i have to catchup...yea more overtime. rolleyes.gif
Nobody where I work can actually escape for more than a day backed up against a weekend. I tried to take Monday off to make the 4th a four day weekend - too much work even after my vacation request was submitted.
BigSteve wrote:
My advice to youngsters with outdoor avocations: Make the new economy work for you. Find a profession, trade or service biz that will allow you to make money on a flexible schedule. Alternatively, find a job and make yourself valuable such that you can negotiate 5 or 6 weeks of vacation and/or a 4-day work week. Live low to the ground and avoid debt because there is an inverse relationship between debt level and life options. ETA: The key to happiness is low overhead and low expectations wink.gif or, putting it less cynically, find value in things that cost little money, e.g., hiking. OP, can you find work on a project-by-project contract basis?
I wish it were more obvious what kind of jobs paid well and allowed flexibility. I don't want to go back to school (avoiding debt like you mentioned) so a lot of the specialized professions are out. I am totally into looking for something with less money but more balance. I like to be challenged - but there's a difference between challenged and overworked. I was very lucky to get through school with very little debt - so that isn't tying me down much. Also don't have a car payment or credit card debt and would love to keep it that way. I don't think I have quite enough experience yet to have a respected track record to get freelance work. I imagine that is a possibility after 30 - but, if I can find another suitable alternative career path in the meantime then so be it.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 11:46 am 
mbdz wrote:
kind of jobs
A job is not the only way to make money. My buds fall into two groups: those who talk about "jobs" and those who talk about "making money." All of the latter are self-employed.
mbdz wrote:
I was very lucky to get through school with very little debt - so that isn't tying me down much. Also don't have a car payment or credit card debt and would love to keep it that way.
Great!
mbdz wrote:
I don't think I have quite enough experience yet to have a respected track record to get freelance work.
Fair enough. I lacked the ability to find my own legal work until after I practiced law for a few years in a big law firm. Engaging technical and professional people on a contract basis -- often project-by-project -- is part of the new economy in many industries, and the trend is broadening. It seems that each month or so I run into someone who is transitioning from employee status to IC status. The uncertainty of IC status or self-employment can be daunting to someone new to the game, but it almost always results in more flexible personal time than employment. You might want to ask around about opportunities to work on a contract basis, whether with your current employer or others. It may just be a matter of time before IC opportunities arise. Talk to others in your industry and industries where you talents might be wanted. ID your options, both short-term and long-term. It might be a few years before you are in a position to chase work in the door, but it's never to early to assess opportunities, existing and potential.

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 12:04 pm 
I have a combination of gigs which seems to be the trend of sorts 1. I sell prints of travel, landscape and flower photography. 2. I work with a few real estate agents and do all their listing shots. 3. I manage and control the powerpoint content for large corporate trade shows. If you've ever seen a CEO at a conference speaking to slides, I am the person behind the stage on headset running their slide deck. I did this as an "employee" for about ten years and then set out on my own. I do about 20 shows a year all over the world. The rest of the time is spent doing #'s 1 and 2. This flexibility has allowed me to take care of my grandfather and his medical needs and also tend to my mom who is in the process of surviving cancer. I think my neighbors assume I'm a CIA assassin with my travel schedule. smile.gif Like Steve said...one of the keys to this is living simply and minimizing debt. Also, there really isn't a career path into the PPT work. My phone rings because of my reputation, not because people have to use me. This also means I earn it every day. Which is how I prefer it. It keeps me sharp.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 1:44 pm 
I'm a CPA. Specifically, a tax guy. Being a tax pro in the right CPA firm isn't a bad career option for a hiker around here. The weather is usually bad from January through April anyway, so I don't mind working long hours during "tax season". Unfortunately, the extended filing deadline for corporations is September 15--smack dab in the middle of my favorite time to explore the high country. Historically I've had enough flexibility in my schedule during that time of year to make it work. Again, it all depends on finding the right firm. Public accounting generally sounds super boring to non-accountants, but the unemployment rate is low, a lot of the work is interesting (to me) and I enjoy the teamwork and building and maintaining relationships with clients and helping them. Unfortunately, the barriers to entry (education requirement and CPA exam) are somewhat high. I'm in the process of setting up my own firm (see Steve's job versus making money point, above). I just got my firm license from the Board of Accountancy yesterday. up.gif

Tomlike

Tomlike
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 2:27 pm 
sounds like the grass can always be greener... Going on year 2 at an environmental non-profit. medium/low pay, but stress free and 7 weeks paid vacation. in other words; high quality of life, but no trips to Europe and no early retirement

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 3:07 pm 
Dante wrote:
I'm a CPA. * * * The weather is usually bad from January through April anyway
My CPA doesn't ski either. wink.gif
Dante wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up my own firm. . . . I just got my firm license from the Board of Accountancy yesterday. up.gif
Congrats and good luck!