Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Anchovies schooling off LaJolla pier.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 2:54 pm 
I thought this was so cool that it deserved its own thread. This was filmed off Scripps Pier and includes underwater footage. Though it looks like fun, swimming in amongst a prey species might be risky. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 4:43 pm 
up.gif That's cool. Lots of little fishies. Yeah, no kidding you wouldn't want to be in the middle of the school when the predators arrive.

Conifers

Conifers
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 5:14 pm 
delicious.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 6:39 pm 
cool!

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 7:19 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
up.gif That's cool. Lots of little fishies. Yeah, no kidding you wouldn't want to be in the middle of the school when the predators arrive.
You'll notice there are sharks swimming around in that school at several points in the video. My guess is humans don't look enough like Anchovies for it to be a big concern.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 7:42 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
You'll notice there are sharks swimming around in that school at several points in the video. My guess is humans don't look enough like Anchovies for it to be a big concern.
I saw a small shark below the school at some point in the video. I've also seen plenty of nature programs with large schools of prey fish (bait balls) that get hit from all directions fairly indescriminately by various types of predators. I guess as long as you follow the 5 D's of Dodgeball (dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge) you'll be fine.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 10:00 pm 
True, all the comments about Leopard Sharks. The YouTube comments also mention swimming with Leopard Sharks. But I am not talking about them or the Seven Gilled Sharks either. I am talking about Great Whites which frequent that area as well and may be attracted to all the commotion. An abalone diver was taken by a Great White in 1959 near the Cove. And there have been occasional sightings and beach closures at LaJolla Shores. I am not wanting to generate shark hysteria, just risk assessment. Everyone has a different comfort level. I lived in San Diego years ago and swam all up and down that beach. It's a beautiful area. I often swam out a ways--alone off this and other shores. Just north of this pier, I saw a group of dolphins heading south one day. I rushed out to meet them, they dove and passed beneath me. Awesome feeling! I would probably think twice about going out to swim in a giant school of anchovies. It does look like fun. But it's possible that all that activity would draw more predators in. Obviously it didn't happen since this was filmed two days ago. People get mistakenly bitten like the woman training off Avila Pier in 2003. She was wetsuit clad, finned and seen swimming with a group of seals. I remember being stunned by it because I used to swim in small coves near Avila Beach too. We had our share of seals sunning on the rocks near us sometimes. paranoid.gif At any rate, I am glad the video was enjoyed. It was an amazing event. The water looked warm and inviting. wink.gif ~z Here's a quote from Scripps Oceanography: A massive school of Northern Anchovy formed a dark band off La Jolla on July 8, 2014. Scripps scientists, who haven't seen such an aggregation in more than 30 years, said it is unclear why the unusually large school moved into shallow waters off the coast. Members of the Scripps Marine Vertebrate Collection have collected samples for study.

mgd

mgd
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 10:03 pm 
I wonder if are they enrolled in the core curriculum?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 11:23 pm 
Pretty clearly a shark in amongst the school from 0:37 - 0:58 in the bottom half of the frame, moving downward and to the right while another moves along the edge of the school from the bottom to about the middle of the frame, between the swimmers and the school. Notice the big opening/clearing in the school? Anywhere there's a hole in the school there's usually something the anchovies view as a threat. Another shark can be seen from about 1:10 - 1:30 right in the middle of the frame. When the girl dives into the school she comes up on a shark at about 1:57 and follows it 'til about 2:04 I guess those are the relatively tame Leopard Sharks? Swimming with great whites doesn't sound like a good idea.